MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hand priming tool recommendations

I have been using the RCBS hand primer for quite a few years. The only thing I can fault with it is the little tendon on the lid wears and the lid becomes loose causing problems.

Banned
    I'll throw in - I'll use a Lee hand primer when working with a single stage press. I've broken a few Lee's over the years but they are relatively cheap and they don't fail that often. If I'm going to load large numbers I go to a progressive press, so it's kind of a non-issue. Use what works for you.

Boolit Grand Master

Been using a pair of LEE hand primers for several decades. If ya treat them the way you would an expensive tool, (lube) they will serve you well.
    If ya forget the lube (because the're cheap), and just power through, they will break.

Banned

"If ya treat them the way you would an expensive tool, (lube) they will serve you well."

Lubrication is key, I agree. I still have three of the "old" models and they keep on ticking. Wanting to try the new Lee Precision Ergo Prime.

Boolit Master

I like the Lee Ergo and Auto Prime XR because I can feel the primer seat. Its easy to feel a defective/flipped primer or bad case that you'd never notice on a press. After several thousand primers the only problem I've had is mis-aligning the plastic cover and breaking of one of its snap clips. Even so the unit still works! I've never had a primer go off either.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Lee hand primer and while it did the job, I did not like the flimsy feel.

I recently got a K&M. WOW ! Night and Day. http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/pr...er-deluxe.html

Best part is that it uses the Lee holders so if you are looking for an upgrade, you don't have to buy new shell holders.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warpspeed View Post
    I had a Lee hand primer and while it did the job, I did not like the flimsy feel.

I recently got a K&M. WOW ! Night and Day. http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/pr...er-deluxe.html

Best part is that it uses the Lee holders so if you are looking for an upgrade, you don't have to buy new shell holders.
    Having to handle the primers one at a time is a deal breaker for me. I'm sure it's a nice tool though.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    Having to handle the primers one at a time is a deal breaker for me. I'm sure it's a nice tool though.
    That is the only drawback but it is not as bad as it sounds.

The tool does have a nice feature where a little ring pops up to put the primer in.

Boolit Bub
    I got the rcbs aps hand primer about three years ago and have not used the others since. Its easy to feel the primer bottom easy to change sizes and with a strip loader use any primers you want. I have never bought a primer in a strip. It takes about a minute to put 100 primers in strips. the universal shellholder works with everything I have tried. This is my favorite priming tool but I may have to try the bench mounted tool.

I prime on the press for the most part, but only because of the volume of pistol caliber rounds which my shooting dictates. My Dillon 450 and 550 see the most duty. However, I still keep and use an RCBS original hand primer and an old Lee Auto Prime. The RCBS is my preferred hand priming tool because it is easy on my hand and I have primed many thousands of cases with it. Its a must have for me.
    regards,

Boolit Master

I broke my 20 y.o. RCBS Posi-Primer and it can't be repaired or replaced, unless someone has one that is willing to sell theirs used. I bought a pricy RCBS bench primer. It is clunky, whippy while swinging that primer laden tube back and forth, will outlast me for certain, gets the job done, isn't as sensitive as the Posi-Primer, will crush a primer in a tight pocket, and from this thread there is no real "stand out" hand priming unit. Recommendations are across the board and nearly equal.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    wish I had a penny for every case ive primed with the lee!!!!!
    Ditto. Good feel and still working after at least 10 years...

Boolit Master

I have 4 Lee square tray primers, I keep one for each type of primer. Every time Lee comes out with a new model I buy it and the old ones go to new loaders. I have never had one go bad or break. I grease the wear points once every 3 months and tell the people I have given my old ones to, to do the same thing and they last forever.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

There isnt anything Lee makes, that Id be interested in using.
    RCBS is about 90% of my stuff.
    Its all from the 60s & 70s, and works great everyday.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have 3 favorite hand primers, not necessarly in this order.

1. The old Lee Hand Primers with the screw in shell holders
    2. The K & M Hand Primer
    3. The Sinclair Hand Primer

The old Lee's are still found on E-Bay along with the shell holders.

BTW all 3 of the above are made in the U.S.A., which makes them a plus if you like supporting our Companies and labor force.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I own both RCBS versions and i like the 90200 version (left in picture) that requires seperate shell holders best. The 90201 version (right in picture) that uses universal shell holding device seems to require more force to seat primer fully. Allthough i do like the square tray that comes with the 90201 best, it is optional accessory for the 90200. Square tray fits all primer manufacturer packaging including the larger Federal packaging
    Last edited by detox; 09-22-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I have the lee auto prime xl or whatever it is called and also the rcbs universal.

The lee is nice but the large primer tray broke and no longer works on mine. For small primers it works just fine though!

The rcbs I bought since most large primers I do I only do 30 or so cases at a time so its nice not having to change shell holders

I like the lee better with shell holders for doing large quantities since it lines the cases up great. The rcbs can sometime misaligb the case slightly so it requires a bit more pressure or just reseating it. Not a huge issue but I've noticed it mostly with 30* cases.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong with whoever's you go with. Both work grey and both have pros and cons

Boolit Bub

I called Lee about my problems with the Priming tool, was told to send both trays back.
    Lee replaced both trays at no charge, later i read that if you had
    purchased a new Lee priming tool before March of 2013 send the trays back, they have redesigned the way the primers feed....

Quote Originally Posted by wool1 View Post
    For the money, the lee's are tough to beat.....people can qualify the answer with pay more get more, but lee will do everything you need. Spend more if you need the features offered by the higher dollar units, don't if they aren't.
    I like the Lee's as well, and have two of them (one in each primer size). They last longer and work smoother if the hinge point is kept lubed.

The only problem I see with the old ones is that they seem to be sensitive to primers other than CCI. Lee even has a warning about which primers to use. In the good old days when you could go down to the LGS and have your pick of primers, that wasn't much of a problem. Today, if you haven't stocked up, it could be.

I believe the new Lee primer doesn't have the issue about using specific primers. Strange that that warning didn't appear on any other priming tool.

The only gripe I have with the old Lee round trays, is that while they were excellent for the older smaller CCI 100 primer boxes, they don't work as well for the larger 100 count primer containers you find today. I suspect the new square trays would be much better.
    Last edited by dudel; 09-27-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234