Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: #358627 Lyman Mould Question.

Boolit Master

#358627 Lyman Mould Question.

A while back 357Maximum started talking about a Lyman mould #358627, I liked what I read here and also Glen Fryxell's article on this boolit. I decided to get in on the group buy for the clone when I found in a gun shop NIB #358627 two cavity. I told the shop owner to hold it for me and I brought it home today, looked at it closely and see it is a #358627 CW no gas check. What have I got here, thought I was ahead of the game by finding an original, but not so. This is not a boolit that I intend to shoot a lot, I like the .35 cal. and I am always trying to pick up more .35 cal. moulds. I'm thinking I can't drive this one as fast as a gas checked version and if that is the only case that's probably OK. I didn't like what I was hearing about Lee's recent work and dumped quite a chunk on this one.

Anyone had any experience with this boolit or know any of the history, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    Joe:

I would love to have a couple of bullets out of your mould and would gladly pay any shipping.

If you ever want to "dump" the mould itself please drop me a PM.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Lucky Joe:

Lyman #358627 was introduced in 1984 with the notation: "NEW HEAVY .357 PISTOL BULLET...This extra heavy bullet #358627 opens new reloading territory for the .357 Maximum, .35 Herrett and other .357 pistol as well as rifle cases including the new .356 Winchester. In fact, our bullet #358627 has the highest ballistic coefficient of any .357 pistol bullet...Price: $32.95." Weight is listed as 214 grs., and takes the #429 (standard Keith SWC) top punch and seating stem. It was discontinued after 1997. The suffix "CW" indicates it was the third cherry cut for Lyman for this bullet (A, B. C...) by outside vendor "W" (not identified in my records). It is shown as a gas-check bullet; check your weight - if a lot lighter than 214 grs., it may have been "short cherried" on special order by someone wanting a lighter bullet - or it may have been shortened by a previous owner, (though you describe it as "new in box").

Hope this answers your questions.

EDIT:

PS: I just checked my example, a near new 2-cavity mould gotten last month from another member here; mine DOES have the GC shank - but I have not yet cast any to check the weight.

floodgate
    Last edited by floodgate; 08-10-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    I fpound one at a gun show in Codt NIB. It casts a 225 grain bullet, lubed and checked. Awaiting some data from a 357 Max owner, have shot some with WC 860 in a 35/348 AI. 25 yards they shot into two inches so more shooting and loading is needed. It is a nice looking bullet, wish I still had a 356.

Boolit Master
    Well here I stand red faced, hat in hand, tail between my legs. I couldn't wait until I have handles to cast this mould. I made a couple of glue boolits and now the gas check shank is clearly visible. I'm still looking for all the help I can get on this one and can't wait to start casting. Whewwww what's with this casting habit anyway?
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Moderator Emeritus

THis is my go to bullet in the 356 Win but I have never shot it in any of the pistol;s I own. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

How do them glue bullets shoot?

That is the question on everyone mind I'm sure of it!

Boolit Master
    Blammer,

Not sure how they shoot, I make up these glue boolits mostly just to show people what they look like. I can do this and not have to fire up the pot or have handles of which I'm really short on. I might give them a try tomorrow, I'll let you know.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master

I just bought an unused 358627DC, casted a few, and found the vents needed opening. I opened the vents/beveled the top for GC shank fillout. I finally got some decent bullets from it, and found the GC shanks are .002" too small! I emailed Lyman 2X, and they said the mould, although unused, is not made anymore, (no s*it!!), and is out of the 1 yr. warrantee date, and they won't fix it. They were very straightforward and uncurtious also. Now I'm buying a .341" reamer to do it myself. I'm buying RCBS from now on. THEY stand behind thier stuff!