Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Remington Model 6 Falling Block

Remington Model 6 Falling Block

I was digging through a pile of what I call my junk guns and came upon an old Remington Model 6 22 cal. that was part of a bunch of guns that I purchased some time ago. (Can't hardly remember the last time I bought a bunch of guns, Thanks Mr. Obama) I started looking at the gun and found that it was in more or less rusty condition but basically sound and discovered that the bore is shiney and has good rifling. The major problem with the gun is the stock. Some time in the past someone cobbled together the rifle and a non-appropriate stock. If I could get an original or even a replica stock for this 22 falling block rifle, it would become a shooter and an interesting part of my collection. I am guessing that the Remington model 6 is not a big collectors piece for all collectors, but I also have a single shot Winchester model 1904. I believe that both rifles were classified as "Boys" rifles which I think are interesting.

Does anyone know if there is anyone out there that could make replica stock for this rifle?
    Last edited by Jethro; 03-03-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: errors

Boolit Master

Thanks

It would not be a huge issue to adapt a similar stock to fit the 6 if you are reasonably handy with working wood.

On the other hand a replacement of this sort would be more accurate to the original pattern.

As it happens I've got both a 6 and the later improved 6. If you're able and interested in producing your own stock I could trace out the outline and draw up the cross sections at three or four points along the front and rear stocks and you could produce your own.

The old improved 6 I've got has a frosty looking bore. But it doesn't stop the old girl from shooting pretty darn groups. The stumbling block in my case is the lack of a proper rear sight. The original had been badly mangled and the spring steel snapped while I was trying to straighten it. I've got a funky looking replacement on it for the time being. But it's VERY funky looking....

The 6 I've got needs a bore liner put in the original barrel. It came with a Ruger 10-22 barrel that was modified to fit on the receiver. But it uses a scope instead of proper irons. Accuracy is so-so with it but then I only shot it the one time. I really need to get it out again. I'll sleeve the original barrel later on when my machine shop is back up and running.

Either way the old single shot is great fun. Grab the gun around the forestock and stuff a bunch of rounds between your fingers to be your "magazine" and pepper a target in find style.

I'll get pictures of mine to add to this thread in the next day or so. What about some of your own? Let's make this into a Remington 6 Owners Club thread!
    Last edited by BCRider; 03-04-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Well, they're not exactly giving them away, but here is the outfit I was looking at for replacing the stock on my #6.

http://macongunstocks.net/remington_...rifle_54.html#

Mine is broken at the wrist and was repaired with a section of chromed brass electrolux vacuum tube. I have been hesitating to replace it because it is quite the piece of work. The bore on mine is rough, I plan to put a new sleeve in it. Since it doesn't have any real collector value anymore I was considering going to .17 MK2 for the new bore.

Rusty

Like you say Rusty, that's got quite the value in character to that repair....

The simple L shape pivoting block action isn't noted for its strength. I'd want to ensure that the recoil impulse energy isn't anything more than what we see in a regular .22LR before I'd go with a conversion to .17hmr. Otherwise you could well end up with a surprise of a cracked L block.

I guess I tend to take it for granted that most folks have at least a passing DIY skillset and could make something like a shoulder stock for these rifles. They aren't that complex.

BCRider, I'd be a little leery of chambering it in 17HMR, that's why I'll just stick to the 17 MK2, or possibly .22lr again. I believe it's pressures are right inline with the 22lr. I thought it might be nice to have a variety, I have a lot of 22's, one of my favorites is a Remington #4 take down with an octagonal barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    Macon Gun stocks?

I would suggest doing a review search on these guys, there's a pretty lengthy post over on another forum with some very interesting issues about them.
    Last edited by oldred; 03-06-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Uh oh, that sounds ominous. I'd like to check it out before I recommend them to someone or buy from them myself.

Rusty, until you noted that there was a difference I'd never realized that they had a shorter and lighter powered .17.

Really though, will it do anything in this sort of gun that a .22LR will not do? Seems like it's going to just make the rifle more expensive to shoot. But then I'm not into hunting at all so for me the .22LR is fine.

No, I think you pretty much hit it on the head. It would be more expensive to shoot, the little mach 2 is supposed to be like a laser up to 30 yds. Great for squirrels, and the light little bullet drops energy fast so if you miss one in a tree by the time it comes down it does not have enough energy to stick in a cardboard box. That, I don't have one yet!

Rusty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Macon Gun stocks?

I would suggest doing a review search on these guys, there's a pretty lengthy post over on another forum with some very interesting issues about them.

Can't say I know anything about the company, sorry. I came across them when I was looking for a C-stock for the Springfield I restored and many of the stocks they had pictured on their site were beautiful. I wound up going with a Boyds stock and am quite happy. I assumed someone would do their own research before actually handing over any money.

Jethro, I have used Remington single shot stocks from gunstocksinc, I purchased a #4 RB forearm from them a few years ago and it only took a few minutes to fit and sand smooth, I don't think you could go wrong with a set from them.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_page...fle-stocks.htm

32ideal

Boolit Master

nhrifle, I Just thought I would caution to check them out because of some questionable situations from what appeared to be several irate customers posting in the same thread, even Macon themselves logged onto the discussion and what followed was something I doubt a 10 year old would fall for. Since this was on another forum I won't get into it too deeply except to say that after listening to both sides, including Macon, I would never do business with them.