MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Noob with-Out a scale (gone missing Agh..)

Boolit Buddy

Exclamation Noob with-Out a scale (gone missing Agh..)

Hi all
    This my be a dumb question But* I load shotshells and am new to brass & Cast Boolits and this would be "our first load in brass" so to us it needs to have an answer.....
    I was lookin to buy a 2nd scale as I have misplaced a lyman scale i have for shotshells,
    so wanted to buy a cheap (inexpencive) to use untill my balance scale turns up
    Found this one on E-Burn and wanted to run it past you all

AWS 100g Jewelry Gold Reload Grain Gun Powder Digital Scale 0.01g FREE Weight $17.99 / free ship..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWS-100g-Jew...30878894317%26

it says its good down to 0.2gn
    will that work close nuff for ( IMR, x-700) powder checks?

we are thinkin a 200gr boolit over 4.3gn (Max), X-700 in a 44Mag,
    just .02 part has me askin as it might come to 4.5gn?
    might i think about 4.0gr for starters?

Please advise so we dont have a bad day

Thanks
    Patrick
    Last edited by sparkz; 03-02-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added scale tol.
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Boolit Buddy
    i never used or worked with them be careful some one here will know about them.A lee is ok for reloading and it is not to high.
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Boolit Master
    That looks like an exact copy of the Hornady gs-1500. I have one for a backup. It works, but it tends to drift, and can be several tenths of a grain off after 5 minutes. It should work, but check it often with a known test weight. I like my old beam scale best.

I don't have that brand, but have one looks the same that I got from Midway for 19.95 or something. I check it with my RCBS 505 or my 48 year old Redding and it is always on the mark. It is quick and easy to set up powder drop on my progressive presses loading handgun loads. I guess I need one of the expensive digitals, but have used beam scales since 1959 and am still fat and happy without a high dollar digital. I also have a set of reference weights that a retired watch repairman/jewler gave me. Also have several quarts of watch cleaning fluid that he donated and it is really good stuff. I like free stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Personally, I wouldn't use a cheap digital scale. Mebbe they are better now, but everything I've read about them says "el cheapo". Reports say they don't hold zero, they'll wander between weighings. Also it's said they are affected by flourescent lighting. Some are battery powered and eat batteries quickly and/or are very power sensitive. Auto shut-off is a pain too. I have a Jennings Mack 20 and it's a pretty good scale for weighing bullets, etc. but for powder, the scale should be "tared" after the pan is removed/replaced, and often needs "resetting zero", a process that takes about 7 minutes.

If you want inexpensive and accurate a Lee Safety Scale is a good choice, but you have to be able to learn to read the vernier poise (Not any trouble for me, but some fellers can't/won't learn how). Otherwise look for used beam scales on ebay, pawnshops, etc...

My favorite cartridge is the .44 Magnum and I don't load anything lighter than 240 gr. lead, and I stick with the old, tried and true powders (Unique, Universal, 2400, Blue Dot, AA#9, and for magnum loads only W296), but check with your reloading manual for 700X load data..
    Last edited by mdi; 03-02-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

I bought a cheap digital scale on sale at Cabelas one time, I use it as a check for my beam scale (keeps 'stupid' from happening when setting the weights) but that's it. It drifts zero and its low-limit isn't calibrated for the pan weight, so it goes fritzy after the pan is removed and defaults to grams. So you have to toggle through all six systems again to set it to the grains scale, then zero it. Every time. Mostly a waste of $20. The Lee beam scale is very finicky and tough to read, but accurate and cheap.

Gear

Your not talking about just using it to weight bullets but POWDER if you want to wonder and flinch every pull of the trigger buy the cheap one, make sure your medical ins. pays for protesis and get a real good set of shooting glasses.

Boolit Buddy
    Humm, I am hopein to find my Ballance beam Lyman, My son and I have joint tore apart and half a day deep so far, but I had hoped to buy a cheap 2nd scale to use and check powder volume to wight drops, I do own a scale its misplaced tho so really dont want to buy a 2nd beam, But didnt know the new electronic scales where such a bear to use I had thought they where easyer, butI guess il have to shovle some bigger bux to posb a better electronic maybe, is there any electronics that you all might recomend? ones that are not like hunderds ? I just hate to re-buy what i have (Someplace) lol,, Damn don't look to be a cheap way out of this jamb, my lyman is more of a powder scale and think it might die early-er if i start to load it with boolits-o-lead,, maybe i need to rename post as got a scale to sell lol, at everyday low cry-baby price hahahaha

Patrick

Boolit Grand Master

Humm, I'm sitting in my loading room and looking at three (3) balance beam scales and nary an electronic in sight. Pick up another beam scale from eBay or Craig's list and, when you find your Lyman, you can check one against the other. Or weigh powder and bullets at the same time.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Basically all the good electronic ones(that hold zero, easy to calibrate, non sensitive, reliable for repeated powder charges) are all above the hundred Washingtons stash. But then you have something the is good for weighing stuff other than powder also( less than 1.5 lbs at least).
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Bub

I bought that scale from Amazon and it was a nightmare. It would wander quite a bit, and if I let a powder charge sit on the scale while I grabbed a case or something It would loose it's zero. This scale can be used, but you will spend more time weighing and reweighing than you can stand. You can see on the specifications in your link that accuracy of the scale is plus or minus .2 grains, that is a bit optimistic from the scale that I had.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm sure it'll be worth the $18 ($6 shipping, $8 profit for seller and $4 seller's cost for the scale) and if that's all your eyes, fingers and firearms are worth, it will be a GREAT deal for you. My guess is it'll be a much better deal for the seller. Personally I'd spend a few bucks more and get a beam scale from ANY of the reputable reloading manufacturers (Lyman, Lee, RCBS, Redding, et al). You'll get something designed specifically for reloading, long lasting, reliable, and accurate to .1 gr. JMHO based on 50+ years of reloading.
    yooper

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Here's the same scale for $10.55 ...
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh...=A87K2KYXLCKI8

Here's a scale you can trust with accurate weights of powder ... http://dx.com/p/1-7-lcd-high-precisi...4-x-aaa-101011

I have one and it is`dead nuts to the beam balance scale
    Regards
    John

I have both digital and beams scales. Simply put, use a quality beam scale for powder weights. They are reliable and durable. They don't drift. When considering low powder charges of 3 or 4 grains a few tenths with the digital scales can make a significant difference. Constantly re-zeroing doesn't save any time. Go low tech. You'll be happier.

Boolit Grand Master

Even if you buy another beam scale there's nuttin wrong with having two (when you find your Lyman, and you know you won't find it until you quit looking for it). I've got 3 bean scales, I got a deal in an older design RCBS that I couldn't pass up...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

You do realize that the ONLY way your ever going to find the other scale is to buy another one. Facts of life, might as well get it over with.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Master
    1-5/8 oz. shot = 710.938 grains

1-1/2 oz. shot = 656.25 grains

1-3/8 oz. shot = 601.563 grains

1-1/4 oz. shot = 546.875 grains

1-1/8 oz. shot = 492.188 grains

7/8 oz. shot = 382.813 grains

3/4 oz. shot = 328.125 grains

11/16 oz. shot = 300.781 grains

1/2 oz. shot = 218.75 grains

24-Gram International Target Load = 370.3776 grains

28-Gram International Target Load = 432.1072 grains

Make sure whatever scale you choose allows you to weigh whatever shot weight. I always check my shot bushings and the weights it drops. Changing shot size influences weights.

Just a thought, the Lee scale has a 100 grain capacity - not enough to check shot weights. They sell it as a powder scale.

Take care

r1kk1

If you order an expensive scale, you'll probably find the old one before the credit card gets debited.

Boolit Buddy
    yeha that's how it works for me,, I buy a new one and trip over old one,,, hahaha

but then again its nice to have a 2nd to double check work as it comes up <-- Thats me trying to justfie..
    just dough is tight and comes at a bad time and so much to buy to get started in brass for us <-- thats me cryin..
    lol but if something Dont Show soon real soon,, lol Il have to Bite da Boolit
    and pop.. for a scale

Patrick