RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Another 9 mm question

Boolit Bub

Another 9 mm question

I am attempting to load the Lee 124 gr. .356 TC bullet in 9 mm. I finally figured out the FCD was resizing my bullets down to .355, they are now .358. The question I now have, is what should the OAL of the round be with this bullet?

I have been using a Lyman gauge to check my rounds and they are shorter than what I am reading in the manual. I have found if they do not fit the gauge, they do not fit the barrel.
    Last edited by Rayc384; 03-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just use the barrel as your gauge, then work up the loads from there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gefiltephish View Post
    Just use the barrel as your gauge, then work up the loads from there.
    +1, works every time. I am using 4g Unique with the same boolit.
    Better to be poked in the eye with a wet fish than a sharp stick

Boolit Master
    One really needs to use a taper crimp for the 9MM . The case should be tape crimped down to .376-.378 right at the mouth. With most semi autos the straight section of a cast bullet can not extend more than about 0.020 pas the end of the case's mouth or the bullet will jam against the rifling in the barrel. You can load a dummy round no powder or primer and chamber this round and check to see if the lead is being deformed,shaved due to being seated out to far.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Le Loup Solitaire
    It is strongly advised to use a taper crimp die on 9mm. If not, then when the round is picked up and hits the ramp, there is the probability or at least the possibility that the bullet will be pushed/set back into the case to some degree. This decreases the air space/loading density and in the 9mm this is critical as even the slightest amount can send the pressure way up. Not only does that effect accuracy, but it pounds the gun and eventually leads to other problems that you don't need or want. LLS

Quote Originally Posted by Rayc384 View Post
    The question I now have, is what should the OAL of the round be with this bullet?
    I use 1.075" overall length and they feed flawlessly in all my 9mm guns. I do not use the Lee FCD; I've used a taper crimp for decades and never had a problem.

Boolit Grand Master

My $.02. Forget the term "crimping" when you are reloading semi-auto handgun ammo. Neck tension will be enough to hold a bullet in place during recoil and feeding and a crimp can actually be bad for the finished round. Case buldging and loose bullets can result from taper crimping too much (case buldges; pushing brass down on bullet and buckling the case below the bullet. Loose bullets ; taper crimp swages bullets and brass springs back, lead don't). A taper crimp die is used to straighten out the case mouth for reliable feeding only. Just enough to remove any flare. I've been reloading 45 ACP (17 years) and 9mm (5 years) this way w/no problems.

Start with a few dummy rounds with the OAL of a similar bullet in your reloading manual. Use the "plunk test" to varify chambering, and run some through the gun to determine feeding. If necessary you can shorten the OAL to feed/chamber better, but ferget the "crimp"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    According to my data the case mouth of a 9MM should be a max. of .380 " thus in my opinion taper crimping this are to .376-.376 does not reduce the dia. of the bullet. I have pulled lead and jacketed pullets and they were not reduced in dia.. My experience shows that using an undersized expander with lead bullets is the second worse mistake made and the very worse mistake made is using a roll crimp which ofcourse should never be used on any straight wall semi auto round as the case mouth provided head spacing.

Perhaps we are both saying the same thing and perhaps the term crimping needs to be replaced with removing the flare.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSmokeN View Post
    +1, works every time. I am using 4g Unique with the same boolit.
    I like the 3.8-4.0 of unique with that range of boolits myself. Been seating the LEE 125 RF sized at .358. Because it is a little deeper in the case Ibacked off a bit.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! Another person discovers the "benefits" of the pistol type FCD.

9mm is not as critical as .45 ACP due to the tapered case on 9mm, but IME about 85% of
    the feeding problems with .45 ACP were due to missing or inadequate taper crimp.

Do not skip the taper crimp and do it in a separate die, but NOT the darned FCD!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Then AOL should be the longest that will feed through the magazine reliably, and chamber whey you apply the "thunk" test.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford