WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R E Terni 6.5 cal (1940)

Boolit Buddy

R E Terni 6.5 cal (1940)

I recently acquired a R E Terni 1940 XVIII in 6.5 cal. Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle?

Boolit Master
    That would be a 6.5x52mm Mannlicher Carcano rifle used by the Italians in WWII. It is actually .268", so 6.5mm bullets usually do not shoot well. Split bridge makes it tough to mount a scope. Is it sporterized or is it still original? They can shoot pretty well, are not real popular, and ammo, brass, bullets, etc. are available. I do not know how the Privi ammo shoots since I have only rolled my own. You will need enbloc clips to be able to shoot it, and they can be found several places including Numrich.

Boolit Buddy

Graf and Sons had Carcano ammunition several weeks ago though there was quite a delay in shipping it, it was in stock when I ordered. I recently acquired a carbine and got in a three way trade here and got some clips - probably more than I'll ever need. Sell you two for $10 and I'll pay shipping. The rifle version of the Carcano is the rifle Oswalt (sp?) used to shoot JFK.

Boolit Buddy

thanks for the info, i will be looking for dies and molds now that i know what i have. also thaks john i sent you a pm

Boolit Buddy

This one is all original with the exception of the stock forend seems to have a couple of inches cut off. I can't be sure because I really don't know what they look like.it looks to be in great shape though. The finish is ok, nothing great but not bad either. Can't wait to try it out

Boolit Master

The 6.5x52 cartridge is a good cartridge but it was designed in a time when rifles limited in strength of the action. Therefore it is a medium pressure round and should not be loaded in the Italian rifles up to levels of the 6.5x55 and similiar rounds. Hornady makes a 160 grain bullet that is .268" and that is the correct bullet for your rifle. The 6.5 Italian rifles got a bad rap in the press and with shooters because they were being loaded with .264" bullet and thus were a little on the small side. The Lee Reloading manual has some nice loads for this bullet and cartridge. Fed the right ammo and it is a good shooting rifle, as Lee Harvey Oswald proved. james

The 6.5 is a real nice little caliber in my opinion. The limited experience that I have with it was using a curse missile mold that was cut down to give a shorter boolit. That worked pretty well & the existing lube groove that was left still worked as a gas check shank. I just milled off a few bands from the top of the blocks, then reinstalled all the original hardware. Somewhere on this board, there is a thread that describes in all in detail. I was copying an idea that Geargnasher had come up with.

Some of the Carcanos had gain twist rifling. Some of the shortened ones were made from gain twist barrels. Those examples lost the fastest part of the twist & did not do well stabilizing the standard ammo in that caliber. The standard bullets were pretty long & skinny with a blunt round nose.

If you find any spare clips for that thing, grab them while the grabbing is good. I haven't seen any at gun shows in several years now. Also, try to remember not to step on the empty clip when it drops out the bottom of the gun after you load the last round in the chamber.

If I were to find one of those with a good bore at a reasonable price, it would probably follow me home.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy

this one seems to be very sound, it has little rust and the wood is in great shape. i couldn't pass it up for the price, i give $50 for it, i figured if it didn't shoot, i would just hang it on the wall for decoration. a long time ago one of my friends had one of these that he reblued and changed the stock, it made a beautiful piece. he used it for deer hunting and that i know of, he never missed what he shot at. i would like to put a scope on it, although i don't know how i would go about it unless i can find a mount for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Heck of a penetrator. If you get PROPER ammo - Norma is total junk, they use .264 diam when it
    needs .268. Expensive and worthless.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

I will keep the .268 diameter in mind. Do any of you cast boolits for this gun? If so which mold are you using?

Boolit Master

6.5 Carcano

I tried cast boolits in my Carcano and never found a decent, or should I say proper boolit for mine. Ended up buying a lot of Hornady's .268 jacketed bullets. Now I have a hard time getting it back from my kids and grandkids.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy

I sure do like the stock on that one uncle grinch, and I will be looking for some hornady bullets to load up. Do they have a selection of styles and weights or is it limited on this?

In Remembrance

A friend of mine, yes I do have a friend! He inherited at least 6 - 8 full length Carcanos. However, his deceased brother completely tore them down right to the last pin or screw. What my friend has now is bags of assorted Carcano parts besides the completely stripped barreled actions. He and his son, with some help from me, are trying to figure exactly what parts go together to make a single rifle.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3jimbo3 View Post
    I sure do like the stock on that one uncle grinch, and I will be looking for some hornady bullets to load up. Do they have a selection of styles and weights or is it limited on this?
    Mine all are 160 grain Hornady and appear to be a soft point round nose. Other than specialty and factory loaded ammo, your choices are few.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I tried cast boolits in my Carcano and never found a decent, or should I say proper boolit for mine. Ended up buying a lot of Hornady's .268 jacketed bullets. Now I have a hard time getting it back from my kids and grandkids.
    The Hornady .268 is only jacketed bullet designed for the Carcano.
    It has a thicker than normal jacket for the unique Carcano twist.
    For cast boolits, there was a group buy many years ago for a single cavity 6,5 mold.
    Oldfeller was the person heading up the buy.
    Molds were 'oversize' and custom sizing lubing dies were available.
    I currently have three of the molds out on loan at this time.
    Sizing lubing dies are elsewhere as well.

I have a shortened FAT41 that is fun with cast.

Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the .269 CBE gass check mould the Carcono,it works great in booth my Carcono and Jap 38 carbine with the very fast lube that Jim also sells,with this lube I just go by recomended powder and loads for this cartridge _ 3 gr and it has worked well for me

Boolit Buddy
    If you "load your own", and want to use .268" Dia. jacketed bullets, Graf & Son (on their web page, has 160 gr Hornadys RNSP (Blemished - # HRN 2645B) for $23.99 per 100. (As of 6:30 PM local time here - Indiana). They also have some .30 Cal. and 8MM Bullets available.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

I remember as a kid in the late 50's seeing those at the Model's down in Manhattan on Broadway. They had them on a dump table, probably 50 all thrown together like Pick Up sticks, and were selling them for $11.

Kaufman's Surplus, a few blocks away where the World Trade Center would later stand, was selling Martini falling block cadet rifles in .310 for $12, but had no ammo for them.

Times have changed in NY.

“an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast