Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope Covers in the field?

Boolit Buddy

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Something has changed with the butler creek flip ups over the years, I have broke 2 in the last 2 years, my original set from 10-15 years ago lasted up until a few years ago, I did a Google search about the problem and it turned up plenty of results, lots of guys complaining about breaking them, they use to be made here in the US and now are made overseas, the last 2 that broke did it in the exact same place and it took very little to break them! The eye pieces are the ones that have broke, my dad just broke his old one this year as well, his was the old model that was made in here the USA. I started looking around for other options, the leupold aluma flips get really good reviews but only fit leupold and they are VERY expensive (100.00 a pair!) I found a cover that several guys were bragging on, it's called scope Guard Alaska, they are the bikini type style and are made of neoprene, ...
    The Alaskascopeguard is similar to the 'old' Butler Creek neoprene covers but with an important addition to retain the cover to the rifle when you take it off. I don't thing I would 'slingshot' it off the scope per the instructions but the retention is a great idea. The plus is the cost and the added protection to your scope. I have 'lost' the slip on Butler Creek (and other brands) when brush busting and in extreme cold conditions. And yeah they still 'leak' in heavy downpours. The inner tube works but try finding a tube in todays world and getting a good fit. Note: if you already have a neoprene full scope cover you can add a retention feature if it does not have one. Think, velcro and very small diameter bungee cord! Also, since the old neoprene covers are considered 'not cool' and out of date they can sometimes be found in the dollar box at gunshows and your LGS.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    I've used Saran wrap in a pinch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I've used Saran wrap in a pinch.
    That's not a bad idea.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I've used Butler Creeks for many years. I hate to hear that their quality has gone down.

Perma-Banned
    I tried the Scope Guard Alaska covers out, I personally REALLY like them, i bought 2 more for Leupold 3X9 scopes. Turns out i live about 30-40 mins from the Co. i drove over and got these last 2, Great guy, and Great product!!

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    take an old car inner tube and cut a band out of it.
    It took me a minute but you're saying about a three inch wide ring of inner tube pulled horizontally around the scope??

Genius!!

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    What is a skirt cover? Sorry for the stupid question
    If you're stupid then ther'es two of us. What's a skirt??

Boolit Grand Master

I have several sets with the elastic straps that run from front cover to rear. I installed them with one strap between the rings. When I flip them off they stay on the rifle this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Little trick I was told the keep the bathroom mirror from fogging while you take a shower. Polish it with a bar of hand soap! Gotta be cheaper than Cat **** and more use's!
    UHHH NOOO!! Not putting anything called cat **** or hand soap on my leupolds. NOPE

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Butler Creek flip ups are my choice.....dale
    Agreed!!!

I used to hunt in S.E. Alaska. They make good fire starters too and a little wad of Kleenex inside and over the lenses precludes fogging.

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Butler Creek flip ups are my choice.....dale

^^+++1^^ You can open them by cupping your hand over the covers and gentling opening them and it is very quiet.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Saran wrap has always worked when it's raining. No issues with it and a rubber band, over the scope and end of the barrel.

Simple enough to remove in the stand, and decent enough if you're stalking you can make a quick shot without too much issue.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master

It's a matter of personal preference, so don't take offense...

I don't like flip-ups, because they block my view and lessen situational awareness. Where I hunt I might (and have) shoot one deer out of a bunch; they all go different directions; which one is mine? Sorry the view for that important split second after the shot was blocked by the flip-up.

I don't like to hunt with any kind of other scope cover, even though I do a lot of bush whacking, for two reasons. One is I might need to do a jump shot, and removing a cover while I should be mounting and aiming is a lost deer. The other, for my bolt actions at least, they can interfere with the bolt handle.

I do use scope covers, primarily the bikini style. I remove them at the start of the hunt, and put them on at the end.

That's what works for me. If I hunted out west where I can have a 3 minute whispered conversation before taking a shot (like all those hunting videos), I might do things differently.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned
    The OP is using a muzzle loader with a scope and is worried that flip up scope covers will "look a little dorky"? Is there some proper decorum for what your rifle wears in the woods?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The OP is using a muzzle loader with a scope and is worried that flip up scope covers will "look a little dorky"? Is there some proper decorum for what your rifle wears in the woods?
    That's a really good question. Again I think it is a matter of personal preference. For me, I strongly avoid pink and yellow polka-dots. Others may think differently.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    That's a really good question. Again I think it is a matter of personal preference. For me, I strongly avoid pink and yellow polka-dots. Others may think differently.
    OK, I might draw the line there but I think flip up covers are perfectly acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    What is a skirt cover? Sorry for the stupid question
    Never heard the term before but my guess

or

or

scope coats - yes, skirts - nope
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    take an old car inner tube and cut a band out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by natty bumpo View Post
    It took me a minute but you're saying about a three inch wide ring of inner tube pulled horizontally around the scope??

Genius!!
    Lloyd, I've been doing that for 45 years, works great and doesn't cost much. You can make 20 or so covers out of an inner tube too!
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

I like the Butler Creek flip caps (fitted...not the multiflex ones)...I don't use an Eyepiece cap at all...just the Objective. Generally, the only time my caps are in place is when I'm walking/standing in the rain where its over my shoulder or when it's in the case. If the rifle is in my lap I just keep a gloved hand over the Eyepiece side to keep droplets off if its snowing/raining.

I see on their website they now make a cap that is clear. That could be kept down in good or bad weather. But I've not tried one.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast