WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Plinking Ammo?

In Remembrance
    I always thought it was the loads (any) that you used to plink with.
    I always considered shooting other than hunting was plinking, so rounds that you are not worried about the performance on game in my mind would be plinking loads.

Boolit Master
    To me a plinking ammo is the cheaper 22 bulk ammo, and in center fire lite target loads that are not refined for best accuracy. The bullets are not the best having small imperfections and the powder charge is just thrown, loaded with the cheapest primers I can buy.

Boolit Master
    What I DON"T do when loading plinking ammo:
    Don't tumble cases
    Don't trim cases to length
    May not clean primer pockets.
    Don't sort head stamps
    Don't weigh every charge
    Don't load anywhere near max.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Whatever box I grab to use.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master

The ultimate (at least in MY mind) plinking day:

Plinking, Tanker Style

dale in Louisiana.

Boolit Grand Master

I forgot to add that plinkers include reject bullets. These might be ones that have improper hollowpoint fill out. Or if they're a style that I use for hunting. Their weight might be out of range. I'm not as picky with the bullet quality when it comes to plinkers.

Boolit Master
    For me, plinking rounds are culls that are safe enough but don't want or need to pull down. If I load up 10 rounds to test, shoot 5 stinkers on target, the next 5 are "plinkers".
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Banned
    Right now it is about 30000 rounds of Russian Jr 22 LR that I ended up with that was so poor that I would not even considered shooting this **** until the Latest Greatest Crazy. Step out my back door and shooting 50 rounds a day at my swinging targets, nuts on the ground or other targets of oportunity. That is poor plinking ammo

To me it's ammo put together to shoot some pine cones and save some money at the same time. I don't generally load lighter weight bullets at lower velocity vs hunting or self defense rounds. Rather it's just lead bullets, cheap powder, used cases vs jacketed bullets, preferred powder, and new cases.

plinking is slang for going shooting. nothing more. its the sound a red rider BB gun made when you hit a tin can. (I SAID A TIN CAN) GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    To me, It's inexpensive, no stress ammo fired for fun.

I don't worry about much of anything loading plinkers, no weighing boolits, brass, or anything except the initial setup on the powder measure.

It doesn't HAVE to be anything, just fun.
    NRA life member

LB

Interesting that so many variations come to mind with the term. I've always thought plinking ammo was light recoiling, accurate ammunition for casual target shooting that can also serve as small game loads out to 50y. Like "mouse fart" or "bunny fart" loads. .357 Mag 158gr at 900fps, .44 Mag 250gr at 800fps, .45 ACP 230gr at 800fps, etc. Something you can handle shooting one handed.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master

I think you nailed it Gandy Dancer. Everyone else seems focused on plinking AMMO when it is really PLINKING ammo that results in all the fun. Do they still make tin cans???

Quote Originally Posted by gandydancer View Post
    plinking is slang for going shooting. nothing more. its the sound a red rider BB gun made when you hit a tin can. (I SAID A TIN CAN) GD

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

If one needs to ask what "plinking ammo" is then its obvious they have never entered a precision shooting match, or if they did they did not score anywhere near the top.

There is not only a difference but a HUGE difference.

Surely our Military Snipers would not enter the field using "plinking ammo".
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Depends on the person. My 10 year old loves shooting my 8 3/8 Smith 29. With a 240 gr. sitting on a soft charge, say 6.5 grains of Red Dot. Mine sit on top of 9.5 gr. of Universal. That load to him is too heavy for a "plinking" load. He can't shoot many of those. While for me, it IS a plinking load. You can successfully hunt with it, but my hunting loads will sit on top of H-110. Too stout for me to shoot all day.

Could also claim that "extras" that get generated during load development, or any other round that I am not "quite" happy with, also get tossed in a box for plinking ammo. Basically anything that is less than absolutely perfect, and wasn't worth the time to pull down.

Boolit Buddy
    for me it's the "cheap stuff" not match grade but accurate enough to play with.
    For centerfire, it's typically FMJ ammo, or cast boolets that may not be perfect (zinc bullets?)
    NOt the stuff you would typically use for hunting or for one reason or another.
    The $5 per 20 steel cased FMJ 223

Boolit Master

For me, any ammo that is meant for any kind of target practice.

Boolit Master
    My definition is light recoil and cheap enough to shoot in quantity. Until the recent craziness, cheap 22 Blazers was my go-to plinker. Now my 9mm Luger carbine with 125 gr rnfp boolits is cheaper than 22's especially now that I can get small pistol primers less than $40/1000 again.

Boolit Buddy
    Anything that is not loaded for s.d.
    Or for hunting is plinking ammo. To me
    terry

Take 22lr plinking ammo as an example they refer to the bulk packed 22lr as plinking ammo. All it truly means is the production standards are not as tight as they are in the production of special use ammo such as the CCI Stingers. If I had plinking ammo loaded in my gun and was faced with a threat would trust that ammo YES.