WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEE Re-run of Ranch Dog TLC 323-180 RF?

Boolit Master

LEE Re-run of Ranch Dog TLC 323-180 RF?

Is there any interest in putting together a GB for a LEE re-run of the "RANCH DOG" mold for the 32 Special: TLC 323-180 RF?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	71016

I contacted Michael (aka Ranch Dog) about this, and here is an excerpt from his reply:

"Not a problem with running a group buy on any of my designs. Lee owns the drawings I gave them to them. They have said that any group buy that comes in for 25 or more will go right in."

If we can get 25 interested parties, I think we can do this.

I would only want to do this if we can get them in 6-cavity molds (like the originals). I DO like the fact that the LEE Ranch Dog molds are 6-bangers.

I have thought this might also be possible to try out in an 8MM Mauser sometime, but at the moment I have some 32 caliber rifles that I'd want to try this in first.

Perhaps if this goes over well, there might be some other Ranch Dog designs that some of us missed the boat on that we could get started on in the future.... and perpetuate some excellent bullet designs.

Comments/interest?
    Last edited by NYBushBro; 05-19-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: include image

Perhaps, if they had standard lube grooves and not tumble-lube.

Boolit Buddy
    That bullet shoots very well in my guns.

Boolit Master
    Has NOE ever done a run of this mold with traditional grease grooves (like they did with the Ranch Dog 30-30 bullet)?

I think we would need to get the approval of Michael Reamy (aka Ranch Dog) before even pursuing this possibility...

Perhaps Al Nelson could answer this.

Boolit Master
    I would be interested and I would even commit to buy for the Original Lee Ranch Dog design , anything else maybe.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

I just bought a 32 spl. rifle and would like one. Either by Swede or Lee, at least .323" diameter and preferably with tumble lube grooves. Oh, would prefer plain base or a split of both.

-Nobade

Was a TLC323-170gn just to be accurate. YES, it does work well with 8mm X 57 cartridges too. Fortunate enough to have an original RD. I think this is worth trying for alot of shooters, as it is one of the lighter (read as lead saving) boolits.

Attachment 65441

Pete
    Last edited by phaessler; 03-26-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Tom(Accurate Molds) has that boolit in both TL & std lube designs now, I sent him the specs about a month ago & have the mold already, took about 2 weeks to get it, but shipping isn't really much time for me as I'm just up the road about 35 miles. Haven't had the chance to work up loads yet , but they come out real Pretty!!!

Boolit Buddy
    What is the mold number for the Accurate version?

Boolit Master
    Ranch Dog renamed this mold design to 323-180... I'm guessing the boolits dropped a bit heavier than 170 grains...?

I DO like the idea of a 6-cavity mold... so I'm still hoping that I can get 24 other people to sign up for this.

I wont argue size with you , but the last listing in RD's catalog was TLC-323-170-RF, just stating the designation, from Oct-09_2012. I think the better bet would be to opt for the Accurate version myself.

Pete

Boolit Master
    Depending on price I'd be interested for an 8mm mauser

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    I wont argue size with you , but the last listing in RD's catalog was TLC-323-170-RF, just stating the designation, from Oct-09_2012. I think the better bet would be to opt for the Accurate version myself.

Pete
    Check out the current Ranch Dog Outdoors website... that's where I found he re-named it.

Boolit Master
    Bump ...

Boolit Master
    OK, folks... I would REALLY like to see this one fly. Let's hear some feedback (particularly from folks who have used this mold in their 32 Specials!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I'm in for a 6 cavity.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Concerning the my TLC323-180-RF...

The original design was the TLC323-170-RF, I used the weight designation "170" based the standard alloy I use, Lyman #2. This design actually went through three refinements and gained a bit of weight but not enough using Lyman #2. With my transfer of the designs to Lee Precision and their use of a 9/1, wheel weights/tin, that bumped the weight closer to 180.

I gave the other fellows permission to copy my design but I think they are using the original drawings.

I will send the OP the correct bullet drawing link so he can update the image in the post at the top.
    Michael

Boolit Mold
    From Lee Precision Support

Got this in todays email .

Thanks for your inquiry. The Ranch Dog molds were custom made. Due to unprecedented order volume, we have suspended all custom work until we are able to meet the required volume of our standard products. At present, it appears to be fall of 2013. At that time we will evaluate demand for the Ranch Dog products and consider adding them to our product line-up.

Thank You,

Laine
    Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027
    phone: 262-673-3075
    fax: 262-673-9273

Ticket Details

Well guys "The more they hear from us the better , I'd like to have one of their 22 cal molds and like the tumble lube and 6 at a time !!!

Boolit Master
    mmranch - thanks for your input.

We have a couple of options here:

1) If every member of this forum contacted Lee Precision and requested SIX-CAVITY Ranch Dog mold designs, they might actually consider doing production runs of Michael's molds... maybe.
    I would actually prefer this option - less work for me, and I would still get this mold - plus a few others!

2) If we have a list of 25 members truly interested in this mold (TLC 323-180 RF) by September and Lee decides NOT to reproduce Michael's designs, at least we will be able to order this mold from them.

Remember, this is still a discussion thread... so let's discuss it.
    September is only 3 months away.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I would be in. If it is undersized, I would think it could be PP. If it is oversized, it could probably be used as is or PP in the 8.15.

For the price, it's well worth throwing the dice.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast