Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glenfeild/Marlin Model 60 Barrel removal

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    So, I recently acquired a Mod. 60, and was perusing these threads on the '60, when I came across this, and was wondering about getting an update. My new to me '60 needs some help and TLC!
    I just came across this and wanted to give a tip I use when removing/installing a barrel on a 60. To remove I have 2x2 about 2 foot long. On one end near the end I drill a hole barely larger than the diameter of the fattest part of the barrel. After removing the barrel pin I slide the 2x2 over the end of the barrel then grab the muzzle end of the barrel and slide the 2x2 down until it's against the receiver. While holding the barrel near the muzzle end with the receiver on the bottom and the 2x2 on top of it I set the opposite end of the 2x2 on my shop table. Put a towel or something on the floor to catch the receiver then hit the 2x2 near the barrel with a hammer a couple times and the receiver pops right off. To install I made a jig to keep everything straight while driving the barrel back on. I saw an example on rimfirecentral.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jig.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	237489

Use a wittled down popsicle stick in the rear dovetail sight to help keep the barrel straight. Use a plastic/rubber mallet to hit the muzzle end and drive the barrel in until it's flush with the receiver. This has worked for me multiple times.

Boolit Master
    Not that there are not knowledgeable folks here if you have not been to Rimfirecentral its worth a lap around the site. Just like here for cast boolits the experts are found there for anything rimfire.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up an old 60, and the barrel is slightly lose in the receiver. Once I remove the barrel, what, if anything besides a new barrel, can be done to make the barrel fit into the receiver properly? I do not know if it is the barrel or the receiver that is worn as I have not taken it apart yet. I assume it is the barrel.
    TIA

When you reassemble, get a cheap drinking straw & split down the middle, bout 2" long. Wrap around recoil spring and sliver of tape to hold in place. Insert spring & straw into back of bolt, install bolt into receiver. Cut the tape and remove straw. Kinked spring is a no-no and they don't straighten worth a darn.
    Receiver is Al and barrel is steel, probably the receiver.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    The retaining pin may be tapered, so seating it a bit more may help, otherwise the only options are a bit of epoxy and as you note a new barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12