Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon super swage 600

Dillon super swage 600

Just ordered one. I have over 500+ LC .308 cases I need to process.
    This should speed things up quiet a bit. Anyone else use one? How do you like it ?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    How did the LC cases resize?

Dillon 600 - make sure the spud is adjusted to the right length for each different brand/size of shell. When you operate the press - when you swage - I don't make it a 'strength' contest. And I really like using my RCBS chamfer tool to take swipe at the last of the crimp.

Geoff in the wet of Oregon

Hey Geoff.
    They sized great! Used some of that 74 LC brass with168 smk and H4895 and got a nice 5 shot group that measured .320" on center.
    All my brass is the 74 LC I bought from you. I'll take your advice man.
    It should be here in a couple days.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Master
    OK, so here's the Dillon Super Swage:

You can see the case head support pin that fits inside the case while the primer crimp is swaged out.

Now, I start with a fresh 5.56 case. As you can see here the primer pocket has been uniformed which removed only a tiny bit of metal from the circumference of the pocket bottom. Quick and easy.

Then I adjust the Dillon Super Swage support pin for the maximum extension that will still allow the case to fit down onto the swager nub. The pin can be extended further but then the case won't even fit down into position. I operate the lever as far as it will swing. Remove the case and the primer pocket looks like this:

It may not be obvious in the above pic but it will be in the following ones. The bottom of the primer pocket is now deformed. That off-center round hump sticks out .011" further then it did before and gets removed during subsequent pocket uniforming. And it's a lot more work to cut that out too.

Here's the same primer pocket cleaned up again:

This is what I've been seeing in the Lake City cases as I've been uniforming their primer pockets:

Now, I cut the original case open and look at the case head from the inside. Here's your culprit. BUSTED!

Now keep in mind, I'm not saying that the Dillon Super Swage is a bad tool. It's an excellent tool. But there are consequences to operating it while adjusted improperly.

Take a look at the support pin. It's got a taper at the end of it and I'm thinking it would be better if it were just flat and full diameter there so as to distribute the load on the case head better.

And last but not least... anyone think cases with the above primer pocket deformity (removed via primer pocket uniforming tool) would be unsafe to load and fire?
    Last edited by Oreo; 03-15-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thier is a spring mod you can do to speed things up. Youtube it.
    inlinemanufacturing make a delrin insert to help align the cast.

Interesting.

Boolit Master
    I get better results if I deburr the inside of the flash hole first. Otherwise even cases with the same headstamp do not always fit the same due to some having nasty burrs.
    ph4570

Thanks. That's good to know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    i get better results if i deburr the inside of the flash hole first. Otherwise even cases with the same headstamp do not always fit the same due to some having nasty burrs.
    +1, qft.

I have used one since 1990 or so. Have not had any problem. Use it as instructed.

Boolit Buddy
    had one since 1988 and it has done thousands of 308 and now 223. still looks like new.

Boolit Master

I'm happy with mine and the mod on youtube works well. FB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHGOSrjbssw

Mine has done really well for 6 or 7 years now, haven't had to mod anything. I go a little slow though, and make sure the casing is evenly centered on the support pin before the handle pull.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

I sold mine on ebay several weeks ago made enought to buy 2 new ones.

Boolit Buddy

As I recall from the operating instructions , adjusting the support pin to max length is not the way to proceed. That adjustment is critical to the proper amount of crimp removal in the process. There should be not any deforming of the primer pocket. When using various case head stamps , it will be best to readjust the support pin each time. If the 600 is set up according to the instructions supplied by Dillon , I have had nothing but good result with the 600.. My 2¢, Russ.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Russ in WY View Post
    As I recall from the operating instructions , adjusting the support pin to max length is not the way to proceed. That adjustment is critical to the proper amount of crimp removal in the process. There should be not any deforming of the primer pocket. When using various case head stamps , it will be best to readjust the support pin each time. If the 600 is set up according to the instructions supplied by Dillon , I have had nothing but good result with the 600.. My 2¢, Russ.
    Yep. Me too.

You guys like to get me in trouble don't ya.
    I like this mod.

How To manual for Super Swage
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/...l_may_2007.pdf

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info on the damaged brass, I'll make sure to set mine up thinking of your post.

Allen

Banned

when using mine with brass thats sorted I take one case and slowly adjust it until a primer seats just right. If your indenting the inside of the case or belling the primer pocket your going way to far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ in WY View Post

Boolit Bub
    Great Info and Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast