MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: LNL - Having second thoughts...

Boolit Bub

LNL - Having second thoughts...

...AFTER having bought the press.

Did as much research as I could here and on the S&W forum and decided the LNL AP fitted by needs (200 rounds per week) and budget - I haven't set it up yet but started reading some more threads to get aquainted with the machine while on vacation and came across a lot of negative reports particularly on the priming system but also on shell plate timing.

I bought it to simplify my life and allow me to shoot more. I don't want to spend time'tweaking' things every reloading session.

I've loaded on a single stage for over 20 years so ease of use and simplicity are important to me. I'd appreciate some honest opinions from Hornady LNL users before I decide to keep this machine or go for something like the Lee Turret. I love reloading but my time is limited and I'm no good at tinkering with troubled machines.

Thanks, Racingsnake

Boolit Master

Racingsnake,

I have two single stage special purpose presses and two progressives, a Dillon 650 and a Hornady LNL AP. I love my Dillon but to be honest lately I have used the LNL AP much more. The reason is I am loading 5 calibers on a regular basis an the LNL AP has a much faster set-up time.

Like all progressives the LNL AP has a few quirks. Timing is not one of them, once it's set you're good to go for a long time. By the time anything wears to the point that the timing has to be adjusted you'll be very familiar with the machine and it won't be a problem.

The primer system just has to be paid attention to. It actually works quite well (not as well as the Dillon but I like it). The problem comes from the fact that it is a "closed" underslung anvil. If any debri finds its way into the primer ram fixture it will (and does) prevent the primer ram from retracting. This essentially locks up the shell plate and if you are smoking on the press you'll bend the shuttle guide rod and probably break the rod holder before you realize what's going on. Hornady has a fix to prevent rod and holder damage but you have to be aware of what is happening so you can fix it. The fix is quite simple, raise the shellplate, unscrew the primer ram, hold it open manually with your fingers and blast it with a little compressed air. You're good to go then.

I've loaded well over 50,000 rounds on the LNL AP and can tell you without hesitation that it is a fine progressive press.

Boolit Buddy
    give it some time,like you I started reloading over 20 years ago on a rockchucker I bought a xl650
    a couple years ago and at first I thought it was a piece of tinkerers junk but after awhile I got
    used to the little nuances and now I love it

I keep a small brush handy just to clean any crud from the shell plate. Good illumination and an ergo handle are also handy. I didn't have to do any tweaks to get mine running, just clean it and lube it. Be careful of the case retaining spring and you won't need a replacement (but it's good to have one on hand).
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Banned

How about setting it up first, learning how to use it, and then giving us some first-hand thoughts? Believe it or not, a lot of people don't care for Dillon presses. Fault can be found with anything.

Gear

The biggest issue with timing that I've heard is that when setting the pawls up to advance each time, you have to set it up at the speed your going to pull the handle. If you go real slow when tweaking the timing and then just start cranking away for loading, it tends to overshoot the advance. When it is in time there are no problems and many are setup fine from the factory. Rightfully you should never break any part of any press unless your slamming the handle with no reguards to whats going on, then all presses will break. I hate priming on any press so I've always hand primed, never even set my system up to know how it works. Just by looking at it I will say to take some fine sandpaper and smooth every part out good(even wax it like your tablesaw, or downhill ski's), deburr all holes and make sure nothing can cause drag.
    I have the bushing adaptor for my Rock Chucker and swap any dies back and forth between it and the LNL quickly and without adjusting, a great option.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Perma-Banned

I have had both over the years. I like the lock n load. The primer situation is easily handled by leaving the allen key a little loose. Somewhere on youtube there is a video of simple fixes.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had the LNL for several months now and am finally getting enough time to work with it and learn all of the in's and outs. Most everything above is true. The primer system works fine but you have to clean the shuttle up to start with and keep everything clean after that. Little shavings from lead bullets, powder, anything at all will lock it up. I had a very slight timing issue that took about an 1/8 of a turn to fix and something the guy from Hornady customer service said made perfectly good sense. He said to pull the handle the same every time. After you use it a while you will understand why he says that. What I like about he LNL is how quickly and inexpensively I can go from one caliber to another.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 03-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Set it up and start reloading. 2 years ago when I first got my LnL AP I had to adjust the timing and have not touched them since and I have over 10000 rounds loaded. Never messed with the priming system just put it together and started reloading. Just today I switched from small primer to large primer, set up my 45 dies (first time loading 45 on the LnL), loaded 500 cast 45's, set up a couple new 44 dies, loaded 500 44 cast, switched back to small primer, adjusted 38 dies to load 105 grain cast and loaded up 30 test loads with this new 105 grainer. Wanted the press set for small primer so after I test the 38's I can go into production of them.

If you are short on time and want to make more rounds then you can with a single stage then you are on the right track, I too loaded on a Rock Chucker for 20 + years and kinda got out of reloading because I could blow 2 hours of work in 20 minutes. Decided to get a progressive, picked the LnL AP and now i'm cranking out the rounds. I don't load fast on my LnL but just nice and steady.

I have not had trouble with the timing if I am pulling the handle at different speeds, just today the 45 and 38 cases loaded great and I moved right along but the 44 cases would sometimes hit the RCBS sizing die on the way in and need a nudge with the finger to get them in strait so I had to slow down the press stroke while loading 44's so I didn't ding up the case mouths.

As for the priming system what can I say, I don't wax or lube anything, didn't sand or ream anything, I just fill the tube and prime. Ya once about every 1000 rounds or so I might get some powder, dirt or brass in the system that jams things up put all it takes to clean it out is a little brushing while holding back the primer shuttle.

One thing you have to remember is people get these presses and think they are going to set them up and they will magically turn out ammo, when the slightest thing goes wrong the first thing they do is get on the internet and complain that its the machines fault when 9 times out of 10 its the operators fault but in this day and age of blame everyone but yourself what do you expect.

I would say at 200 rounds a week you will get bored in a hurry. I can load 200 rounds in a couple hours with a primer size switch, adjusting the powder drop and setting up the seater die for a new bullet. If the press is already set and all I have to do is add primers and powder 200 is an hour job at best.

Here is an old pic for your viewing pleasure complete with the $28.00 bullet feeder.
    Last edited by Muddydogs; 03-24-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for your opinions guys. Gear has a particularly good point on the blue presses - perhaps they are a bit better in certain area but I guess no product is completely without fault.

I'm back home today from vacation and going to open up the LNL box...

Best regards and thanks again. Racingsnake

Boolit Bub
    I have had my LnL for a few month and love. I had a problem with my cases hitting the sides of the decapping die and I had to I slow and nudge the case in. I called Hornady and they walked me through some test and then sent me a new shell plate and I have been great ever since. I have had no issues with timing or the primer system so far.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have had a LnL AP since they came out and it is a fine press that works just fine.

Progressives are not single stages and need a more attentive approach to their operation, there is a lot going on with each pull of the handle and it all needs to work together so set up time is crucial. Once it is running then just keep it clean, don't short stroke and don't force anything and all will be well. This applies to any progressive. The set up time is off set by the efficiency of production, a loaded round at each pull of the handle, notice I didn't say speed of production as running a progressive fast is another recipe for disaster.

These presses have a greater learning curve but once mastered then the do what they say, like most things worthwhile the more you put in the more you get out.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Banned

ive got 3 lnls. I dont own a 650 but have loaded a ton of ammo on them. In my opinion the 650 is hands down more reliable, especially if your running a case feeder on both. the 650 is kind of awkward to run without a case feeder though. So if i wanted to use a case feeder id take a 650 hands down and if i didnt want a case feeder id probably go with a lnl or a 550 (which is more reliable then either of the others) Both are good presses though for the most part. Far better then any of there other competition. the lnls do have timing issues you have to deal with and ive never seen a 650 out of time. the 650 is designed right out of the box for a case feeder and the lnl system is more of an add on afterthought and isnt as relible. Niether primer systems are a 100 percent reliable so ill give that one a toss up. That said i dont think theres a progressive made that has a primer system that is absolutely flawless. But in ether case if you take the time to blow them off once in a while and do your best to keep them clean they work pretty well. My advice to anyone who wants a first progressive is to get a 550. Nothings more reliable and if your used to a single stage youll think your loading as fast as lightning. Even for an avid loader like me. If all i had was my 550 I could get along just fine.

Boolit Master
    I have a RCBS press and a Hornady press. Both have quirks.
    I do love the work area on the Hornady and the 1/2 advance up and down.
    One feature I like on the RCBS ( piggy back) is the alignment pin that goes through the shell plate when its down.
    It can not go out of alignment.

If Hornady could add some thing similar man that would solve the indexing 100%

I have had a couple LNL's, a pre and post EZ ject. They both were capable of loading ammo without fuss. In the end they didn't do anything better than any of the Dillon's I have so I sold them. They don't resell like a Dillon but if you sell in this panic, I bet you get your money back.

I had one for a month, sent it back, got a Dillon 650 and never looked back. Mine was an older one and had ejection problems and timing problems. It was very smooth though and I liked the "double action." At the time I think you had to use Hornady dies or it was only a 4 station press. All these problems may be fixed now. I've never had a problem with the Dillon that was the fault of the press. I couldn't say that about the Hornady.

Jeff

Boolit Bub
    I have used my LNL for two years, I have not experience any timing issues. This year I have added the case feeder. I have used Hornady, Lee and RCBS dies without any problems. I would suggest cleaning the primer slide area under the shell plate every 1000 rounds. Other then this it has been a flawless press.

Boolit Mold
    I read everything that I could find when getting into reloading over a year ago. There are way more Dillon fans out there, but each brand has pros and cons. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either brand. My goals were to load for a wide variety of cartridges and if you do the math, Hornady really pulls ahead with cartridge changes costing half of Dillon.

You're going to do some tweaking with any press so be prepared to search, ask questions and spend a little time making it work for you. I've been really happy with the LNL AP and haven't had a reason to look back.

Boolit Bub
    You guys have given me a lot of good info to think about. Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    Racingsnake
    I dont even have a Hornady LNL. I have a Dillon 550. But if I were you Id set that baby up and start loading. You might love it . You might not. But you'll never know unless you try it. There is nothing out there that doesn't have a learning curve.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast