RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Old Redding Model #1 Powder Scale

Boolit Buddy

Old Redding Model #1 Powder Scale

At the Flea Market the other day I bought an old Redding #1 powder scale. Cast iron and painted brown and shows great "Old World" quality with the original box and a deal at $10. There was no literature so I don't know what the "Dampening" fluid I am suppose to use in the little resevior. I suppose water will work fine but just courious as to what Redding recommended. Anyone?
    TIA, Bud

Boolit Master
    Bud, don't use water, they used oil to slow down that swinging paddle in a puddle! Don't remember what kind of oil, they really weren't too particular, but mineral or olive oil should do the job nicely.

Oil damping worked better than no damping but not as well as magenetic fields which followed so the oil designs didn't stay on the market long. Nevertheless, you do have a good scale. (Have I dated myself?)

Keep the scale covered when it's not in use to keep the oil from collecting a layer of dust, a hanky will do. And replace the oil as needed to keep it clean.

You may use a (shaped) pencil erasure to clean and polish the beam's pivots and bearings without damaging them.
    Last edited by 1hole; 08-11-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Boolit Man
    The correct dampening fluid is plain 30-weight motor oil. Be sure to avoid getting it into the knife/bearing area.

I had one of these, new, in the middle 1960s and they work quite well. It was just a little bofore the magnetic dampeining hit the scene.
    B.F.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    BF, has said it right. About 30 weight oil.

I have one of these, and it is not a very good scale, the oil will creep and crawl until its down the side of your scale all over everything.

Plus, it takes forever for the scale to level out and stop bobbing. But if you're not in a hurry it will eventually level out.

Jim