Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a bunch of molds Saturday!

Boolit Master

Question I got a bunch of molds Saturday!

Hello guys,
    I bought a bunch of wads, some bullets, some primers and a large quantity of brass. Friend of a friends father in law kind of thing. I also got two 50 Caliber cans of what was labeled, blk powder stuff... Well the ''blk powder stuff'' was about 10 boxes of various sized lead balls, some maxi and some conical musket mini balls and in the bottom was some old Lyman boxes... A couple 310 tools and Hornet and 357Mag dies. As I opened the boxes, there was about a dozen Ideal, Lyman and one Green Mountain bullet molds!!

About five or so are various sized single cavity round ball molds, one of those is a Green Mountain. Then there is a New Haven, CT Winchester mold and handles (in one) for the 32-40Winchester, its a .321/165g. It had some bad pitting on the spur plate and on one outside of the mold, but the faces and cast itself are perfect. I'm thinking this may be a rare piece.

The two that excite me most, are a single alum, 50cal 370g Maxi mold and a .358 210 Ideal mold!(BOTH of which I was gonna order.)

Then there is a .311 148 Ideal rifle bullet mold and a .459 425 (45-70?) mold and a .452 270 mold. There is one other 45/70 mold, .459 525 I think. Then two mini ball molds, a 575 and a 557 I think.

Needless to say, I am pretty excited with this find! All the molds are tarnished and none where stored properly, but all are perfect between the half's and in the actual bullet molds, so all the rest is cosmetic.

Any ideas on cleaning these up? I was thinking of tossing them in the tumbler.... Ideas appreciated.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Perma-Banned

If they are just lightly rusted use some oil or bore solvent and a scotch brite pad. If they are worst then you have to decide on a rust remover. I would first soak everything in some kroil oil for a day and then take the molds apart and check everything.

Boolit Buddy
    East central Minnesota. I can see Wisconsin from my house!!!
    Good Score!
    I don't think I'd put mould blocks in the tumbler. You don't want to dent or nick any sharp corners. I have taken my new-used moulds and scrubed them with a brass bristled scrub brush and some Hoppes, then wipe 'em dry and cover them with oil until I want to use them. I go pretty easy on the cavities.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    cwlongshot

I do hope that you were just kidding about putting those molds in a tumbler !

That would be about the quickest way to turn them into " toast " that I could think of.

maybe a toothbrush and some lava soap with grit? i use tooth paste on my aluminum molds
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    cwlongshot

I do hope that you were just kidding about putting those molds in a tumbler !

That would be about the quickest way to turn them into " toast " that I could think of.
    Well, NOT all at once!! LOL...

Surface rust is all and tarnish, overall they are in good shape for the way they had been stored!

CW

Boolit Master
    In this forum there is a sticky "Hensley & Gibbs Mold Users Manual". Please read this before you attempt any 'restoration' of your newfound treasures. Once the metal is gone, you can't put it back. Unless you buy a replacement for the one that's destroyed.

Boolit Grand Master

Start out with denatured alcohol and an old tooth brush...If more cleaning is necessary go to the H & G mould users manual . Don't use any power tools or wire brushes...the inside surface of a mould is very easy to ruin. The materials they are made of are soft, even iron moulds. On the outside surfaces you can use 0000 steel wool and a lot of oil to clean rust...but the insides are another story. Be gentle.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    With moulds that are only very lightly rusted, I have had success by simply boiling them in distilled water and carding them with fine steel wool. This treatment preserves the blue color on the mould and leaves no oil to be washed off. The moulds do not need another breaking in, either.

I've done it with heavier pitting but it takes multiple boils and repeated carding. If it's too heavy it becomes more cost effective to use Evaporust, or Liquid Wrench with careful hand brushing with a copper or brass brush.

Boolit Buddy
    + 1 to what Bent Ramrod said

Boolit Master

I have had very good success on cleaning the outside of molds using steel wool, preferably the corser stuff. As has been said, cleaning the insides and cavities is very tricky work and must be done very, very carefully. Once you round off the edges of the cavities, be it ever so little, you have irrepairably damaged teh mold.

Boolit Master

Sorry for the absence. Usually play with lead in the fall and early spring only.

Anyway ALL molds cleaned up great. I unloaded the ball molds and couple of the ones I already had on eBay. Cast some 358/205's last week. Love this bullet!

Now I'm hunting for a mold for a 32/ 155g round flat nose almost a was cutter profile with a rounded shoulder.

I love the profile. I like to make lo vel loads for my SS 32/20. I have no idea where to get more or we here to get a mold.

CW

Boolit Master

Looks like a lyman 311440. Now where you could find such a mold, I don't know.

bhn22
    You can tumble mold blocks. One half at a time.

"I love the profile. I like to make lo vel loads for my SS 32/20. I have no idea where to get more or where to get a mold."

CW
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-150L-D.png
    Mr. Bill2

Boolit Master

Well,
    Its five years later...

Last week I picked up a couple molds form a very good friend.

One of them was a 311440!!!

I have a couple more like a 357446 I have also wanted.

I also have a box that he wants me to sell for him. NOT FOR SALE HERE and NOW. (but SOON)

SO, I need to research the numbers. ALL are brand LYMAN, new/OLD stock, still wrapped in the wax/cellophane wrappers and factory boxes. One is a real special 41 Long Colt heeled bullet mold!

I will list in in a new thread to get more info and values.

By this weekend I'll be turning out some 180 Ranch Dog 357's these 311's and some 357446 bullets!!

CW

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Well, NOT all at once!! LOL...

Surface rust is all and tarnish, overall they are in good shape for the way they had been stored!

CW
    That's some funny stuff right there...NOT ALL AT ONCE
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    That's some funny stuff right there...NOT ALL AT ONCE
    I know this is an old post, but some may use the information. There is a product called Evaporust that works extremely well.
    I found out about it because of a rusty gas tank on one of my tractors. It is available from Tractor supply (that's where I got mine) for about $25 for a gallon. It is water soluble, so just rinse with water after leaving in solution for a while. Bottle says a couple of hours, but doesn't seem to hurt even after a couple of days. No scrubbing, no, no mess. After taking out and rinsing off, you need to put some kind of rust preventive on it. It leaves a very nice surface without any damage. Of course, if there are any pits, they will still be there but there will be no rust. It is supposed to be environmentally safe, too. (Don't really know about that) I have put my hands in it to remove parts with no apparent effect.

Boolit Master

haha guys,
    it WAS a joke!

Yes, I saw the Fitzgerald TV hunting show over last weekend and they cleaned a cast iron Dutch oven to near new condition with evapo rust!!

I'll NEED some of that stuff!!

Back on topic, the molds where not really bad at all and cleaned up great! Yes, KROIL is a great one to soalk in as its a long time favorite!!

CW

Boolit Master

2nd the recommendation for Evaporust! Amazing product. No smell, reusable, works wonders. Ive used it on a bunch of tools and an old H&G mold. Fill a little tub with the stuff and submerge the rusty parts. A few hours later jus rinse with water. Then pour the Evaporust back into its bottle for reuse.

Glad that those molds cleaned up for you CW. Some fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast