RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Your opinion

Your opinion

I have a Remington 700 Synthetic in .30-06 and a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06, around 1980 vintage I think. I have not shot either of them so I will assume they are equally accurate. Feel free to dispute that if you wish. I have owned both brands before and my experience was that while the accuracy of the Winchesters was acceptable, the Remingtons would all shoot under one minute of angle. Another Remington advantage was the easier trigger adjustment. Another the longer magazine box, rounds could be loaded as long as 3.6". Not so in the Winchester, but I like its bolt location and safety much better, and I prefer a wood stock to plastic. So tell me what you think, maybe one of you will point out something that will strike a chord with me and help me make a decision.

Banned

Id take the remington also. For just the reasons you stated. Ive owned quite a few of both and have had good and bad shooting winch. but every rem ive owned has been an exceptional shooter.

Boolit Master

Also lots of aftermarket goodies for the Remington. And easier to fit a new barrel for it that comes to pass. And you can probably pass along the M70 and fund another M700 since alot of people think there is collectors value to any M70.

Banned

so your question is?

which one to keep?

Boolit Grand Master
    Art--

I would lean toward the 700 more than the 70, they tend toward tighter tolerances and better accuracy. I've had about a dozen 700's and 7 Model 70's, and the 30-06 examples of the Winchesters all had/have throats of .310-.311". The Rems ALL had throats of .3085"-.309". That might account for the Remington reputation of better accuracy, both jacketed and cast.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    If you just had one 35 Whelen, then your decision on the disposition of those would be pretty easy.

Keep the Winchester for now and convert the Remington.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master

Bass,

coverting to another chambering (35 whelen or 280 two that came to mind) is what I was aiming at. Your suggestion is a good one.

My opinion is... Keep the one you want and get rid of the other. ... Unless you want to keep them both and that is OK with me.

In Remebrance

Art- The Winnie's value has gone up 25-50% since they stopped making them. Might make real nice trade goods, or a nicer investment if you want to hang onto it. Either or.