Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Faster way of seating cores ?

Boolit Buddy
    7/32nds inch drill used but you might take it up to 15/64ths. The dia. of the chamfer is app. .0420". I determined that by slowly pushing a derimmed piece of brass closed end first over the edge until tipped in. Derimmed brass being a bit over 0.710" the heavy end will fall in but the open end will bridge the chamfered hole. I noticed when I first tested, the brass would tip in but hang up on the edge of the 45 degree chamfered hole. In an attempt to increase the angle of the chamfer I used a 19/64ths drilled 0.2" deep so it's kind of a stepped hole from the top. All that **** could be eliminated if you have a countersink with more than a 45 degree angle. I would suggest the hole be 1" deep so maybe use a 1/2" piece on the bottom and 3/4" on the top. It was all trial and error, that's why i had to pull the handle so many times. You know us backyard tinkerers, "well the 13/64ths works but maybe if'n I drilled 'em out to 7/32nds it'd work better". Add another 105 pulls of the handle to the count. Before I make another one I'm going to find a sheet of whatever with holes perforated into it to use as a hole guide. The heck with drawing all them lines. Hope this rather obscure explanation helps. The project was just an effort to kill an afternoon whilst I await my last two dies from BT SNIPER (hint, hint Brian).

Lafaun- Your lead wire die works great. It's a snap on my WH press.

Supe

Boolit Buddy
    Utah shooter- Yup, that was one of my inspirations. The other one was the premade plastic bullet holders for sale. The price was the inspiration for making it myself out of plywood. Congrats on the postal shoot. I hope to compete in the next one with my own swaged bullets. (another hint, hint Brian. I'll stop now)

Boolit Master
    And they do look nice Sir. Better than I can dream of doing.

No you wont stop the hints Supe!!!

Neither would I though.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Vendor Sponsor

Utah,

Thanks for posting the link. $250 back in 94. They will sure come in handy if we could have some made.

Since there seems to be some pretty good intrest in the subject now I might as well post a link myself.

Here you go! Check out the pics! http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2421
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    Be still this heart of mine....

Vendor Sponsor

Utah,

found your post on BRCentral. Funny, like minds search the net alike Lots of good info out their on "bullet boards"

I know a member here with a CNC mill and looking for business! I may have to contact him!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

I'm keen to try using one of these, I'm sure I could make it work, especially for the price:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/capsu...443659430.html

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by aaronraad View Post
    I'm keen to try using one of these, I'm sure I could make it work, especially for the price:

HOLY SHEEP! maybe?????
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

you guys have no idea how long I have been looking for somthing like that. I guess our founding fathers of swage where heavy pill takers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_(pharmacy)

This link will give you the size of the capsules in mm! It might work????!!!!
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by aaronraad View Post

That is cheap! If some one gets one, PLEASE let us know what size works. My wife would greatly appreciate it!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    By looking at the capsule size chart, it looks like a #2, or #3, set will work.
    #2 = .250 inch.
    #3 = .229 inch.
    I think that I may order one to play with.

Lafaun
    Last edited by alfloyd; 03-08-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Buddy

I just ordered one of the Aliexpress looks just like what we use in the pharmacy, but about 10 times less expensive.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Utah,

Thanks for posting the link. $250 back in 94. They will sure come in handy if we could have some made.

Since there seems to be some pretty good intrest in the subject now I might as well post a link myself.

Here you go! Check out the pics! http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2421
    Well I was mainly posting for the dimensions that are within. I think the price of that is way overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Utah,

found your post on BRCentral. Funny, like minds search the net alike Lots of good info out their on "bullet boards"
    BT
    Yup that is a fantastic site. If anyone wants a really good read by some guys who really know their stuff do some digging over there.

That pill separator sure looks great.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

A buddy of mine made Walter a set out of 1/2" plexiglass on a CNC mill at the local community college machine shop.
    Walter was always trying to get me into benchrest shooting, he came close. He did get my machine shop teacher.
    Walter had a shooting buddy named Raymond, I have a couple hundred of their "rejects", the first ones "before the dies warmed up" they told me, they will shoot better than I can!
    My teacher built me a Rem 700 in 6PPC with a benchrest barrel. Only shot about 50 times, finally got a Weaver T-36 so I guess it is time to see what it can do.
    Walter passed a few years back, Raymond is still around but does not shoot anymore .
    Those were two good guys, they taught me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    That is cheap! If some one gets one, PLEASE let us know what size works. My wife would greatly appreciate it!
    Pass on my apologies to your wife

I spotted it about 12 months ago but figured some other cookie would have been all over it. Based on some of my dealings with that part of the world, some suppliers can be talked into producing alternative designs without doubling the price to each modification. Part of the trick is to make sure you're not from an industry that is going to make a huge profit from the equipment being purchased.

I think for those more mechically minded there are opportunities to modify a tablet press for bullet swaging. I'm not against importing if the importer is adding value to the item, if I stated otherwise I'd hardly be honest given what I do to a J4 jacket. Manufcaturing in Australia is up the creek so I'm constantly forced to come up with alternatives. Still hoping to form a Bullet Swaging Guild to better assist local businesses with consistent, affordable supply of raw materials and tooling.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well I was able to get one of Supe47 proto types made out of plastic lucky me. I was told not to expect much it was not working as well as he wanted and craftsmanship was not that great then I got mail. I could not find anything terrible about it. Made of some thick plastic drilled line up pins walls eight screws he supplied I was off and running. Tossed in some brass shoot it up they dropped in well took some cores drop them in and that went fine. Picked up the top and the sides there they sat ready to be run in the press. Another thing I am not found of is picking them up and turning them to point form so I dumped in some seated cores\jackets shook it up and there you go everyone sitting up read to go. I love it works great and speeded up my production rate by no less then three times as fast. He should make them to sell guys hit him with a pm maybe you can get one. I tried to post a video of it but since I lowered my internet speed its not letting me upload them now.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    RP- Thank you for the kind words. And also, thank you for being my test subject. I'm almost completed with Model #3, no assembly required and a 160 hole model. I'll try and post some pics for ya'all tomorrow.
    Supe

Boolit Buddy
    <tapping fingers on table> waiting for pics. LOL

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by supe47 View Post
    RP- Thank you for the kind words. And also, thank you for being my test subject. I'm almost completed with Model #3, no assembly required and a 160 hole model. I'll try and post some pics for ya'all tomorrow.
    Supe
    Let's make AMERICA Great again!!!

Boolit Buddy

An easier way to get them #%&*@#? cores in the jackets

Roger- Personally, I'm a thumb twiddler. Sorry for the delay, life rears it's ugly head once and a whenever. This is my "Model #3 Beta version". I'm 'sperimentin' with pieces of scrap thrown in the cutoff bin so the materials I'm using, so far, are not my first pick. Shown are an odd mixture of PVC, Plexiglas and some weird soft stuff that is not bonder friendly. Any future models I make will be made of PVCX, a lighter PVC. That stuff is great. Easily worked, bonds well and about 1/2 the weight of PVC.

Both top and bottom pieces are 1/2" but going to try a 5/8" top and 3/8" bottom plate for more exposed case and longer funnel. The cases are 1/2" C/C but the rows are .800" apart for easy pickins. This one is a 160 holer, not like the puny 96'er I sent RP for testing. So far the fence is only 1 1/2" high butt may raise it another 1/2" to aid dumping out the excess jackets and cores. It goes like this. Dump in 100 or so jackets and shake, wiggle and tilt until most are seated. Add more jackets and repeat. Once all hole are occupied dump out excess jackets through the small gate you had your grubby mud hook over while doing the shaky, wiggle thing. You might have a few jacket bottom side up. No worries. remove top plate and turn 'em over. Almost all jackets will fall open end up. Replace upper plate. Do the same with cores. DISCLAIMER- The cores, as of this model, do not fall in as easy as the jackets so a bit of fingering or swishing around with your hand may be necessary. The cores like to hang up on the edge of the jacket and some don't readily fall into the jacket with the normal shake method. I believe that issue will be resolved with the 5/8" top plate. Or maybe I'll make a "core only" top plate. This is still a work in progress and not totally perfected. Anyway, here it is.

I'm trying to make a video and will post a link when it's uploaded to photo bucket. Improvements made as material is chucked at San Diego Plastics. When you're experimenting ya gotta keep it on the cheap. But it has given me the excuse to buy a drill press and table saw. Again, sorry for the delay.
    Supe

Boolit Master

I'm saving my pennies..........perhaps I will have enough when you start making them.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast