Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A good boolit for hunting the 30-06 at 2500 FPS?

I take it that your chamber throat is longer than what the OAL of the magazine affords?
    Well, that would depend on the boolit or bullet. Longer than a bullet load requires, yes but my cast and patched boolits are too long for the throat. Not really a contradiction as the boolits are being made to fit an unsized neck and not to have a bore-ride nose. I do have a rifle with a well worn throat and bore that does accept a magazine length boolit seated firmly in an unsized neck and engage the long leade. Now that's a gem! I have another with an oversize bore that does the same but it has a reverse taper from midway on. I will be range testing it before I consider chopping the barrel down to make a bush carbine. My rust enlarged 'pig gun' is the same but its rifling is very rough yet id does seem to shoot quite well within what could be considered a bush and rain gun's working range.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As mentioned the 2600 fps is easy.....the speed with accuracy isn't..........

There are some who claim to do both (Obvious from one post above) but most of us with a lot of experience haven't seen both consistent accuracy and velocity at anywhere near 2600 fps in a 10" twist '06. With some specific designed cast bullets and everything done right you might see 2300 - 2400 fps sometimes with accuracy of say 2 moa for 5 shot groups; sometimes less, many times more....... You can chase your tail if you want on that one as many of us have. The caveat "However, you need to learn how and your mileage won't be the same as someone else's. " will always be there when you don't succeed. You won't be shown how it is done but will get a lot of hocus pocus on how it's done but the hocus pocus always changes as you question and will remain a moving target.......finally in the end when you don't succeed you will be lumped in with the rest of us near do wells and the master will vanish into the mist across the rice paper leaving not a trace for you to follow..........

If you go that road then come back to the rest of us who will gladly show you what can really be done with cast bullets in the '06 with a 10" twist. We'll be glad to help.

Larry Gibson
    thats great thanks!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!