Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elmer Keith's family today

Boolit Master

Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, Bob Milek, Jim Carmichael all those men could write in a manner to draw you in and help you appreciate your firearm hobby. Today's gun rags are just that, paid advertising. I'v collected and kept all the aforementioned writers articles and books and treasure them to re-read as my education continues now for 60 years.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by repeat View Post
    I know this is a long ago thread but I have to mention how I met Elmer Keith.
    In 1979 a new release of a book by Elmer Keith would hit the market and a gun show where I lived would have them.
    At the show I had a table with a few guns for sale and asked the person next to me to look after my table while I went to buy a book and when I got there a lady said Elmer Keith is here signing books but he is out right now so I bought the book Hell I was there and went to the hotdog stand and bought a hot dog and went to the condiment stand to fix my hot dog and a wiery older gentleman was there fixing his hot dog and we had a short conversation as I mentioned I just bought the book.I said he was a legend and he said he is not all he is cracked up to be and went back to my table.That man came by my table and picked up my book and signed it,Elmer Keith and winked at me.
    That book was stolen from my table by some low life and I can't find that book anywhere for a reasonable price.Still is a legend.
    Thats a cool story! Sorry to hear that your book was stolen.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Lorraine died in 1998 if I remember correctly.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-96 Hunter View Post
    Elmer's guns were all sold off. That's the $ they are fighting over. Same old story.
    Want to find out someones true character short of going into combat with them? Have someone die with money involved. I never forgave my aunt, mother and both sisters for what went on over my grandfather and grandmothers belongings.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Want to find out someones true character short of going into combat with them? Have someone die with money involved. I never forgave my aunt, mother and both sisters for what went on over my grandfather and grandmothers belongings.
    So in other words, combat. :-/

Boolit Buddy

Truer words were never spoken. Money turns families into bitter, hateful enemies for the rest of their lives and beyond.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Blkpwdrbuff View Post
    Truer words were never spoken. Money turns families into bitter, hateful enemies for the rest of their lives and beyond.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    Truer words...

My little bro tried to muscle me out of my parents wills. Said since I was single his kids deserved it more than me... my sisters took him aside and literally beat some sense into him but I will no longer talk to him or go to any gathering he is at... he was super mad dad left all his tools to me. He would have sold them off, I use those tools and have memories of using every one with Dad...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    So in other words, combat. :-/
    Not really except between them. I was so disgusted by the squabbling and backstabbing I washed my hands of it all and moved to AZ for college.

Never spoke to any of them again. They have all passed away and I did not go to any of their funerals.
    Last edited by jonp; 04-26-2023 at 05:37 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Sad stories about families fighting over estates. I'm lucky that I'm not wealthy and definitely not well known. I think we raised our sons to have more values and sense.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

True that on family greed ! But glad this thread got rebooted as some neat stories above I'd missed !
    Like many here I couldn't wait for the next article by Elmer or Skeeter.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 regarding inheritance. I have seen it poison many families, and degrade several otherwise good people. It has cropped up three times in my own family. Despite some regrets over keepsakes, I shrugged my shoulders each time and moved on. The memories are far more precious than the objects themselves. Last year I spent a long evening admiring a collection of family firearms going back at least to the 1930s that had been snagged by a nephew by marriage. I knew the history of each gun and took pleasure in passing down the stories. The circumstances gave him a valid moral claim based on good works and anyway why start trouble with people you should care about more than a pile of walnut and steel? At least three of the guns were legally mine, which I didn’t think worth creating ill will by mentioning. I got to handle my father’s hunting rifles, the first shotgun I ever hunted pheasant with, the first deer rifle I ever carried, the first .22 revolver I ever owned and the first rifle I ever refinished. That was enough. My own son was present and I did get the Devil in me and wink at him whenever my nephew looked a bit shame faced and started to fidget.

Boolit Grand Master

From personal experience the family members that did the least in helping/supporting the parents expect the most and they are that are generally the source of the conflict.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-02-2023 at 02:51 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    From personal experience the family members that did the least in helping/supporting the parents expect the most and they are that are generally the source of the conflict.
    Describes my little bro to a T... When mom and dad needed help they called me knowing I would be there ASAP, be it with cash, a helping hand, a drive somewhere when sick(took Dad to the hospital for emergency gallbladder surgery...). Little bro? I am busy, it is football night and we are partying... or he was to tired and had to work when it was a 2 AM call like the gallbladder call I got... I also spent way more time with mom and dad at the lake fishing, he always wanted to hang with friends instead... if dad was building something he usually called me, little bro didn't know which end of a screwdriver to handle...

Came time for the estate and little bro was first in line demanding more for his 3 kids...

My oldest sister told him in front of the probate judge to shut up and sit down. It is an even 5 way split but if you argue we cut you out and a 4 way... he lost out on a life insurance payout because of that! My oldest sister who was in charge of the estate told him enough was enough, he missed out on $10k... again he wanted my share because he had kids and I didn't...

My folks were pretty well off later in life; my Dad grew up very poor but was the hardest worker I have ever known, a huge saver/investor, mostly he bought properties for rentals or pastures because of their farm and always wanting more cows. I was the one staying close to home and looking out for them; but when Dad passed and Mom 3yrs later, and as their Executor, I decided my Brothers and I would share everything evenly. It helped being a close knit Christian family IMO -

Well I'll tell you what folks when it comes to family ..go into life expecting to be let down ..when it happens you already knew it was coming and when it doesn't just enjoy the small miracle ..don't hate because someone does not have your "class" and sense of fair play and honesty but rather pity them ..remembering they are not worth hating ..not worth lowering yourself to their level ..Feel strength in YOUR ability to forgive and forget
    Believe me I have had my own family disappointments but taking the high ground will always always leave you in a position of moral and mental strength that dollars alone will not and cannot fulfill

Bear

My brother lived near our parents, I lived about 500 miles away. When our parents needed something, it was him that they called. When they passed away, he handled their estate since he was in the area. He asked me for a Power of Attorney to simplify matters and I did not hesitate to sign it. He also called one day and suggested a 60-40 split since he had been there for them and he was handling the estate. I was just about to call him and suggest one third, two thirds.
    I'm sure when I'm gone, my two daughters will be fighting tooth and nail.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Truer words were never uttered. When my Grandmother died, my Aunt Muriel and her sister were screaming at one another, fighting over my Grandmother's china cabinet. I know that neither had done anything for my grandmother--too busy with their families--so my mom and dad and my cousin took turns taking her to the grocery store. My father was one of the executors, and just shook his head. I was only 16 at the time, but was appalled. I believe my Aunt Lela bought the china cabinet from the estate, which was my father's and her way of putting those two harridans in their place.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I just established a living trust.
    That will solve a lot of problems.
    Anyone that contests it gets $1.

Quote Originally Posted by Blkpwdrbuff View Post
    Blkpwdrbuff
    Whenever I see a business that advertises, "We treat you like family," I want to tell them "Please just treat me as well as you would any stranger."

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Folks, could we get back to Keith?
    He was an icon in the gun field, when I was young I tried to read every article he wrote. Today I am still a fan of the .44 Special!
    Thank you Elmer!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast