Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Watch out at the range !

Boolit Master

At least they didn't mention that police training mentions the "danger" of reloads as well. When I was in the academy, the instructors made it sound like any reload would turn your gun into a frag grenade and cause everything else around you to spontaneously explode. As a new recruit, I had to just bite my tongue.

In my department range, the remains of a K frame S&W are epoxied to a board, with a sign about the danger of "hot loaded" reloads.

My range master is a big 1911 fan, and after I showed of my .400 Cor-Bon conversion to him, he saw that my hand loads were safe and accurate.

I personally refuse to shoot at Bass Pro Shops even though it's my closest local range. The range prohibits reloads/hand loads, but the store sells reloading gear and components downstairs.

I'm on the other coast of Florida, so I'm not familiar with that range or news station. I'll be asking about this on Flaguns.com maybe somebody on the SW coast would have a little more insight, perhaps some selective editing was in use.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by josleynrm View Post
    I expect there will be some push to regulate, restrict, monitor etc people who reload. All for the safety of the public of course.
    There should be a push to regulate, restrict, monitor, etc. people who report the news.................

I also now a few people who shouldn't fill their own cars with gas.......................

FYI it's pretty easy to pick up a factory box and stick your reloads in them. No one is probably looking that close...................

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    There should be a push to regulate, restrict, monitor, etc. people who report the news............
    And a license and a Constitutional test for anyone running for public office.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Will admit I am more than a little concerned about the issue. Ran into two guys at the range this week, who had never loaded a round, but had bought all kinds of reloading equipment. One said he had spent over 5 grand since the election, and wanted advice on powder, etc. The other said he was not able to find dies for his 40S&W, and wanted to know the best powder for it etc.
    Might turn out ok, but am not real anxious to be on a bench next to one of these guys. Much prefer the newbee that starts small and learns on the way up.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

Like it or not there are way more new firearms owners shooters and soon to be reloaders now than at any time in the past. Saftey, Range etiqette and common sense will drop for several years till all these neew people are trained taught and brought up to speed. Its scary but also up to seasoned knowlegable shooters to educate these people. Think about it then when you see a new shooter strike up a conversation and offer pointers and information to them Lead them in the right direction. Take a little time from shooting and help make them safer shooters. I have seen several guns blown up 1 at Camp Perry during a state match ( slam fire) 2 from overloads ( portugese .308 mil surpluss ammo in the 80s) and one from a laser bore sighter left in the barrel, and a shotgun (where plug of mud in the bore was suspected). We need to get these people educated as fast as possible and as accuratly as possible for not only there saftey but ours as well. Reloding is a safe interesting hobby if done correctly and competently, If not then alot of various dangers do exist. How many have heard, the manuals maximums are starting points? I added a little extra powder in this batch to really make it work, I found a bunch of brass on the range today, My buddy gave me this load for his rifle for me to shoot. I reload check data in several manuals and pay alot of attention to what Im doing. I have used true handloaders ( Lyman 310 tools and Lee mallet dies) to current technology ( Dillon 650). Thown many gallon jugs of spent primers out ( my proggressives have the primer catchers modified to use a tube running under the bench to the gallon Jug saves empting those little Trays/cups) Pass your knowledge on to these people as best you can educate them. Almost all are looking for help and you will probably make a new friend in the process.

Keep in mind that we ALL were new to reloading at one time. There is and always will be a learning curve. Still, I suspect fewer reloaders get injured than race car drivers..........................

Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    Keep in mind that we ALL were new to reloading at one time. There is and always will be a learning curve. Still, I suspect fewer reloaders get injured than race car drivers..........................
    And Maybe even Spectators.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    I have an FCC Complaint Number for my filing. We shall see if anything comes of it. I doubt very much that it will...

Boolit Master

Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 03-11-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Where I work the shooting guys want to order progressive presses set up for each caliber they shoot , them having never loaded before I suggested they start with a single stage press,nope they are going for the fast method right off the bat,kinda like learning to drive in a viper,well I said I will visit you in the hospital because i see a accident in your future, oh well I tried

Boolit Buddy

evil evil used case re users

You Too Elder7 ??

Must have been a Bad year for boating accidents.
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

And the billions of recyclable water bottles & trash bags. Recluse, who is that dealer?

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrees View Post
    Must have been a Bad year for boating accidents.
    The horror ! The HORROR !

Boolit Master
    Not to mention that all of my mold and fishing weight packages say something like "Causes birth defects in California woman and kills California Condors" or something like that.

Boolit Master

Ya know he may have a point there. Back in the olden days Buffalo hunters reloaded their ammo and we lost all the Buffalo. Must have been dangerous.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by ihguy View Post
    Where I work the shooting guys want to order progressive presses set up for each caliber they shoot , them having never loaded before I suggested they start with a single stage press,nope they are going for the fast method right off the bat,kinda like learning to drive in a viper,well I said I will visit you in the hospital because i see a accident in your future, oh well I tried
    Yep, lots of first time reloaders over on the Dillon forums, not the best way to start.

My reloads make me feel safe, warm, & fuzzy. O no this boat is sinking also o no.

Boolit Buddy
    Yet, going progressive first is like me never riding a motorcycle and jumping on my dad in laws Harley Ultra Classic full dresser for lessons. Yikes...

Boolit Master

I'm going to write about another disturbing trend. Due to the economy, people are no longer eating at restaurants and are preparing food at home- including handling raw meat. Without proper training like restaurant employees get, someone is bound to get sick!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast