MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Cleaner burning lube for revolvers ???

Cleaner burning lube for revolvers ???

Pretty sure its time for me to switch lubes so am looking for some input from you guys who have tried a few or just unlike me were able to get it right the first time. I started casting for rifles and settled on the Jakes Moly Ceresin as I shot very long barreled milsurps and it was great for them. Now I have a K-14 Smith and have progressed to cleaner powders which is helping some to keep the smudge pot residue down but not as well as I would like. I cast my own bullets of course and match the alloys to the pressures as the loads require for good sealing to keep gas cutting out of the equation. Seeing as to how it is such a PITA to change lubes in my 450 lubesizer I am hoping with your help to get it right the first time . I have a batch of 411 home made lube on hand but must admit it seems pretty soft and dont know as of yet if it is low or no smoke . It is made from 4 parts Bees Wax, 1 part lithium grease, 1 part Type 3 trans fluid, and a touch of Carnuba wax . I also have a stick of Carnuba Red. Feel free to chime in if you have tried any of these as well. Thanks for lookin and am looking forward to your replies.

10 Spot
    Last edited by 10 Spot Terminator; 03-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Banned

Well, first off you didn't make Junior's 4-1-1 lube correctly. It's supposed to be four parts beeswax, one part lithium grease and one part Dexron III transmission fluid. No wonder your lube was soft! Second, what is "type 4" transmission fluid? Do you mean Mopar ATF +4? I wouldn't use that at all on account of the stench. Dexron III/Mercon ATF is the least stinky of them all IMO.

4-1-1 lube is inherently a tiny bit smokey, but not as bad as some lubes to me. Rebuild a batch of it and try it out.

My other recommendations for commercial low-smoke lubes would be Bullshop's Speed Green or Randyrat's TAC #1 lube.

Runfiverun's Simple Lube is a good one too, I made a batch of it about a month ago and it works great in my pistols.

The lowest-smoke lubes I've ever shot are some special, home-made concoctions. My version is Smurf Lube, see near the end of the "Extreme Lube" sticky to find the recipe and detailed instructions. The lube does not burn at all during the firing sequence and loads using it develop no more smoke than a jacketed bullet at the same pressures.

Gear

Gear you nailed the 411 recepie dead on. I went out to the shop and found the recepie stashed with my home made stick moulds and it was built as you said but with about 3.5 ozs. of red wax from cheese moulds that I was told were carnuba added. I have edited my original post to correct this and thank you for catching the error. I might try pan lubing a few casts with it as seeing as to how I poured a couple of cakes when I brewed this stuff up. If I wanted to stiffen it up somewhat what would be the trick ? More beeswax ? If I opt to do this I would like to add some color to it as is a beige/pink sickly looking color now and hear that crayons do the trick . If I remelted say a quart of the 411 as is what would be your estimation of amounts of product to add including crayons ?

10 Spot

Banned

the 1 part atf is just a bit too much for my tastes.
    i doubt the cheese wax has any carnuba in it,in fact most places sell cheesewax as part of their parrafin line.
    i'd up the b-wax.
    if i were trying to color a lube with crayons i would stick to the crayola brand and use a blue color.
    it should make the lube a green like color.

Banned

Junior calls it "Pinko-Commie *** Lube" for a reason. I think you're pretty much stuck with the color.

The cheese wax I think is a stretchy microwax/paraffin blend, and there are two kinds: An inner sealing wax and a colored rind wax. The melt points are different.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

What would hurt if you start simple (KISS) and add ingredients when/if you feel they are necessary? I like simple lubes; Speed Green, LithaBee, etc. You have the ingredients for Lithabee, why not start there?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    What would hurt if you start simple (KISS) and add ingredients when/if you feel they are necessary? I like simple lubes; Speed Green, LithaBee, etc. You have the ingredients for Lithabee, why not start there?
    Yessir ,,, That is the direction I am Heading. When I made the rather large batch of 411 lube I made about 2 dozen sticks and the rest went into 4 oz. cakes for later possible pan lube use. I am going to reheat the cakes one at a time and bump them up with a tad more beeswax and a pinch of pure carnuba wax that a good friend gave to me. That outta do it. As it is now it is as I stated earlier too soft but I am sure has plenty if not too much lubricity in its current state. When I made the original batch being sure to get it all over the place including me ,,, my hands were so soft for days afterwards that I went and had my hormone levels checked,,,

Maybe we should be using this stuff as hand and foot skin softener,,,, Hmmmmmmm ...