Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Help with picking 30.06 mold

Boolit Buddy

Help with picking 30.06 mold

I have a CZ 30.06 bolt action that I would try loading with lead. My barrel twist is 1:14. I slugged my barrel ( a first for me ) and using my calipers I'm showing .306 on the dia of the lead slug.

1. If I'm showing .306 would a .308 dia mold work ok? If I remember correctly from all the reading I've done here I believe you want the mold .02 bigger than the dia of the slug. Am I right?

2. I know a 30.06 bullet is .308 but from my searches it seems like just about everyone goes with a mold dia of .311 Wouldn't that be too big for my barrel or would my lee sizer squeeze it down enough?

3. With the 1:14 twist what bullet weight would you suggest for hunting accuracy?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm really new at casting. I have been casting for my .45 acp for about a month now and that is the only experience I have.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Banned

I would recommend this mould

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=257

I suspect that you may need to double check the zero on your calipers and then measure again.

also make sure your slug fully fills out the lands and grooves for a good measure.

.001 or or .002 bigger is usually good, not .02

Boolit Buddy
    I believe my calipers are off. Just checked a factory 30.06 bullet and my dial showed .306 At least it is consistent. I don't have anything else to measure with except for a ruler and that's a no go for sure. Looks like I need to go shopping before I continue.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master

This is going to be my solution: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rn-GC-Spitzer) though I won't be able to tell you how it works for 4-6 months.

I believe you are incorrect in your statement of barrel twist rate. 1-10 has been the standard for .30-06 ever since day one, and this is what CZ lists as spec for the caliber on their website. The 1-10 twist allows good accuracy to be attained with everything from 55 grain saboted Remington Accelerators to round noses exceeding 220 grains. The Czechs like heavy bullets, and 1-14 would KILL that versatility, probably only stabilizing slugs reliably up to 150-160 grains. My CZ shoots 180s just fine. Might wanna check your info again.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Unless your CZ is a Palma rifle I'd recheck that twist. A factory 14" .30 cal twist on a sporter rifle is as rare as hen's teeth......I've not seen either. There were a few '06s made with 12" twists though but the 10" twist is pretty much the "standard" twist for '06s around the globe.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I got the twist rate from the cz web site. Just went back to see where I went wrong and found out the reason. When selecting the cz 550 american the data shown is actually for a 22.250 not a 30.06 even though I selected 30.06 So 1:10 it probably is. i don't see it marked on the barrel anywhere. maybe under the stock?
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Grand Master
    Very few factory rifles put the twist on the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    Friends call me Pac

Measuring cast bullet dia. with calipers is like a brain surgeon using a yardstick. Do you have a good mic, or can you borrow one ?

Iuse---Lyman #311291

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I also like the NOE 311- 165 FN for deer with the 06.

ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Buddy
    "Do you have a good mic, or can you borrow one ?"

No I don't have one but I plan to take my slug to the range and have the guys there mic it for me.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Grand Master

The 311041 Lyman has accounted for numerous deer for me out of numerous 10" twists including '06s. It's an excellent hunting bullet. However, the 31299 is my all around favorite for the '06 and cast soft and HP'd with the 1/8" Forster HP tool it also makes for deadly deer medicine.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post

No I don't have one but I plan to take my slug to the range and have the guys there mic it for me.
    That will work. Report back with your findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post

I had some similar issues with my calipers recently. Finding a mic for a low price was easier than I expected, the second pawn shop I went to had a winner. It wasn't a Mitutoyo or Starrett, but it is leaps and bounds better than the calipers.

Try your local pawn shops if you have time this week, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never bought a mic and don't have a clue as to what a good one is. I know what they look like (sort of like a c clamp). I will look around though because the 45 acp was just the beginning and I have a bunch more calibers to go.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Pac

Buy a cheapo that measures to thousandths plus vernier tenths, you will be better off than calipers. A simple google search will show you lots of micrometers, and no you don't have to spend $100 for one to see good results. Just like you don't have to spend $150 on a mold or $400 on a press to produce good boolits.

My experience so far is that it takes a lot of rounds cast, loaded, and shot to tell much of a difference once you have the 'right tools'. And once you think you have nailed it you realize one tool could be better, and things usually improve. And so on.

So, I'd recommend getting a mic sooner than later. Got mine for a measly $25, and will prob replace someday, but for now it is waaaay better than my calipers.

I should have listened to advice sooner.

My 06 is a 1 in 12 twist but a costom job and spec'd that way. It shoots the long Lyman 311332 really nice. These weigh in at 187 grains and are likely the longest boolit that would stabilize. The Lee 160 RN is worth a look. They always shoot well for me. For hunting the Lee 170 grain flat nose is a killer cast from wheel weights and pushed 16-1800 fps. I like 4198 for them.