Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: barry darrs

Boolit Mold

barry darrs

i tried to make the recipe and it seems to hard and brittle. i cant seem to take the boolits out with out it cracking. should i add more vaseline or beeswax?

Banned

The problem you're having is probably due to the ultra-refinement of today's Vaseline. Assuming you made it with equal parts canning paraffin, Vaseline, and about 1/50 part RCBS oil-based case lube, you might try adding a tablespoon of chainsaw bar oil or Lucas engine oil stabilizer to help plasticize the wax. It doesn't take much. If you left out the case lube, that's part of the problem. Beeswax is not the answer for Darr lube.

Gear

I added the STP oil treatment and a splash of lanolin for its reported tackiness. Gear would know whether the STP is doing the same thing as the chainsaw bar oil, or is worse, or whatever. Default to his advice.

FWIW i tried pulling the boolits out of the solidifed pan, no luck, most came out with grooves half empty or with large chunks sticking to it. Probably the problem is in my recipe and could be fixed but what worked for me was using flexible silicon baking dishes. $2 a pop at thrift stores. Also a kake cutter worked.

I just found out that beeswax based lubes are much nicer to work with. Took me a while to find a source of beeswax but i should have just listened to these guys and bought from member RandyRat

Banned

you'd be surprised how many different chainsaw bar oils there are.
    it does share some ingredients with stp, depending on which one you use they are very similar.
    come to think of it lucas is similar to stp [closer to the old version]

Banned

True, probably a lot more than we have around here where it never gets very cold. Anything with some napthenic-based, high-viscosity oil and a healthy dose of polybutene will add the slide, tack, and flex needed by paraffin/vaseline mixes.

Gear

I add more Vaseline if its brittle.Also STP in small amounts if making Darr #2

George
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Mold
    so i tried shooting about 35 rounds tonight. i started getting some lead build up and its shooting low left. im shooting a ruger blackhawk 357 with 5 grains of unique in a 38 caseing. it seems like the lead starts around the beginning of the barrel. i heard if the bullet is seated to deep it can cause issues, if so how much would that affect the leading issue

Banned

Sounds like you don't have a lube problem, you have Rugeritis AKA thread choke.

Gear

Banned

low left is how you are placing your finger on the trigger.

Boolit Mold
    well its kinda all over low left. i have always been a good shot with this gun until tonight. is there anything to do to help with the thread choke. ive never heard of that before

Boolit Bub
    It works better with a equal amount of beeswax also.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My twist on Darrshu
    14oz of the cheapest store brand petrolium jelly.
    16oz of cheap candle/parifin wax
    1+- oz of any old foofoo candle
    3 tbsp STP,the full tilt cut a chunk off don't bother to try pouring it under 70 degrees kind.

I use the foofoo candle bowl on a candle warmer to melt it all . Since I use it for plain lube grooves,tumble lube and paper patch lube water proofing,it lives in the candle bowl .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .