6.5X50
    7X57
    7mm Mag
    30-30
    30-06
    8X57
    338 Mag
    45-70

Whatever starting data you have that will get me in the ball park would be appreciated.

Due to an ordering error I will have a LIFETIME supply of it, but it cost me an additional hazmat fee.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-29-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

i was always told to use red dot's starting data . btw ? congrats on finding a jug of it !!
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Moderator Emeritus

Use red dot data by weight. promo is remanufactured from other lots and can vary more than normal between lots in VMD. So anytime you start using a volume measure, reweigh charges to be on the safe side. I have used quite a bit of it and never had a problem substituting it for reddot weight for weight. Not the cleanest stuff you'll ever shoot, but when I could buy it for 1/2 the price of RD, Bullseye, or 231 it makes a lot of sense.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

I had planned to order it and some primers back during the fall and never got around to it until the "Big Buy" of 12-13 made everything I had put off ordering disappear from the shelves. Can save a lot of money with the AR Upper that I had planned to get in anticipation of building a decent shooting rifle.

I finally saw it in stock and ordered some . . . due to a mess up in my order I'll get more than my original plan, but since most of my shooting in fun stuff, I will run out of lead and primers before I run out of powder now. I plan to use a lot of it in cast boolit loads in the rifle.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I accidentally slipped up on 2 kegs in January for $85. Jumped on it even though I don't have a particular use in mind. Sold one to a friend who shoots a lot of 45 ACP.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Pistolas
    45 ACP

Whatever starting data you have that will get me in the ball park would be appreciated.

Due to an ordering error I will have a LIFETIME supply of it, but it cost me an additional hazmat fee.

With .45acp. an H&G #68 cast bullet (Lasercast and several people make these) is a SWC, basically 200 grains (actual weight varies a bit).

Since we're been using this since the 70's. youcan either use:

4.7 grains of 231 for a nice mild practice round (with a 16-18 lb recoil spring) or, 5.8 grains of 231 for hardball equivalent load. Back in the days of Cooper, we loaded 6.0, but it's a "warm" load.

We tried Bullseye, but very dirty and nasty, requires a firm crimp. Unique didn't stand up, some people are using titegroup, but you need something like a Star for it, since a Dillon is so loose in tolerances, you'll get the powder everywhere unless you use one of the turret presses like a Lyman (we used a Spar T, but the new one has a different name).

So that you understand the use of this load, in the 70's and early 80's, when you shot IPSC, you practiced 2-3000 rounds a month. SO people practied harder than that. It's why we loved the Star. I've seen the "warm" load take pigs and deer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ah.....rojkoh, you did get that he is asking about Promo, not 231?

I can second the idea of duplicating Red Dot data and checking your measure to see if the density is different from lot to lot, and also if it is different than Red Dot. It just so happens my current lot of Promo throws the same weight charge with the same measure settings as Red Dot does, at least my current lot of Red Dot, anyway.

I don't guarantee yours will, so check. The nice thing about Promo is it gets hardball equivalent loadings in the 45 ACP with 230 LRN's using less powder than many other alternatives. 4.8 grains gets ball equivalent with 230's and 5 grains around 900 fps or a bit more with the HG 68's. 4 grains and a 200 makes a nice mild load that will cycle standard sprung 1911's.

I do not recommend larger flaker powders in the Lee Pro Auto Disk measure in quantities much below 3.8 grains or so due to bridging issues. This includes Promo as well as some others like Red Dot, Green Dot, 700X, etc.