Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with 45 colt cast

Boolit Buddy

problem with 45 colt cast

is it a common problem to have with 45 colt to not like shallower boolits?
    i was using the boolits i cast for my 45 acp in my 45 colt and the rounds were varing among the rounds some would almost squib others fired light others wound fire fine any suggestions, just got a new mold that i think might help its a deeper boolit .

Boolit Master
    Hello, justing..By "shallower"..do you mean shorter...lighter bullets? I am assuming you are using bullet designed for .45ACP in .45 long-colt case? How are you crimping if at all..and how firm? You also left out alot of details..like what firearm you are using these in, what powder, etc.

Moderator Emeritus

You need to slug your bores. If a typical bbl for a 45 runs .452-453 then it would not like .451 bullets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Try weighing each powder charge and use a powder of appropriate burn rate for lighter boolits in that caliber.

Gear

Boolit Master

I don't use .451 cast even in my ACPs. So cast and sized to .452 or even as cast 45ACP boolits should work fine as far as size goes.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    More info.......bullet/powder combo (bullet weight and powder used/charge weight), bore diameter to bullet size/diameter would also give us more information to help you out.

Boolit Buddy

sorry i am using a lee mold it .452 240 gr over win 231 with a roll crinp

Boolit Master

Still not much to go on. So far we know it is a 45cal boolit in the 240gr range. And you are using some Win231. What size are you actually sizing the boolit to? Or are you sizing? If you are loading as cast, what size is the boolit as cast? How much of that boom stuff are you using? 1gr? 49gr? What is your OAL?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	65181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	65182

Boolit Buddy

on the left the mold that's been giving me trouble, on the right the new mold i hope will fix it

Boolit Buddy

new mold is 265 gr

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmm_by_oscar_ojisan-d4yda7d.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	65184

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy

tumble lubed not sized all come out at .452 using large magnum primers with 6.5 gr of 231 OAL is 1.59

HMmmmmm, so you were using a 240gr tl bullet in the 45acp?? The shallow(tumble lube grooves) have nothing to do with how good or if your powder goes off. You need to have the correct powder charge for that bullet when used in 45lc, not 45 acp, Are you using a reloading manual or just "wing'in it" ? Are you lubing those bullets? if so, with what?
    Going by your posts, we don't really know whats going on and it has nothing to do with the bullets.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Banned

Boolit Buddy

using the lee modern reloading manual for my data, and the powder charge is different between the acp and the colt lubing with lee liquid alox

If your rounds are going from squibs to full power something isn't right with the amount of powder being put into each case. The bullet has nothing to do with it unless they are being pushed in or out from recoil, your roll crimp should stop that though.
    Sooooo, are you making sure each charge is the same? is your seating debth of the bullet the same on each round? If those two are ok , we'll go from there. Are you getting a good primer strike(even debth dimple in fired primer)?
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Buddy

i am using a lee turret mold so the seat depth is all set i check every 5th for length all powder charges are the same using the lee auto disk and a scale, firing in a new judge all good primer strikes, after i fire them i place the spent round in a box primer up and all strikes seem the same.

Boolit Master
    Now I know................ however assuming your reloading practices are consistent i.e. COAL, crimp and primer seating, I would venture to say that the Lee TL 452-230-TC needed a harder crimp or about .5 grains more to ignite consistently. I would also try a standard primer with 231 especially if you have a light crimp because magnum primers can move the bullet out of crimp before there is sufficient powder burn. The larger Lee 452-255-SWC design is a longer/heavier design that may help in a revolver with powder burn or ignition consistency especially when using a magnum primer with quicker powder.
    Last edited by RobS; 03-24-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast