Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenfeild/Marlin Model 60 Barrel removal

Boolit Buddy

Glenfeild/Marlin Model 60 Barrel removal

Anyone with Knowledge to share with me on How To Remove this Barrel in my garage so I can parkerize it ?
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    it is held in by a pin. Look around the joint between the barrel and action and you will see a pin, knock the pin out and you will be able to pull barrel out. it is a slip fit, not threaded.

Boolit Buddy

trainfever Your the MAN---Thank You
    The DOGG!!!
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    The cross pin likely has splines on one end to grab into the aluminum recv'r. Look closely at both sides of the pin and hole and you can see tiny cuts to the outside circumference on one side where it was driven in. Thats the side the pin should come back out.

With the pin out and the bbl securecly in a vise,,tap the frame rearward off of the bbl. Straight to the rear,,don't be tempted to wiggle the thing back and forth to loosen it. It was assembled on to the bbl by pushing it straight on. There are raised splines on the bbl shank,,a knurling of sorts, that help grab the bbl and hold it & the frame firming together.

Use a rawhide or nylon mallet,,or a piece of wood w/a regular hammer to tap the frame straight to the rear and off.

Use the spline cut inprints in the frame to realign when reassembling and it will go right back together with the sights back up on top as before.

The frames are a bit brittle if handled too roughly and can crack. Use the lug portion of the frame on the bottom front to apply most of the effort to get it moving and then you can get at the edge around the bbl shoulder if needed.

Some will come right off easily,,some too easily!,,others will give you a bit of a hard time.
    But they are all do-able on the bench w/o special tools.

Boolit Buddy

OK Fellas GREAT Input got the barrel off got the mag tube guide out of the dovetail Now I need to get the rear sight out --Looks as if it,s dovetailed in seems awfull hard hitting with NO movement though, sprayed some real light oil in there and thinking of using a heat gun on the barrel to help What ya Think guys ?
    I,m gonna leave the front sight in as it,s soldered No Biggy I got a plan to make it look good when I,m done
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    use a brass punch on the site and then hit the punch with a hammer. using a punch directs all force to the item being hit. try hitting from both sides, sometimes the site has a taper and can or should only be installed and removed from one side.

Boolit Buddy

Gottchya a little heat/brass drift and out the right side she went You guys are the best---Now I,m thinking on changing the sights to something adjustable anyone know of a sight that fits the bill for my project?
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

in Remebrance
    Front site is not soldered, it has a set-screw. The few times I've had to remove a barrel I strip the sights off and use a slide hammer I made from a pipe nipple. Honed the inside so it would be smooth, stood it in a small can and poured some lead around it for the weight. Originally made it for installation of Win. pump magazine tubes. By the way, when you reassemble, protect the muzzle and tap from that end, don't hit on the receiver. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Buddy

Goatwhiskers this sight is most definitly soldered in, no screw visable I,m thinkin someone put this sight in here a long time ago
    Looks like it,s dovetailed and soldered I,ll get a Pic of it and put it up so ya can see what I,m seeing I hope there,s a screw hole in the dovetail I,ll get a pic
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy

Heres the Pics Looks soldered yo me

OK they aint the bestClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0946.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	63979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0947.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	63980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0949.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	63981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0951.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	63982 but
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy

What are the odds of a screw hole under this sight ?
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

in Remebrance
    I was thinking about the ones that have a band front sight. Maybe yours has a little JB Weld around it, a heat gun would make it turn loose. Then again some yo-yo might have soldered it to tighten it up, a little more heat is required. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Buddy
    Might have been loose and have been re-installed with anything from solder to loc-tite to super-glue.
    Could just be incredibly tight fit.

Hold the bbl in the vise so it's at a bit of a downward angle towards the breech) and clamped right up to the sight itself.
    That'll elliminate bbl vibration when you hammer on the sight trying to remove it. Plus the round bbl has a tendency to roll out of the vise jaws if you hold it horizontal while removing a dovetail sight like this one..

Try just the punch and hammer first and see if it's just a very tight fit w/perhaps some rust or superglue type fixant in there.

Solder and the better grades of loctite will need 400f to break bond before going to the vise and hammer.

I'd bet it'd let go on w/o using any heat with the right set up in the vise.

Boolit Buddy

I,ll give it the heatless try first then the heatgun and then a propane torch with low heat if needed I,ll keep you MEN Informed as to the progress of the build
    Still gonna try finding some cool front and rear replacement sights to fit theses dovetails
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy

I put the propane heat to the sight and it wont even start to melt I think whoever put it in wire welded it in---Damn it
    Any ideas Guys ?
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    before getting a new site, why not try reshaping the existing one? make it narrower and more streamlined to fit the barrel

Boolit Buddy

I guess a little filing/grinding would be in order I,ll give that a shot, Again You the Man
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    Make sure you take a little at a time off each side, that way it will be easier for you to keep each side symetrical and not have to try and match one side to the other. Be sure you post some pics so we can see how you are advancing, good luck.

Boolit Buddy

I will do that
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

So, I recently acquired a Mod. 60, and was perusing these threads on the '60, when I came across this, and was wondering about getting an update. My new to me '60 needs some help and TLC!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast