Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got bored, and tired of my sizers rolling around in a bowl...

Boolit Buddy

I got bored, and tired of my sizers rolling around in a bowl...

So I made this, not my best work, but I didn't want to drive out to the farm to use the drill press and router.

One hole is off by a noticeable bit, the rest are only off a little bit. It's been a long time since I've drilled 'freehand'

Does the job though, and rather well, seeing as how I didn't really measure anything, just threw it together in about half an hour or so.

I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master

I keep my in pill bottle, so I don't have a piece of wood that takes up so much space on my bench

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by miestro_jerry View Post
    I keep my in pill bottle, so I don't have a piece of wood that takes up so much space on my bench

Jerry

The way the bench is laid out, I have plenty of room for extra junk

And with this, I can tell when I'm missing one as well
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Now that is a very usable idea. Very nice.

Boolit Master

Good idea plus a fella could mark out the sizes so one wouldn't have get his glasses to see the sizes
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Looks Great...
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Possum: nothing worng with that at all. I would suggest finding a plastic box that your block will fit into so the dies are keep out of the dirt.

I made these a while back from some scraps of aluminum, and I had to cut down the blocks a little so they fit nicely in the plastic boxes. You could do the same with your wooden blocks if necessary.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I use a plastic shotgun box with the dividers holds the dies great but no where to put my punches I like it. I think I need to make a board just for the punches now and set the plastic shotgun box on top maybe even attached the two.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Possum: nothing worng with that at all. I would suggest finding a plastic box that your block will fit into so the dies are keep out of the dirt.

I made these a while back from some scraps of aluminum, and I had to cut down the blocks a little so they fit nicely in the plastic boxes. You could do the same with your wooden blocks if necessary.

Randy
    OVERACHIEVER!!!

Nice work there, seriously. I made some inserts for an appropriate cigar box out of rock maple 1x2s, one drilled for dies and one drilled for top punch stems, but I filled it up too quickly and have been to lazy to make the two more inserts I have room for. There's a certain size of snap-cap prescription pill bottle I'm using for overflow dies currently. Got a whole box full of de-labeled ones from an estate sale. Main thing is the H&I dies go in and out of the bottles easily when coated with lube and once inside don't goober up everything they touch or pick up lint.

Gear

I think that is really clever AND attractive! Good work. I suppose its kinda like traditional wood stock vs nylon/composite: yeah, the plastic storage tubs/bottles/boxes might keep 'em cleaner and super-organized, as well as protected from the elements, but YOUR wood display just looks awesome to me! AND it's YOURS, built with your two hands. Bravo!
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master

Looks good to me. I use a plastic 20gauge shell box to hold mine.

Boolit Master
    The plastic bottles diabetic test strips come in fit lyman sizers like they were made for them. Plus, the lid is attached and can't get mis-laid or lost. I just write the size on the lid with a sharpie.

Boolit Master
    I use the Plano plastic boxes and made one for each caliber I load for. In my 30 Cal. I have a .310", .3105", .311" sizing die along with a 30 Cal. bullet from each of the moulds stored along with the correct top punch for it.

Now when I go to size, say I am changing from 30 Cal. to 22 Cal. when I take the 30 Cal. sizing die out of the luber sizer and knowing it is marked 30 Cal on it, I look to see which bullet in the 30 Cal. Plano box is missing the top punch. This works real well because sometimes we take a top punch with a marking on it and use something like JB Weld to modify it.

I think having a actual bullet stored with the top punch will prevent from using the wrong top punch and at the same time if you get a new mould you will be able to compare the bullet nose profile with what you already have.

This is the one I use the most.
    http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/PLAN...-168p43698.htm

Boolit Master
    I wanted to add that if you have too many moulds in say 30 Cal for one box to hold, you are not storing more sizer dies just bullets and top punches so just get a second box to store them.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

My solution to die and mold storage

Very Nice - Do you have a picture with 4-6 cavity molds stored in it? - I like my Lee 6 cavity but storage is not easy.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Artful....it's deep enough to hold any mold. I don't have Lee molds but I'm sure they will fit easily.

Boolit Master
    Shooter,
    That is BEAUTIFUL. Looks like a Gerstner! What a classy way of mould storage, did you design & build it?

I love the idea. Damned nice!
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Shooter93, very nice storage box, where can I get one if you didn't happen to make it? I keep my sizing dies in a small, 9 slot, Plano 3500 tackle tray. I definately need a better way to store my molds.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I make quite a few custom cabinets and some furniture. Time to time I make something for us. Actually those were made out a bunch of left over lumber and veneers. I sized it pretty much by the lumber I had making sure it was sectioned off to fit molds.
    Last edited by shooter93; 03-30-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast