Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade soap

Banned

Homemade soap

who here makes it?

any chance I could try a bar before I go about trying it myself?

I could trade or pay for it. thanks

Boolit Master
    We use home made soap, but buy ours from a local producer that makes it out of goat milk and other ingredients... My wife is wanting to try her hand at it, but we haven't gathered all the stuff to make it yet. Honestly, I really like what we've been getting better than store bought. Wish I could help you out with true "home made", but if you want to try a bar of what I've got here, PM me and I'll see if I can't get one to you.

what is the benefit to making home made soap, I saw a thread on here a while back about people looking for lye soap. I guess being a younger fellow I don't quite get some of these things.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Try finding non scented soap. Some of us are allergic to that perfumy stuff that fills shelves.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I use lye soap almost exclusively during hunting season.
    1 pound Monteca Lard
    1 pound of Red Devil Lye
    Kettle with 3 gallons +/- of water.

Bring water to a boil in the pot, add lye and stir well. Add lard and dissolve using a wooden paddle or oar for stirring. Stir well and cook down. This will yield about one gallon of soap liquid. Use wooden or cast iron forms for cooling. Aluminum and tin molds have given me a reaction that makes the soap almost unusable. For small bars you could use your ingot molds! Or, you could use paper cupcake wrappers in a tin for cupcake size bars of soap.

For catfish soap, double the lard and use half of the lye. Add fish oil right before pouring into molds.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    BTW.... Here ya go.
    http://www.millersoap.com/
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    Go to soapgoods.com has all you need to make your own soap.
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    BTW.... Here ya go.
    http://www.millersoap.com/
    This is the best site I've found for making soap. Basically a one stop for everything you need to know including some great recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by rhadamanthos12 View Post
    what is the benefit to making home made soap, I saw a thread on here a while back about people looking for lye soap. I guess being a younger fellow I don't quite get some of these things.
    You can't buy soap in the store that compares to home made. Home made soap will actually heal dry skin. My hands used to crack and bleed at the knuckles every winter requiring the use of hand lotion to keep them from hurting. I haven't use hand lotion in a couple years now since I started using my own soap.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    who here makes it?

any chance I could try a bar before I go about trying it myself?

I could trade or pay for it. thanks
    The stuff I have now isn't very "manly" (sandalwood scent for the girls) but I'd be glad to send you a couple bars to try out if you want. PM me your address and I'll get a couple bars out to you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hiram1 View Post
    Go to soapgoods.com has all you need to make your own soap.
    Great link. I wonder if gear and runfive would be interested in this product in their quest for the ultimate lube formula?

http://www.soapgoods.com/product_inf...18f25652bd6386

Boolit Buddy
    Jailer, How 'bout those 'Jackets!! Suprised to see someone from home on here. Sent you a PM.

Boolit Master
    Blammer,
    PM your mailing info and I will get some in the mail to you.
    swamp

Jailer anyway that I could get a sample or two? Living in the Southwest my entire family gets dry skin, I would very much be interested in something that keeps us from going through so much lotion.
    Last edited by rhadamanthos12; 03-24-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Wife has made ALL our soap for last 25+ years; basic "manteca" (lard) and lye (have to get it from chem. supply house - "Red Devil" has been pulled from the market as "hazmat"!!!), plus occasional honey and/or other odorants/additives. Cast(!) into 2-1/2" id " x 9" PVC tubes, pushed out when semi-cured and sliced 3/4" - 1" thick with wire "choker". Takes about one month to fully cure; lasts 3X as long as commercial soaps and smells and feels MUCH better! Sorry, no samples - when we offer them, we get swamped; but go to "Jailer's" sources above, read up on it and make your own; it's easy but takes some patience.

She also makes ALL our own breads - dozens of varieties. Favorite bedtime snack is a couple of thick slices, still warm from the afternoon baking, with salt and butter, the classical "gift of hospitality". No, we're NOT "hippy's", but the "old ways" are still the best in many cases (even if I am writing this on our "computulator").

I'm currently spinning 3-ply wool yarn from our "organic weedwackers" for her to knit into a sweater - another topic I won't go into just now.

floodgate
    Last edited by floodgate; 03-24-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Master

Has anyone used lanolin like from randyrat in their soap recipe? Saw a couple of members talking about making skin cream like mixtures out of it for psoriasis and dry skin. Seems like it would be good in it. I make lip balm out of local bees wax, lanolin and coconut oil that works good for us. Got some lanolin coming from randyrat now.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rhadamanthos12 View Post
    Jailer anyway that I could get a sample or two? Living in the Southwest my entire family gets dry skin, I would very much be interested in something that keeps us from going through so much lotion.
    Sure, PM me your address.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Has anyone used lanolin like from randyrat in their soap recipe? Saw a couple of members talking about making skin cream like mixtures out of it for psoriasis and dry skin. Seems like it would be good in it. I make lip balm out of local bees wax, lanolin and coconut oil that works good for us. Got some lanolin coming from randyrat now.
    No need to. Home made soap has all the glycerin still in it. No need for lanolin to get the moisturizing benefits from it.

Commercial soap doesn't have the glycerin because it's not really soap, it's mild detergent with chemical emulsifiers and lathering agents. It strips the moisture and oils from your skin. Home made soap moisturizes so well you can wash your hair with it and it won't dry your hair or scalp out.

thank you much appreciated, PM on the way.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I make the plain old fashioned lye soap plus I use some of Millers recipes. I haven't made any in several months. I usually have a waiting line of folks wanting some.
    I use the cold process method. It is pretty easy but I'd suggest a stick blender instead of a wooden spoon or paddle. It's a lot faster.

This is pictures of Lye "White" and one of Millers recipies, "Colored".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lye Soap.jpg   Soap 1.jpg  
    Last edited by Down South; 03-24-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Banned

thanks guys I'll look into it and thanks for the offers too!

I think I'll try to make it later this summer.

Hey guys, if its not to much bother, could I get a bar from one of you?
    The wife is allergic to some of the garbage in the store and we've been thinking of trying to make some ourselves. Theres nothing like the satisfaction of being self suficiant and making it yourself.

Does this also work as shampoo?
    I just use soap on my head since I buz off my hair anyway, but was wondering about using it for womens shampoo.

Does bacon grease have place in a homemade soap recipe? I've got well over a gallon of it in the freezer box. Don't know that I want to smell like.
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast