Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hand priming tool recommendations

Boolit Master

Hand priming tool recommendations

I currently have a lee prime all and it does the job I need it too. I am setting up another reloading bench at my Dad's place for a variety of nieces and nephews. I have everything but the primer setup. I have an RCBS press with the most of the priming system, but am missing the tubes. For the price of the tubes, I might as well get another hand primer. Any recommendations?
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

I like my Lee hand primer, unless I'm using a progressive, that's what I'd suggest.

Boolit Buddy
    For the money, the lee's are tough to beat.....people can qualify the answer with pay more get more, but lee will do everything you need. Spend more if you need the features offered by the higher dollar units, don't if they aren't.

Boolit Grand Master

I hand prime with a lee as I watch T.V. Usually do 2-300 cases at a time.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy

I have one of the older Lee Hand Primers with the round trays, it has seen quite a bit of use but still works fine. If you would like it for the bench at your Dads place just PM me, I would be glad to donate it to you.
    The problem with our society is a decline in morals, only the people of this once great nation can choose to correct that problem, morality cannot be regulated by our government.

Perma-Banned

I am using the RCBS one I like it. It is sensitive enough to feel the primers going in and stopping.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the RCBS Hand Priming Tool, the one that uses regular shell holders. I have had it for around twenty years with absolutely no problems. It fits my hand better than the Lee.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I like the RCBS Hand Priming Tool, the one that uses regular shell holders. I have had it for around twenty years with absolutely no problems. It fits my hand better than the Lee.

Robert
    i have the RCBS too, i really like it because of the use of standard shell holders as well.
    i have a very old lee hand prime, one that must have each primer loaded in by hand... and it uses some special thread in shell holders.
    hello.

Banned

I have two of the "old" Lee Precision hand primers. Kept them lubed and still going strong over 10 years. Want to get the new Lee Precision Ergo Prime - looks cool in Lee Precision red.

Banned

wish I had a penny for every case ive primed with the lee!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Have both the Lee and RCBS hand priming tools. RCBS is better made but PIA changing over from one size priming to the other. Since I don't load SR, I just leave the RCBS set for LR and do all pistol on the Lee. WFM.

Winelover

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    +1 on the RCBS hand priming tool. I can actually feel the priming which has saved me from wasting primers on tight pockets

Boolit Buddy

I have the Lee hand prime and it does the trick. I had the one with round trays but the handle broke. Easy fix was to get the new one with square trays. They both use the same shell holders and it works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

After breaking two Lee tools I invested in RCBS. I have one of each, one that uses the shell holders and one with the universal holder. I've not had major problems with either, but you do have to use current RCBS shell holders in that machine. I had an old, huge one that wouldn't come close to fitting and the interior holes in the Lee are too small.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have the old Lee with the screw in shell holder that does one at a time, the newer Lee with the round tray and the RCBS hand primer with the polygonal tray. They all work, and I use them all as the mood strikes me. As mentioned, the changing of shell holders on the RCBS is a little more involved than the same change on the Lee with the tray. The RCBS' use of their standard shell holders means that that shell holder is tied up while it is in the primer and can't be used for reloading unless replaced with another shell holder. Letting the thing go slack with no shell holder in place means fifteen minutes or so of sorting out parts to get it working again. And putting in a shell holder to keep it together. Also some of the older RCBS holders, and many of the other manufacturers' holders, don't fit in the RCBS primer without some modifications. The Lee holders are specific to the Lee primer, and can't be used for anything else, but they are pretty cheap, and can be kept in the Lee primer without tying up another part of the reloading operation. Changing out the shell holder, or the small or large priming setup, is pretty easily done. The thing is mostly plastic and pot metal, which means that it will break or wear out more quickly, but I haven't wrecked or worn mine out yet.

The Lee has a more secure closure on the tray lid than the RCBS. Popping in a sticky primer can sometimes loosen the lid on the RCBS tray and make the primers jump around or fall out. The Lee does not have a shutoff on the lid, but I can't see that it is necessary anyway. Likewise, the RCBS safety device that isolates the primer being seated from the rest of them in the tray is a solution to a problem that never happens, at least to me.

The big advantage of the RCBS is the power comes from the palm of your hand and all four fingers. If you're getting old and arthritic, or your thumbs aren't strong, the RCBS is the easiest to use. The Lee rests in your hand, but your thumb is doing all the pressing on the seating lever, so it is a little more tiring. I usually give it a two handed grip and use both thumbs.

Boolit Master

I've had all of the lee's except the one with screw in shell holders, of them I like the new ergo prime the best. The ergo prime is opposite of the other Lee's, you don't use your thumb, you use the other 4 fingers, like the RCBS that I used to own.

Banned

I expect the Ergo Prime will be very popular based on price and new design.
    On Midway USA the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool gets 4.2 stars based on 64 reviews and costs $62.00. The Lee Precision Ergo Prime get a 3.8 based on 46 reviews and costs $32.00, and the RCBS Hand Priming Tool get 3.4 based on 116 reviews and costs $40.00.

I used a Lee for about half a zillion loads, but then I bought a Hornady hand-held and immediately retired the Lee.

The only trick with the Hornady is to replace the snap-in stud for the tray lid with a 6-32 screw from the back, with a wingnut on the top. The lever arrangement on the Hornady is far, far, FAR less tiring than the Lee, and the whole tool is far better made, except for that snap-in stud. It uses standard RCBS type shellholders, so no need to have a set of the flat Lee kind. This is a real boon to me, because I load some obsolete cases for which Lee does not even have a suitable shell-holder.

I really would never again buy the Lee.
    Cognitive Dissident

K&M Tools. Don't bother with anything else if you want true precision primer depth seating and reliability.

Boolit Master
    I started with the early Lee using the fine thread shellholders, then went to the RCBS..when I finally got serious about consistancy and accuracy..bought the K&M..solid steel const. & freedom from that die-cast mushy feel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast