Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Why single action reels for Salmon?

Boolit Master

Why single action reels for Salmon?

I watch Canada salmon fishing shows on television and they all seem to use large single action reels. Why? Is it the law or are they just using sponsor's product? I don't believe that these reels are particularly cheap. Older style Penns would be cheaper, have good drags and could retrieve line faster. Has to be some reason why they are used.

I'm an old time salt water angler from San Diego...I know what you are talking about...a few years ago I went to the Queen Charlotte islands in far North B/C....I asked the same question..the answer was that the long parabolic rods and the single action "fly reel style" reels were simply what they have always been used to...and frankly the "knuckle busters" with the whippy rods are a reel hoot. Sure if a person is "meat fishing" it would be a chore but a 25# King on those rods is a fun sport. I'm sure you could catch albacore on a Penn 50 2 speed and do it quicker than with a smaller reel and lighter rod but fun?? Not near as much. They use them much the same as lots of guides in Florida only use spinning rods and reels...it's what they know and what they are comfortable with...That's what I learned from them and glad I did what they suggested..saved me carrying a bunch of rods and reels along and probably not ever using them...They use the same or similar rigs for some of the nice halibut (not the super jumbo models) and that's a real kick too...if you go do what you like but don't pass the chance to get a Tyee (over 25# King) on the wimpy rods and knuckle buster single speed reels.

Here's the tackle and some fish.

Boolit Master
    Thank you