WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope Covers in the field?

Boolit Man

Scope Covers in the field?

Good Afternoon;

One of the few days I was able to get out hunting this year, it was raining. Since I only had a few days to get out (I was unsuccessful, but I was out there), I strapped on the rain gear, loaded up the front stuffer, and went out in it. The problem was that no matter how I carried my rifle, I got water on the lenses of my scope. So, aside from the bikini style covers (those are fine for when the gun is in the case, but I don't want to mess with them in the field) and the flip up style (they seem effective, but could look a little dorky), is there any other option that you all like?

D
    Never trust a skinny chef, a fat personal trainer, or anyone who can't stand beer.

Blessed are those who are cracked, for they shall let in the light.

Banned

take an old car inner tube and cut a band out of it.

Boolit Master
    I use the flip up kind on my hunting rifles. After you use them for a while they become quieter when you open them. Some of the newer ones that Leupold makes for their scopes have a magnet to hold them open or closed, not cheap though.

Boolit Master

Butler Creek flip ups are my choice.....dale

One other choice would be the see-through type covers. they have a flat lens held in place by a slip on cover for both the eyelens and the objective.You can see through them to shoot, or slip them off if they have rain drops,fogged up or snow on the lense.

Good Shooting

Lindy

I love the butler creek flip ups, and think they add class to the rifle.

Boolit Master
    After spending $700-800 or more on a scope I would not want to put a cheap see through scope cap cover on it.

Butler Creek are the way to go. Fast and quiet. They have a size to fit virtually every scope I have ever had. Keeps rain out but even more important, you won't believe the amount of dust they prevent from getting on your lenses.

rmcc

Boolit Master
    Butler creek and add a little felt or some type of soft padding between the plastic to make them silent.

I take my Butler creek flip ups off in the rain, and polish the lens with "Cat C r a p"
    No, water spots & zero fogging

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	89578

REI Co-op is where you get it for 7 bucks
    Last edited by Lead Fred; 12-05-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    I really like the new Leupold flip-ups, but they're $80+ a pair, and only fit newer Leupold's. I use the Butler Creek's on most everything that I can fit them on, I have a couple where the bolt clearance is too tight to allow them. On those I use the bikini, with a minor mod. Take a black cable tie and attach the scope cover to the scope just forward, (or aft) of the turrets. When you pop the cover off, it will flop to either side & you won't be searching for a pocket to stuff it in, (or dropping it in the mud). If your rifle is going to be in & out of a scabbard, I suggest using some black electrical tape on the flip-up Butler Creek's; it will save you from reaching into your scabbard to locate & retrieve the objective cover that got pulled off. Hope this helps.

-klaus

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Butler Creek flip ups are my choice.....dale
    Use these on all my hunting scopes.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
    Butler Creek are the way to go. Fast and quiet. They have a size to fit virtually every scope I have ever had. Keeps rain out but even more important, you won't believe the amount of dust they prevent from getting on your lenses.

rmcc
    +1 for this idea. Any scope of mine THAT I CARRY has Butler Creek on it.

Victor
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Bub
    Now for all you elk hunters, who use those Butler Creek, I found out the hard way once while having my rifle in the scabbard. We spotted some elk down in the valley below ua, I pulled my model 70 .338 win mag out of the scabbard and tied up the horse and walked toward a place to get a good solid rest. I had my eyes on the elk, some cows had been looking towards us. I then pushed a round in the chamber with the bolt but NO CIGAR!

The bolt would not close. The Butler Creek had turned sideways just enough so it caught the bolt when closing. This came very close to causing me to loose that bullet elk 280 yards away in the valley. I took them off afterward and gave them away. No more Butler Creek for this hunter. I use a full length skirt on my hunting rifle scopes.
    Last edited by Chakta; 02-20-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    "GOD Bless America & Our Troops"

Boolit Bub
    What is a skirt cover? Sorry for the stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    I take my Butler creek flip ups off in the rain, and polish the lens with "Cat C r a p"

That stuff works very well on the motorbike helmet faceplate in the rain. Commute on the bike rear round except in the snow n ice.

Dave
    smilin jack

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    take an old car inner tube and cut a band out of it.
    Lloyd must be an old guy! All my rifles have inner tubes for scope covers except my 6.5x06., Has a 4 1/2-14 on it and I just use the caps that came with it. Never take it out in bad weather, just for shooting at target's!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post

Little trick I was told the keep the bathroom mirror from fogging while you take a shower. Polish it with a bar of hand soap! Gotta be cheaper than Cat **** and more use's!

Boolit Master
    I used to use a product called "Sea Gold" to keep the inside of my scuba mask from fogging. I'd rather use covers or caps on scopes, as I don't trust cleaners and coatings to not damage the coatings on the lenses, unless I know for sure it won't hurt them.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Perma-Banned
    Something has changed with the butler creek flip ups over the years, I have broke 2 in the last 2 years, my original set from 10-15 years ago lasted up until a few years ago, I did a Google search about the problem and it turned up plenty of results, lots of guys complaining about breaking them, they use to be made here in the US and now are made overseas, the last 2 that broke did it in the exact same place and it took very little to break them! The eye pieces are the ones that have broke, my dad just broke his old one this year as well, his was the old model that was made in here the USA. I started looking around for other options, the leupold aluma flips get really good reviews but only fit leupold and they are VERY expensive (100.00 a pair!) I found a cover that several guys were bragging on, it's called scope Guard Alaska, they are the bikini type style and are made of neoprene, I ordered one for my zeiss scope and the fit is perfect, and are very well made, they definately will protect the scope, the entire scope, not just the lenses. I wont get to try it out til next deer/elk season but I think I'm gonna like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast