Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol powder

Boolit Master
    Powder valley, I got last months 4 lbs of BE, 4 lbs of WST, 2 lbs of WSf, 1 lb of Universal and 5 lbs of Rel 15. Plus 10K of small rifle primers. Nice also that they did not jack their prices.

Boolit Master

Found some in Anchorage AK this week however can't buy any of it as TSA won't let me fly with it

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    I'm with LoveLife on this one. In answer to the OP, yes, in my reloading room. Got 2 lbs. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    I picked up a pound of 2400 a couple weeks ago at a large gunshop about 100 miles from me. They had plenty, but limited buyers to one pound a week.
    Not worth it to drive 200 miles to purchase one pound of powder, so will wait until my lgs has it in stock. I am not in dire need, although my bucket o bullseye is getting on the low side.

Was at Cabelas in Hamburg, Pa. the other day and they had almost nothing.

I am not cutting back on my shooting yet, but might have to consider it if this goes for a year or more.
    Cabelas is a daily thing though. They restock nightly and sell out of stuff daily then restock the same stuff that night. I've seen their shelves in the morning and they're nearly as well stocked as before everyone lost their mind and started hoarding. I went there the other morning and bought everything I needed to load 52gr match .223 ammo for my AR except the die set which I had in the mail from FS Reloading already. People just need to calm down already and go back to just buying what they need and not what they need for the next 30 years. We're bringing this so called shortage on ourselves. Im guilty too, but I'm done now. I bought two guns manufactured during this rush and I'm afraid to buy any more. One of them was rushed through the factory so fast they didn't even wash all the bluing salts out of the slide and it was rusty inside and its brand new. I haven't seen leftover bluing salts left in a gun since I cleaned the cosmoline off the last new Chinese SKS I bought that was ironically produced in 1994. The other gun came to me with a deep gouge inside the buffer tube and NO TRIGGER. I wont mention makers here but ill wait to buy any more new guns till this is done with.

Boolit Master

This latest craze seems to be forcing us out of our normal loads and into trying what is available to meet our needs. I have the same competition load now that I started shooting 20+ years ago. But this situation has me thinking I should try out some other powder combinations. Have any of you competitive shooter felt this urge?

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Sometimes it's worth it to check out ever gun store in your area for the unpopular or unfamiliar powders. There's an ffl near me that has had a shelf of Vihtavuori for months now.

Apparently it's like metric powder of something, so no one knows how to use it.

Boolit Grand Master

Probably everyone got used to Vihtavuori being vastly overpriced so don't look at it anymore but with the current prices it is not more expensive at this point.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNurse1 View Post
    This latest craze seems to be forcing us out of our normal loads and into trying what is available to meet our needs. I have the same competition load now that I started shooting 20+ years ago. But this situation has me thinking I should try out some other powder combinations. Have any of you competitive shooter felt this urge?
    Red dot is a close substitute for Bullseye when used in the 700-800fps range.
    You will need to tweek it a tenth or two. It is nearly as accurate in my tools and in my hand as BE.
    I have not tried Promo. Powder as I have heard that the density varies from lot to lot.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Bub

Pistol powders are not a problem in my area, pistol primers are another story.
    Those who demand tolerance from others are usually the least tolerant of all.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C. View Post
    Red dot is a close substitute for Bullseye when used in the 700-800fps range.
    You will need to tweek it a tenth or two. It is nearly as accurate in my tools and in my hand as BE.
    I have not tried Promo. Powder as I have heard that the density varies from lot to lot.
    I wrote to Alliant and got an email back from them that Promo subs on an equal weight basis with Red Dot with no problem. I started to use it and like it a great deal.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    My garage has a better supply than any of the gun shops in this area (and that's not saying much, unfortunately)..
    Sad but true. None of the Gun Shops here abouts has much of anything. I bought a pound of Titewad last week and am experimenting with it for use in my 38 target loads. I am reasonably well off with rifle powders, and have a good supply of Unique, but WW-231 and 2400 are getting very low. I did find an un-opened pound of Bullseye I did not know I had, so I am not as bad off as some folks. It's hard for me to stock up much. The local fire code only allows for 8 pounds of powder to be kept in a dwelling, so I can only have 8 pounds in my house and 8 in my shed. (I could have more in the shed if I could position it 50 feet from my home--unfortunately, the lot is small and the neighbors are near.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Bought 8 lbs. of 2400 at The Indiana Gun Club last Sat.
    They usually have a good stock..Bill.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have not seen SP primers for sale anywhere here for at least 3 months. Powders and other primers can be had if you shop around.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    Found some in Anchorage AK this week however can't buy any of it as TSA won't let me fly with it
    CD
    I am surprised since I have seen little if any in Anchorage or nearby. Which store and how good a selection?

Boolit Master

Sportsman's Warehouse on Old Steward Hwy. Don't remember which ones exactly because I wasn't buying, just remembered they had quite a bit however.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    My garage has a better supply than any of the gun shops in this area (and that's not saying much, unfortunately)..
    Ditto
    Winners go home, survivors go to the hospital and losers go to the morgue.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Trail Boss sure seems to be in plentiful supply, at least here. I picked up a can to test out and give my supplies of pistol powders some extra breathing room.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    Sportsman's Warehouse on Old Steward Hwy. Don't remember which ones exactly because I wasn't buying, just remembered they had quite a bit however.
    CD
    I'll have to check next time I am in Anchorage. Thank you. Locally there are only a few oddball powders and no primers except shotgun. Bullets only in oddball calibers for the most part. 22LR is totally unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Sometimes it's worth it to check out ever gun store in your area for the unpopular or unfamiliar powders. There's an ffl near me that has had a shelf of Vihtavuori for months now.

Apparently it's like metric powder of something, so no one knows how to use it.
    Vihtavuori is great powder, but has been quite a bit more expensive than other powders. If a guy needs some powder, VV is not a powder to just discount lightly. It pays to know the burn rate of their powders and jump on the chance to buy some if it will suit your needs.

VV3n37 is great in a variety of pistol loads, as is N340. N350/3n38 for med heavy loads and N110 for magnum loads. Speer has been listing N110 as the powder for 357 mag. N105 splits the differencce betwene 3n38 and N110; a great sub for Blue Dot, IMO.

Check the more recent loading manuals and you'll see both rifle and pistol loads with the excellent VV powders. All I have right now is 3n37, but that's only because the VV line has been so expensive in the last several years so I bought other powders to fit my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonCaster View Post
    Ditto
    Hey, OC. If you're ever looking for something let me know. We could probably swap items to help each other out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12