Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: using Lee sizing die with turret press

Boolit Mold

using Lee sizing die with turret press

Looking through the lee catalog I noticed that they say their lube and sizing kits were intended to be used with single stage presses only. Does anyone here actually know why that is (because of my work schedule I can't actually call customer service). I have a Lee turret press and it's not a big deal to remove the center spindle to adapt it for single stage use. Is a turret press not strong enough? Even their cheapest single stage press has become stupidly overpriced in todays market (when you can find them). I'd hate to shell out $100 for a press I wouldn't need for any other reason. By the way, since this is my first post I appologize if I've posted in the wrong section.

I use sizing dies on my Lee Classic Turret all the time for 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 45-70 rifle rounds. Now perhaps you are talking about the Lee Sizer die for lead bullets those I use on a single stage but could also do it on a Turret by removing the indexing. I just happen to have the Lee Classic Cast also which is better suited to it.
    Joe

Boolit Bub
    I size .45 200gr. lymans in my classic turret with 0 problems. Go ahead and use it.

Boolit Master

Welcome to Cast Boolits gryphon. You fixed your own problem. Like you said, just take the spindle out when sizing your boolits on your turret press.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the help guys. It's probably going to take me a little while to gather up everything I'm going to need with the availability being what it is right now so that's one less thing I need to keep an eye out for.

Every day, there is a large number of vintage cast iron reloading presses for sale on Ebay from $20 to $40. Names like Pacific, Herters, Lyman, RCBS, Echo, CH and others are to be found there. They still work as well as ever, even if they are not as pretty as new. These make excellent platforms to dedicate for use with press mounted bullet sizing dies, or any other single stage reloading for that matter.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold
    I have not had good luck finding reasonably priced reloading equip of any kind on ebay lately. I have followed many of the presses and they tend to be selling for (usually) way above or at least at their new price. I have sworn not to get caught up in the recent panic buying that is sweeping the nation. Fortunately I have a pretty good stock of reloading supplies. I don't mind so much paying $30 for something that should be $20 but I'm not going to pay $100 for something that sold new for $31. Heck, I've seen reloading manuals listed on Amazon for well over $200 described as being in "acceptable" condition. I have had very good success with some cast bullets I've been using and decided that for the amount I shoot I should probably cast my own.

Boolit Master
    Have patience. Things will stabilize given time.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    Hea, thats a good idea.
    I have a old wore out turrent press I can use, that way I can just leave the dies in there and just index it for a new cal.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Keep your powder dry....blackbike
    :takinWiz:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pacific-relo...item20cfa2cac3

The above is link to a Pacific/Hornaday cast iron press. The bid is $31.00 now and it probably will be sold for $40 or under. Not pretty, but functional. I found a dozen or more presses in this price range on Ebay.

I have bought lots and lots of used reloading equipment off ebay and always get it for 50% or less of new retail price. If items get above the 50% mark, I just move on and wait some more. Great vintage equipment that folks don't know or understand still sells for bargain prices at times.

With the gun panic going on now, reloading equipment on the popular calibers has increased in price on Ebay. Calibers like 223, 45 ACP, 9mm, 7.62 short Russian and the like go for full retail. But calibers that are not in the "black gun" or "tactical" trend are still available and reasonable in price.

Like all things, you have to know what you want, know what you want to pay and stick to your plan. Impluse buying and auction fever are behind the really stupid Ebay prices you see at times.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a spare turret with .357", .358", .432", and .451" Lee sizer dies on it...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I use sizing dies on my Lee Classic Turret all the time for 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 45-70 rifle rounds. Now perhaps you are talking about the Lee Sizer die for lead bullets those I use on a single stage but could also do it on a Turret by removing the indexing. I just happen to have the Lee Classic Cast also which is better suited to it.
    I full length size rifle brass on my Lee Classic Turret Press up to 30-06 cal with no problems using Lee dies. I never use the indexing rod for rifle calibres.
    I do however, use a single stage press for sizing and gas checking cast bullets out of preference, although I am sure the turret press would be fine.
    ukrifleman.