RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading in the good old days???

Boolit Grand Master

Reloading in the good old days???

I looked around the web, but couldn't find much.
    I'm assuming home reloading was done as soon as the metallic cartridge came out.
    I'm wondering what kind of tools the first reloaders used???
    Antone have a link to pictures????
    How it was done???
    Maybe a living history buff who does it, with period tools???
    I'm sure they didn't have any Rock Chuckers way back then.

Boolit Grand Master

Some Frankford Arsenal Reloading Kits here.

https://trapdoorcollector.com/reloadingkits.html
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-11-2023 at 09:27 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Next time "Valdez is Coming" shows up on TV tune in, with Burt Lancaster. He's kinda doing the set up from that time. When he said the words "My own load", reloading in the field. I was hooked. I had to do that also. 1971. Also, in the original "Unforgiven" movie with Burt and my hero Audie Murphy He and Doug McClure are casting bullets during an Indian fight.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    belding and mull made reloading tools going way back in the good ole days. and ideal got into it in 1884.
    https://www.reloadingtool.com/ideal-...eloading-tool- im always on the lookout for these old gems

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-09-2023 at 06:37 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I would have to put one of the boxed sets on display in my house!
    IF I had one!!!!!
    I would have to load a few rounds with it also!!!

Neat stuff!

Hop to the 3min mark
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quigly (Down Under) had to stop by the local General Store to get supplies 'to make his reloads' in the movie.

Just a guess, but I figure it was historically correct for the time period.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

What I find even more interesting are some of the historical accounts of the methods the Indians used. Reloading primers using match heads was common.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

The first Ideal catalogs are very interesting and informative.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I think it was a Brian Keith movie where he was teaching somebody how to shoot. Every time the guy shot, he would dump his brass on the ground and Brian Keith's character would tell him to pick it up so it could be reloaded. I can't remember if they actually showed the reloading.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Hugh O'Brien sitting at a table out in the street reloading pistol cartridges...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I think it was a Brian Keith movie where he was teaching somebody how to shoot. Every time the guy shot, he would dump his brass on the ground and Brian Keith's character would tell him to pick it up so it could be reloaded. I can't remember if they actually showed the reloading.
    Steve McQueen was in that. He also had/used a combo gun of shot and rifle. Nevada Smith. Out in the West in the 1890's, Max Sand begins a quest to hunt down a trio of gunslingers who murdered his parents, as he's seeking vengeance.

In "Lives of a Bengal Lancer" the Afghans are casting boolits and scooping black powder into cartridge cases. In "The Unforgiven" Burt Lancaster and his characters family melt lead soldiers into boolits while being attacked by the Comanche.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I was watching an early Zane Grey last night with Noah Berry Sr. Time was about 1875-80. He was casting bullets with a '94 model Winchester mold. Also seemed to be weighing charges with something.

I caution you most strongly - DO NOT get an active interest in this stuff. There are boat loads of it out there, mostly affordable. None of it will do a better job than what is on your bench now. You can easily wind up with a 100 of more presses and stuff.
    All your shooting buddies who should be impressed will say stuff like " scrap run today" or " going to the dump" or "why don't you scrap this junk and get a decent car?"
    Ask me how I know this...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Hop to the 3min mark [...]
    I really enjoyed that video immensely, thanks for posting it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any idea when the first home press came out???
    I have seen those "nut cracker" all in one reloaders.
    Would the Lee "tap, tap" be something that would have been used way back then???

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Would the Lee "tap, tap" be something that would have been used way back then???
    That would be the Frankford Arsenal Reloading Kits.50-70 Reloading Set I listed in post #2.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-10-2023 at 07:29 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

You need to remember in that time travel was mostly horseback or horse drawn wagon. So weight and size limited what they could carry. Buffalo and market hunters were more concerned with the hides and meat and hauling what paid.

Boolit Grand Master

The 45 3 1/4" that we call the 45-120 did not exist during this time period. The 45 2 7/8" today known as the 45-110 did. The claim is it could be loaded with 120 grains of BP and this is what he used.
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...%20the%20field.

Reasoning logically that guns are of primary importance to a professional hunter, Frank bought the best rifles obtainable. His precious scope sight he had fitted to a .45-120-550 Sharps, weighing 16 pounds and sighted in to hit the bullseye at 200 yards. For alternate rifles - an absolute necessity in those days of black powder ammunition and excessive fouling of barrels - he selected a .40-70 and a .40-90 Sharps. Wisely, he spent $225 for a complete reloading outfit. Thousands of hides were lost when hunt*ers ran out of cartridges in the field. Frank didn't intend to lose a single skin playing the fool that way.

More details here https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2028

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast