MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: bullet size for 30-30 winchester 94

bullet size for 30-30 winchester 94

Hello, new here recommended by BruceB at THR.

What I'm having trouble with is figuring out the right bullet dimensions for my lever rifle. I've put my orders on hold because of my confusion.

I was getting a Lee mold designed for 30-30's, flat nose gas check, but it's dimension is 309. I hear now that .311 works better. Lee says their molds don't even require re-sizing of the bullets, so there's no way I could use a .311 sizer on a .309 bullet out of the mold?

Thanks for any help!
    Good enough then!

Boolit Master

Lucky,
    I have the Lee C309-150F and it casts bullets at 0.3095” using an alloy of 2-1 (ww-#2). Accuracy with this bullet and my Model 94’s ('scoped) has been basically mediocre according to my standards. It shoots really well at 50 yards—1 inch or a bit less—but at 100 yards, the groups mostly go to the 2+ inch mark. This is also true with this bullet and my T/C Super 14”.
    I also use the Lyman 311041 bullet that weighs in at around 173 grains. This bullet measures 0.309” to 0.311” as the mould is out of round! This bullet shoots very well in both my Model 94’s and my T/C Contender. I keep it at around 1850 fps in the lever gun and 1685 in the handgun. Not blazing speed, but accuracy is dang close M.O.A. most of the time. The Contender shoots with better consistency than the lever gun.
    I shoot both bullets “as cast”. I seat the check in a 0.310” die only pushing the bullet in far enough to size/crimp the check. The rest of the bullet is untouched.
    I suspect that a bullet of 0.311” would be nice, but I have good results with the slugs I just mentioned. I prefer the 311041. I think the weight might be a helping factor with the 30-30. Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

What you can't do is get a gas check to seat straight using a Lee .311" sizing die with a .309" bullet. The die needs some force on the sides of the bullet in order to seat a gas check. So use a .309" die. And put some Lee Liquid Alox on the bullet before you run it through the die.

Also, your alloy might not drop a .309" bullet. It might be .310" to .311".

Boolit Grand Master
    Lucky, if you make an inquiry to Lee, they will sell you a mould that casts on the large side of the range-that is, if you want a mould that casts a bit oversized, sent 25 bucks to Lee, and they may be able to select one of a run of moulds that is casting to a larger diameter.

I have done this with a few of their moulds, as I need a larger diameter bullet than some of their moulds produce, most especially with the .45 caliber Marlin I own.

At the time I got them I talked to Dave Shono. Tell them that you want .310 or .311 and ask him to fix you up. Hopefully he's still working there. Give them a call first to make sure they can accomodate you. Also, if they do not make a sizing die in your desired diameter they can make one in almost any size you desire for another 25 dollars. You will need some kind of sizer to crimp on the gas checks.

First, though, you might want to slug or measure the barrel-.309" might be fine. Beg/borrow a few bullets and give them a try for groups before you spend any money. I wouldn't necessarily take it for granted that only .311" bullets will shoot. The proof is always in the shooting.
    Last edited by 35remington; 08-04-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome, Lucky. Does the name reflect a fortunate past, or hope for the future?
    .311 is my starting size for .30-30, and so far has been the most successful size for me. Only got three of 'em in the family though, so sample size is a bit small. My Lee 180 RN casts a little over .311 and sizes and takes gas checks just fine in the Lee sizer. The Lee liquid, followed by a dusting of mica works well, too.

Lee Mould

Just measured some boolits from the mould you mentioned. They run .310 from straight wheelweight. Did a quick trial on them today in a Marlin and they shot reasonably well. Around 1.25 inches at 50 yds. with iron sights. Every gun has its own likes as I've found out. I'm still learning , only been casting a couple of years.But this site has been a goldmine of Knowledge for me. Welcome aboard, Mel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    Hello, new here recommended by BruceB at THR.

What I'm having trouble with is figuring out the right bullet dimensions for my lever rifle. I've put my orders on hold because of my confusion.

I was getting a Lee mold designed for 30-30's, flat nose gas check, but it's dimension is 309. I hear now that .311 works better. Lee says their molds don't even require re-sizing of the bullets, so there's no way I could use a .311 sizer on a .309 bullet out of the mold?

Thanks for any help!
    Welcome Lucky!!!
    I recomend that you take a pair of calipers with you to your fishing tackle box. Select a soft lead slip sinker of a just bigger size than will fit in your gun bbl.
    With a wood dowel and a small hammer , drive the WD40ed sinker down the bbl with the wood dowel. Mic it and add one thou to the largest size you can get. Thats your size to dia. Thats where I would start. Good luck....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Lucky, welcome to our (gun)nuthouse. I am following BruceB's advice to not overload you with technicalities for two resons; he is my friend, and he also has about six inches and seventy pounds advantage! For an introduction to the complexities, Lyman's Cast bullet Handbook is must reading. No doubt Lyman's will raise a lot of questions. That's what we are here for. If you would like some sample cast boolits, PM me. I have some Lyman 311291 and maybe some Lyman 311041. I can send you a sample of one or both in .309" and .310" diameter.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Banned

If there is ever another Fat-30 order, i'd think about getting one cause I got groups under an inch at 50 yrds this passed winter with my Marlin 30-30 micro groove 336...

Boolit Grand Master
    My Win 94 (post-'64, pre-AE) dotes on Lyman #311291 sized at .311". Throat runs about .3105" or so, which matches the throats on 2 Win M-70's in 30-06 I've messed around with. Dunno if that's a Winchester quirk or what, but it makes a lot of my 30 caliber boolit sizing a lot less complicated.

My usual stunt is to attempt match or very slightly exceed a rifle's throat diameter for sizing a boolit. Lever rifles often have relatively short throats and abrupt rifling origins--about like a concrete curb edge at times. Best work overall for me has been to just get the leading edge of the boolit's front driving band to gently kiss the rifling origin. Seating or engraving boolits with a rifle lever is labor-intensive, to say the least.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I see! Useing a lead sinker is genius, I'll do that soon as I get back this weekend.

Then I'll have an idea what for bullet size. Great stuff. And I never would have thought to just ask for a mould that was unusually large (forehead getting sore from slapping).

But worst comes to worst I don't really need great accuracy, though it's always welcome! Cheap and fun mostly, and you don't need a license to take it camping for bear defence.

As for round bullets in a tube magazine, I was trying hard to stay away from that. Did some THR reading, but none of you have problems with lead round nose bullets?
    Good enough then!

Boolit Master

.30-30

Lucky;
    Lee's 150 and 170 should do ok, unless your groove diameter is much over .309, it is possible to cheat a little by sizing the gas check bullet in a sizer larger than the bullet, I do that with my .314 M44, bringing groups down from 3" at 25 yds to 2" at 50 yds, still poor shooting.
    I also do that with the 310gr .44 bullet, my Handirifle is .431 groove, H&R's standard size, so I size .430 bullets in a .432 sizer I made and with water dropped bullets got 1" at 50 yds with a scope.
    The ,303 Brit. bullet, C312-185-1R should be plenty big , if the round nose makes you nervous, just flatten it on a file.
    Don