RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Douglas barrels quality?

Douglas barrels quality?

I dont hear much from them any more. Everybodies into this small benhrest stuff here bouts. Ordered one in fifty for cast. Now even though its their standard grade I would imagine it still be good, or do I dream? Whats the current word on Douglas?

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    No complaints from me on Douglas quality. I've used them for years and wouldn't hesitate to buy another..............er, heck, I AM ordering another one. Never mind. (:>)

Phil

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Good stuff, I have a couple rifles with thier barrels. They shoot better than I do.

Boolit Buddy
    Have Savage in .308, VZ.24 in 9,3x62, and a Santa Barbara Mauser in .458 AR with their barrels ... excellent accuracy. Will buy others in the future.

They're still making barrels for military snipers ... and the only complaints are from the bad guys ;>)

Boolit Master
    I have had more than a few, and I have always been very happy with them. They have shot as good as any Hart or Shilen that I have had. I wouldn't hesitate 1 second to buy another Douglas.

Jon

Douglas still makes good barrels.....there air-gauged are very good.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master
    What danski26 says

Douglas supreme barrels are very good. My 22-250 shoots one hole groups with one. My local smith put it on for me. He routinely uses Douglas barrels on the service rifles and match rifles he puts together. He is a High Master and has shot on the All Guard team for years...so I relly feel he knows what a good barrel is.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master at heavens range
    I got 4 of them for my 35 Rem. cast bullet rifle, 3 for my 32-40s, great lead bullet barrels.

I have 5 now, and my 25.06 is on its second. NO complaints at all.

No personal experience but quite a few of my fellow High power shooting buddies have bought barrel and quickly found out that they were true "copper Mines" in the 223 cal tubes anyways fouled heavy every 88 rd match badly so they ended up pulling them and going with Wilson barrels. Maybe just a bad batch? or got their final polish on a friday afternoon????
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    About 4 years ago I had a bpcr built for myself by a smith in Lakeland, FL. It was on an original Rem RB smokeless action, can't remember the number, 1 or 2. I requested a Douglas premium barrel--45-70. I think it was the no. 5 contour. They don't air-gauge above 30 cal. I gave the smith a Lee Shaver midrange sight, a Lyman 17A, and he went to town. I wanted a 28" barrel. I won my club's championship match last December with the 'old' action against 'new' Pedersoli sharps and a Shilo with set triggers and a browning falling block (1885?). I'm happy.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Galena Guru

I had two that were lost in the house fire , fine barrels , jus not the current fad ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Every year on my birthday, Midway gives me a discount. Last year I bought a 35 cal douglas barrel. I put it on a Springfield action and had it chanbered for 35 Whelen. A tack driver for sure!!...Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mstarling View Post
    They're still making barrels for military snipers ... and the only complaints are from the bad guys ;>)
    No, they're not complaining either. Not anymore.
    Born OK the first time.

The only POSSIBLE knock on Douglas barrels is that they're button-rifled, and it is POSSIBLE for the rifling twist to vary a bit if the steel isn't perfectly uniform. The cut-rifling barrel-makers use this as a selling point. I doubt anybody but the top 20 benchresters in the country could tell the difference. I've bought Douglas and would buy again anytime. Maybe the reason you don't hear all that much is that they are busy enough, and don't need to advertise.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Some barrels shoot, some don't. It is completely independent of "brand". The one and only rule: get the best grade offered by the maker. The 416 will shoot better right off the bat. The typical 4140 will last longer. Other compositions are in between accuracy and longevity wise. And, this is only a general truism, and is not a fact when talking about any specific barrel. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Mold
    I just finished putting a 257 Ackley together with a Douglas XXX barrel. Haven't had it to the bench yet still waiting on the scope to get here.... I have "no worries" on how it will shoot but I'll let everyone know ... 28" heavy barrel, on a mauser 98 action. boyd's trigger and Boyd's tumbhole stock......... Just waiting for scope and weather to shoot it... MM

Boolit Man

Douglas bbls.

I've ngot six of their muzzleloading bbls. Two 22RF., and two on single shot cast bullet guns. Like them all. JerryW

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Maybe it is because we are getting better at re barrelling, but all the Douglas barrels shoot sub moa.

Shilen Chrome Moly barrels are not nearly as good.

But Shilen Stainless are hand lapped and shoot .2 moa.

Boolit Master

I have a 6.5x54 and two .308 Garand barrels from them. Absolutely first class all the way.

CDD