Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38/357 and herco

Boolit Master

Larry, if you get a chance I'd sure like to have some pressure data on Herco in the .38spl under a 155 to 162 or 3gr swc at approx 5.7, 6 or 6.3gr. I wish I had a pressure set up but I probably couldn't get it right.......
    Last edited by ddixie884; 09-14-2020 at 11:00 PM. Reason: I can spell I just can't type
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

Can do
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    WOW !!!! now that one will open yer eyes !! Jack
    I'LL agree with THAT, and THAT POOR Model 27! I can't help thinking it was prolly a bit LOOSER, after working up THAT load! I've gone up to 9.0/Herco/158 gr. LSWC/RNFP in my Ruger Police Service Six, but backed it off 0.1 gr., because accuracy was much better (or my FLINCH was far less pronounced, I'm not sure which). I never got to chrono that load, but it had to be leaving the muzzle over 1300 f/s. I know that every LIVING thing I shot with it fell down & quit moving, VERY suddenly. It clanged metal plates loudly, too, even at 100 yards.

I try to treat Herco as a slightly slower-burning, slightly less versatile Alliant Unique. It'll burn dirty with lighter loads, but cleans up nicely as pressure rises. Like Unique, it responds well to max or near-max charges, bullets weighing over 150 gr., and heavier-than-usual crimps on case mouths.
    A life-long shooting buddy has used 6.0/Herco/158 gr. (various) in .38 Spl. brass (WELL over recommended), in his 6" S&W Model 19, since he bought it in 1979. The revolver has been to the gunsmith for some trigger work and one other modification, but nobody has remarked that it showed any signs of loosening nor excessive stress. It's the handgun & load he shoots most, by far, and can STILL give me a run for my money when I shoot against him (in competition) with my 1911A1.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I`m glad to see this thread.
    i was just gifted some Herco...dale

Boolit Master

I've been loading some 6gr x 158gr .38spl. They are strong but not brutal in my LCRX 2" and feel good in My 15-3 S&W. They are a little gooey with lubed bullets and I ordered a Redding PCD so I can put a little more firm crimp on them. I'm not sure there is quite enough pressure to get a good burn. I loaded 9gr 158swc in some .357 cases to try in a day or two. I bought 3 pounds of Herco from Grafs so I'm interested in all Herco info experiences and thoughts.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12