Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imr 3031

Imr 3031

Ok here is the deal, My kid, called and wants to load some medium range rounds for his 30-06 M1917, This is ALL he has to work with, Lee sized to .312, 150 gr. cast w/gaschecks, wax lubed,IMR 3031, Not to be rude, but plz dont recommend 4895,Trail boss etc, this is ALL he has to work with. I have no experiance with 3031 in cast and was hoping someone can come up with decent data. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Hi tawastom: I use 48 grs. imr 3031 under 150 gr. fmj in my
    M-1, pretty well duplicates military loads. For cast drop your
    charge to 35 grs. work up from there, till you get a load that
    works. The 1917 is a strong action, no problem with standard
    06 loads. For cast size to .313 in the 1917. Hope this helps.

not much difference than 4895 then, good, thanks !

Banned

I was just 5 minutes ago thinking nobody uses 3031 too much any more.
    I had a little a while back and burned it up and remember thinking it was a fine powder but I never hear anyone talking about it.
    then I open the browser and here is a thread on it.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Hi and welcome to the forum. From a Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets....34-39 grains of 3031 w/150 grain cast bullets. I'ld start with the 34 grain load and work up. 3031 is a medium powder and it is very versatile; works well over a broad spectrum of rifle cartridges. LLS

Boolit Grand Master
    4895 was a WWII development that was designed to be roughly equivalent to IMR 3031, but with shorter kernels to meter better. I'd start at about 32 grains and work up til I got to 42 grains, or until accuraccy falls off. For a 151 grain rn boolit, Lyman's third edition Cast Bullet Handbook gives 29 grains as the start and 42.5 grains max, with 1682 fps at the bottom and 2522 at the top from a 26 inch barrel. I've personally used 34.5 grain with good results from my sporterized Springfield.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I trust your "kid" has a load manual and more experience than here is my pile and I need to make this work. Blindly trusting information from you tube and random folks on the internet without checking load manuals might not be safe.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Quote Originally Posted by oldtoolsniper View Post
    I trust your "kid" has a load manual and more experience than here is my pile and I need to make this work. Blindly trusting information from you tube and random folks on the internet without checking load manuals might not be safe.
    +1

IMR 3031 was considered an excellent slow powder when it came out, and was widely praised in the gun magazines of the time. It is very forgiving of light loading, and so is excellent for use with cast bullets. It is also easily possible to put too much of it in a 30-06 case. Reliable, documented sources (e.g. loading manuals) are suggested.

Anybody can post on the Internet, even though we do have an exceptionally good group of people here on this site. There was a fellow in my shop once, who claimed to be an experienced reloader. As he watch me charge cases he commented "there's room for a lot more, why not fill them up?"

Gun shops are no better. A friend bought a Savage10ML-II and asked me to help him learn to use it. I told him to go to the shop and buy a pound of Accurate 5744. He came back with a bottle of Bullseye and said "the guy at the gun store said this was better, more shots per pound."

Boolit Master

rintinglen said it best, BUT

I must first add

Clean the barrel

Clean the barrel thoroughly

Clean barrel again

Foul barrel with 5-10 plinker rounds with cast boolit.

Lyman Manual 3 rd edition data
    150 grain boolit\IMR3031

29.0 1682

42.5 2522

Start at the bottom and work up till accuracy falls off.

Accuracy may fall off at two different points with that wide of a range of load data.

Being a cheapskate, I always use the lowest amount of powder that produces a precise load.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-24-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

My favorite loading in a 30/284 (similar capcaity to '06) is 38gr of 3031 with a cast 175gr boolit. does about 2550 fps out of my 28" barrel.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I like 3031 a whole bunch because it is extremely versatile with bore sizes and can handle light loads well. For example, 0.0005 case expansion is about perfect for it. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    best for accuracy in a little mini-Mauser I own in .223, one of my go-to powders in 45-70 and a good cast boolit powder in 30-30.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master

+10,000,000 on IMR3031. Very accurate with the 30-30.You will find "the load" in your 06

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    IMR 3031 is probably one of the best powders to have on hand at this shortage time. It is a top choice for .223,.308, 30-06 and 7MMmag for just a few. The go to powder for cast bullets in the 30 calibers. It is at times beat out by Varget but still a good one to have.
    Always look in a "few manuals" before using any PC information!!
    It is sad to say but there are people who have never even used a certain powder but will pass along things they have heard. I try to keep at least three pounds of IMR 3031 in my supply at all times.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

From Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition:

30-06 Springfield
    They used Winchester WLR primers in Winchester cases to come up with this data.
    Lee #C309-150-F
    OAL 2.984"
    BC - .264
    SD - .224

Suggested Starting Load for IMR 3031 is 30.5 grains
    Velocity: 1856 fps
    Pressure: 16,100 p.s.i.

Max Load for IMR 3031 is 41.5 grains
    Velocity: 2498 fps
    Pressure: 37,700 p.s.i.

He really should buy this manual and not take my word for this...
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I was just 5 minutes ago thinking nobody uses 3031 too much any more.
    I had a little a while back and burned it up and remember thinking it was a fine powder but I never hear anyone talking about it.
    then I open the browser and here is a thread on it.
    I use it for 30-30 and 35 Remington most all of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if there's others loading for those calibers with 3031 as well. I worked up my loads for these two calibers years ago--don't feel compelled to change. Of course, nobody shoots 30-30 or 35 Rem any more--we never seem to hear anybody talking about them--at least not in the gun mags LOL.

3031 has been one of my most used powders over many years. It is a good one as far as I am concerned.
    I have used it in 222 Rem, 30-30, 30-06, 308 and 243.
    I like to get data from bullet and powder manufacturers online. Other online stuff is interesting but suspect at times. Even if no ill intent is meant, typos happen too easily.

Do check loads in a manual or two for any powder or load.

In Remembrance

30 grains of IMR 3031 is my "go to load" for .30-06, .303 British, and 8X57 Mauser--all with 180 grain boolits. IMR3031 was originally developed for the .303 British cartridge to duplicate velocities of cordite loads, that's why it is "303"-1. It is a tad faster than IMR4895 but works in most applications that call for this powder.

Boolit Master
    Its a great powder. In fact if I could have only one rifle powder it would be IMR 3031.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Cast Hunter

IMR 3031 is my primary powder in a variety of .30 cals. In my 03A3 31 gns of 3031 pushes a 155 gn 311440 at 2017 FPS and is plenty accurate.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member