Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are "Frosted" bullets considered rejects?

Boolit Buddy

Why are "Frosted" bullets considered rejects?

I see a lot of folks say frosted is OK. Then there are others that still say they are rejects. I'm still new to this and most of my bullets come out frosted and I use them. I am, however, curious as to why some say they are rejects? I've just never heard the reasoning behind the theory.

Boolit Master
    I have my share of rejects but frosting is not a consideration in my inspection practices. IMO, there's nothing wrong with a frosted boolit that a trip down the barrel won't cure.

Banned

frosting to me means rounded driving bands/corners and unequal weights.
    others say it helps hold tumble lube better.

Boolit Grand Master
    Heavily frosted boolits are almost always undersized, and hence, should be thrown back in the pot to be reincarnated.

Lightly frosted boolits are perfectly useable and in fact, that is the condition I strive for when trying for best fill out and maximum production.

Unevenly frosted boolits are definitely rejects, the frosted area will almost certainly be poorly filled out.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

I would have guessed that rounded corners would be caused by a cold mould like wrinkles? Perhaps I'm wrong. I have never noticed rounded corners on any of my frosted bullets, but I will look closer from now on. In my short experience (All in Lee two cavity moulds), I seem to either get wrinkles or frosting. My theory has been, given the choice, frosting is better than wrinkles. If I could get nice shiney bullets with no wrinkles, I'd cetainly like that, if for no other reason, they're pretty.

Banned
    Who said that?
    Have never had a shot deer complain, ever!

Banned

The order of appearance/dimension of typical non-eutectic ternary alloy as the mould temperature increases:

1. Shiny, wrinkled, undersized boolits with severely rounded everything.
    2. Shiny, wrinled and sorta filled out edges.
    3. shiny, smooth, and filled out sharply, largest size the mould will throw with that alloy (most of the time).
    4. shiny, smooth, but edges rounded and severely frosted white. still full-diameter. I reject all of these.
    5. Light, satin frost and razor-sharp fillout. The frost will wipe off with a dry rag revealing a shiny surface. This is an easy window of mould temperature to maintain, and simple enough to make a long run of consistent boolits maintaining mould temperature with only the visual aid of the boolit's appearance and sprue freeze time. It also makes an ideal temperature of boolit for water-quench hardening.
    6. Same, but starting to shrink the middle bands from excessive heating or pouring too fast.
    7. Frost getting heavier, edges starting to get slightly rounded-off again. Entire boolit starting to become undersized.
    8. Heavy frost, pitted, sandblasted surface, frost will not wipe off with a dry rag, looks like freshly broken cast iron, edges very rounded. Sprues usually smearing molten lead across the top of the blocks and building up under the sprue plate. Reject all of these and cool the mould.

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 03-07-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I try to run at #5 without wandering into #6. Sometimes manage #3, but usually pass through it on the way to #5.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Great list. I usually live at number 5 too, rarely getting into 6.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

Thanks for the write up Gear. I have a friend who has just started casting and I will print this and give it to him.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

From personal observation I think 4 is in the wrong place. I can go from perfectly filled and shiny to perfectly filled and frosty. I usually get #4 when my alloy is too hot but the mould is not hot enough.

As usual, I think gear nailed it.

Interesting how 3 and 5 are both really good, while 4 is rejected.

I wonder how many times I have inadvertently dropped a large portion of a run at that temp. Guess rounded edges would be the tell tale, but I use a healthy amount of tin so might be getting a little different results.

I used to try to get all the boolits frosty, prob between 5 and 6 on the scale. Realized I was getting a lot of undersized boolits so now I run the mold til they get frosty, then back the furnace down a few clicks and let the mold air cool for a minute or so.

This has been dropping shiny, sharp, full diameter boolits. I think it would be 3 on the scale.

I may even have to remove some beagling I added since I have gotten better at finding this temp.

Boolit Buddy

Gear,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write out that response. Thank you very much.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice post gear. Like MtGun, I run as close as possible to your #5. A little frosting on the nose is fine. Got over a fascination for shiney objects when I was a kid.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot mine. We're talking Gears #5 or slightly higher. Mildly Flawed boolit get sorted and fired as foulers or plinking. Any major flaws go back in the pot

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

springfield i'm sure uses lee 6 cav molds the most.
    i generally run my aluminum in the 3 area and the steel ones at the 5 area.
    i keep the alloy on the cold side once the mold is in it's zone.
    cold alloy is generally in the 650-675 area to me.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder where this whole "frosty is bad" thing started? IMO, a touch too hot
    usually gives me superior fillout. Certainly you can start burning out tin, but I
    cast a large batch and quickly so the tin burning doesn't seem to be much, if any,
    problem.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot for #5 too (no pun intended).

I find that using straight wheelweights or range scrap I generally produce slightly frosted boolits to get good fillout. A little frosting never hurt my feelings as long as the edges are sharp.

Very good observations and list Gear! I am sure many will find that useful.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Great post, Gear! Worthy of stickiness IMO.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned

it's allready linked to my "something" sticky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast