WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee 1oz slug loads need different powder question

Boolit Buddy

Lee 1oz slug loads need different powder question

I only have enough blue dot powder to make about 60 slugs, The powders that i have are red dot,bullseye and unique. The slugs will be used for 3-gun so i dont needs blazing speed and targets are out to 50yrds. I will be using AA hulls and have some nitro cards for spacers and different federal wads for adjustable slug height, I dont want to try going into this blindly, Can i use eather of the powders listed? and what powder charge if accepable?
    Thanks Coleman

Boolit Master

I am interested, too, as the data provided with the mold has not changed, to my knowledge, since the Activ brand components were available.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Coleman, since you have Unique, you're in business. You could also use the RedDot, just look up a Trap load for that powder. I'm sure you will enjoy the loads with the Unique and RedDot more than the BlueDot loads, if you have been using the BlueDot data provided with the mold. That tends to be a bit much for fun shooting.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...eid=3&gauge=12

The link I posted is for 1&1/8 ounce data because Alliant doesn't show data for loads as light as 1 ounce using Unique. Due to the construction of the AA hulls, there is no data for the Federal wads, so basically it is just a guideline. Standard caveats apply, but I use 25 grains of Unique in a AA hull with a federal 12S3 wad with the Lee one ounce slug. I have the nitro wads, but adding one inside the 12S3 doesn't allow a good crimp in the AA hull with that powder charge. I picked the 12S3 due to its thin and tough petals.

A reduced speed (and recoil) slug load that performs at 50 yards should give quite the advantage in shooting time in a 3-gun match. If you're shooting an autoloader, you may be limited as to how low you can go and still function the action.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master

As pipehand said above, I have loaded Lee 1oz. slugs with published Red Dot loads using 1oz. and 1 1/8oz. trap load data. This goes with the other componet data as well, star crimped or roll crimp.

Boolit Grand Master
    Red Dot powder 16.5 to 17.5 grains
    WAASL (pink) wad. Holds up better than the Claybuster clones do.
    Tapered interior trapload type case
    Fold crimp.

Around 1150 to 1200 fps with much milder recoil. W209 primers are what is normally used by me.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys that is what i wanted to know.
    Thanks again Coleman

Boolit Grand Master
    Coleman,

If you want to reduce your costs a bit more, give Promo a try. Promo uses the same load data as Red Dot - it is made by Alliant. I use a lot of Promo for Trap loads and it is a good choice for low velocity applications like yours. I have a thread asking about a good mold for 50 yard low recoil loads and I intend to use Promo as i have 8 jugs of the stuff and I have never had a problem with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've loaded the suggested load with Promo as well as I'm a big user of it. No problems.

I mentioned Red Dot and not Promo because that's what the OP said he had but agree with the idea that Promo is economical because it is. I shoot it all the time in pistol, light rifle and shotshell loads.

Boolit Buddy
    35 Rem, I stopped at a store yesterday and no Promo but had 2# of red dot total cost with tax was $50.90 ouch, but in today climate get what you can get.
    Thanks Again Coleman

Boolit Grand Master
    Promo should run about 88 bucks for 8 lbs, and Red Dot for around 102. Per lb. RD goes for around 18. Promo is only sold per 8 lbs.

I recently did some testing with Reddot and Unique to see what velocity I could get out of them.

Lee 1oz slugs
    WAA12 wads (orange)
    Federal high brass hulls
    CCI 209M primers

20gr of Reddot produced just above 1200fps and worked fine.
    25gr of Reddot produced 1400fps but no accuracy and the wads where torn up.

25gr of Unique produced just above 1200fps but made for really dirty (carbon covered) hulls.
    30gr of Unique was the same as 25gr of Reddot; 1400fps, no accuracy, shredded wads.
    Last edited by LUTNIT; 03-25-2013 at 01:53 AM.