WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester model 74 .22

I have one in 22lr. Haven't shot it yet, it was my grandfather's. The bluing is a little brown and someone did some weird fish scaling look on the stock. I'll have to try it out next time I go shoot.

I love these rifles. If kept clean they run very reliably. My 4 digit 22 short runs CCI CB shorts and they are very quiet. Like it so much I have built a collection of these fine rifles. the first one I got was my great grandads. Mom gave it to me after he passed. I am the second owner of that 1939 Winchester 74.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Boolit Master

It should shoot as well as my M-69A...which shoots very well!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 74 in 22 short, marked "not English make" and threaded for suppressor. Excellent condition, shoots flawlessly. It came with old dovetail bases for a scope. Took 'em off and bagged them (in my sight box). Shoots to point of aim with irons.

Banned
    I have found a minty 74 long rifle made in 1946. Mint bore. What should I be concerned about ? I've read that it's a horror to take down to clean.

Appreciate comments. Thanks !

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Humble View Post
    I have found a minty 74 long rifle made in 1946. Mint bore. What should I be concerned about ? I've read that it's a horror to take down to clean.

Appreciate comments. Thanks !
    RUBBISH!! Remove the magazine tube, push the cross bolt at the rear of the receiver and pull the entire bolt assembly out the back end. Takes longer to tell about it than to actually do it.

If the gun is actually "minty" and not refinished, then there should not be much to worry about with the possible exception of old, hardened lube. If the gun was refinished then there might be some wear issues which were the cause for the refinish but I have seen some of those old 74s so sloppy loose they rattled but still functioned just fine.

The price might be something to be concerned about, especially if the seller thinks he has collector grade specimen. For value guide check the online gun sale sites and see what they are selling for, not what people are asking for them. Anyone can ask whatever they want but the only true reference is what the guns are actually being sold for.

If you decide to buy it, I believe you will be very pleased. They are neat, reliable, accurate rifles and from an era when walnut and blue steel was the norm instead of this new plastic and aluminum and synthetic garbage.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned

whatever it said you wasn't supposed to be doing it.

I've had a few 74s, they are a good sleeper that you can pic up reasonable. They are one of the
    Winchester 22s that is not a hi profile model everyone is looking for. Most guys don't know they
    exist. I had one in Hi School days with a K4 weaver scope. Killed a bunch of squirrels with it. I
    was a accurate and dependable rifle. Don't have one at present time, got a couple 63s. They
    shoot good but are older models that would need D&T for scope. Both are excellent shape so I
    will not D/T them. My policy for the last 30 yrs, no D/T on original guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12