Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever Gun Economics

Lever Gun Economics

I really don't get gun prices sometimes.

Here is a Winchester Cowboy Commemorative 30-30

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/111485...morative-30-30

For one it's a real Winchester not a Marlin, or some Italian copy.

It's unfired, new in the box.

It was made in 1970, not a pre-63 but still, it must have some antique value there.

It's a special edition not just a stock one.

It should be popular with all the Cowboy shooting interest going on.

This one has the box and all the paper work.

Then it sells for $556.00 when stock Winchesters and Marlins are going for $1,000.00. Heck I saw a Rossie going over $600. Old Chinese SKS beaters are going for more than this rifle solf for.

What's the deal? I just don't get it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cowboy Rifle.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	397.4 KB 
ID:	62844
    Last edited by AmishWarlord; 03-02-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    I am not sure, but to me that rifle seems about as cowboy as salsa made in NYC.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Buddy
    Yea I can see several glaring reasons I would pass on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishWarlord View Post
    I really don't get gun prices sometimes.

Here is a Winchester Cowboy Commemorative 30-30

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/111485...morative-30-30

For one it's a real Winchester not a Marlin, or some Italian copy.

It was made in 1970, not a pre-63 but still must have some antique value there.

It's a special edition not just a stock one.

It should be popular with all the Cowboy shooting interest going on.

This one has the box and all the paper work.

Then it sells for $556.00 when stock Winchesters and Marlins are going for $1,000.00. Heck I saw a Rossie going over $600.

What's the deal? Why wasn't there much interest in this rifle?
    1. Not sure what you mean by, "For one it's a real Winchester not a Marlin, or some Italian copy."

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have a Marlin .30-30 over the Winchester every day of the week, and it's insulting to the Marlin 336 to be compared to some "Italian Copy".

2. That rifle doesn't have much going for it. It appears as though Winchester was trying to make a buck and appeal to the dimestore cowboy phenomena with all the shiny stuff on it, and then a black saddlering.

3. The scrollwork lariat on the right side of the receiver looks more like an onion with horns to me, with the stars on the spurs being the eyes. More like an afterthought that was added in the final production stage.

4. Then everything done up in chrome, that's just wrong. If they wanted to make it more appealing to collectors, they should have used brass wherever they could, and gave a 'true' bluejob on it that gives it a nice depth to the metal on everything else.

5. I've never been a fan of medallions on stocks. But, had they used an actual silver coin, even if it was a reproduction coin, of the era, it would have made the rifle come together a bit better.

In conclusion, this looks like something that the boss's kid threw together with extra pieces that were laying around, and someone in marketing/development, trying to kiss the boss's rear end, thought it would be a good idea to make.

Just my thoughts, worth what you paid.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master
    Most of the Winchester collector editions are worth less than the standard production rifles especially if they are not new in the box. I like to have my firearms in original condition, mainly for the historical value. The collector editions just don't do it for me.

Boolit Buddy
    It's a comemerative, vs a shooter, and in the comemerative arena the value comes from not being handled or shot, it's just kind of in the middle where it's been handled enough to not be collectable anymore, but not enough that a redneck like myself would feel ok tossing it in for opening day, besides it's really too shiny for opening day

Boolit Grand Master
    Why?

I prefer Marlin over Winchester for one.

I want a shooter, not some pimped out pile of bling.

I am not a collector.

If it was such a great deal why didn't YOU buy it?

Guns, like anything else, are worth whatever someone Is willing to pay for them. Collectors often forget that. Buy a "collectible" and suddenly you feel it is worth the price some book says it is worth. Problem is that "the book" isn't going to buy it, a person is and that person may not care what the book says.

Collections are not always worth what it would cost to replace all the items in them.

Welcome to capitalism.

Boolit Master
    I am a collector I suppose , but a collector of actual OLD guns hence the term Pre 64 .

I am also a student of Marlin leveractions . By no means would I regard them as below a Winchester . In fact I have found Marlin's to be a bit more accurate in the overall scheme of things compared to a Winchester .

Now different people may like different guns for different reasons . However the Winchester Commemratives were never one of the ones I found appealing to my eye .

Since you seem to think Marlin's not to be in the same class with Winchesters , Marlin made their first lever action in 1881 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

LOL, you guys make that rifle sound as if it looks like this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nudie-mobile.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	62846

Boolit Master
    LOL, you guys make that rifle sound as if it looks like this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nudie-mobile.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	62846
    It does .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I think I have found the biggest reason for the low price.

Although only made for one year in 1970, 28,904 rifles made in that year!

They sold new for $75 so I guess $500 is a reasonable increase in price.

"Welcome to capitalism."

Well I was tempted to buy one of those John Wayne carbines in 45 Colt but looks like I'd do better just getting the stock model. I guess I'll leave these Collector Series rifles to the wanna-be collectors.

Name:	Win Guns.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	62848

Boolit Man
    Well I was tempted to buy one of those John Wayne carbines in 45 Colt but looks like I'd do better just getting the stock model. I guess I'll leave these Collector Series rifles to the wanna-be collectors.

Name:	Win Guns.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	62848
    Dang the Marlin owners got a little fussy! I like the looks of those 45's there Amish!
    I'd shoot any of those you have there!

Boolit Grand Master
    Gaudy guns are not my style. I like a nice stock, well finished metal, and a nice, deep blue.

Brass pared frames, stock medallions, and that stuff is ugly in my opinion.

That car actually is better looking than those guns.

We Marlin owners aren't fussy, we just want a gun that works. Bling and that garbage belongs on a pimp, not a gun.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Since you seem to think Marlin's not to be in the same class with Winchesters , Marlin made their first lever action in 1881 .
    So what's the point of when Marlin started making lever actions? Winchester started in 1866 so it really is a weird point to bring up. Fact of the matter is they both make superb Lever guns. I'm personally partial to the Winchester, but that's just me. I'd happily shoot Marlins too. Comparing them as the op did isn't quite right in my opinion as they are both good leverguns and both have models that will bring a pretty penny to the table.

To the OP, the reasoning is the rifle is only worth what people are willing to pay for it, most people don't buy gawdy guns to shoot them.

Regards,

JP99

Boolit Master
    now that's cool car, i'd drive wheels off that baby!

Boolit Master

Some people can't see the forest for the trees.
    At that price my first thoughts would be, "I wonder how she shoots!"
    There's a hundred ways to remove the "Bling". (****, I hate that word.)
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

There are shootable rifles and Winchester commeratives. I have known a few that have shot and used the commeratives because of the profile. One liked a 30-30 with a longer barrel and the Chief Crazy Horse in 38-55 has been shot by some. Commerative collectors seem to want unfired in the box rifles. Some were made in the time in between when Winchester used stamped parts. Winchester created a collectors market for rifles never meant to be shot. In that vein I do not know why a unfired commerative has a value. Me i would take a Crazy Horse and remove the blankety tacks and shoot the dickens out of it.

DP

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Nothing wrong with preferring Marlin Leverguns..BUT, when it comes to value in the marketplace,it's a different story...@ a local G.S. last w'kend I bought a 95% 336-A ( 1950's issue) in 35 Rem.for $300,and the guy had to walk through at least half the show tables to get to us..I'll grant that I've seem similar go for $650 ftt on the blessed internet,but who can even remember the last time they saw a 95% Winchester 64 or 55 sell for that,even in the commonest caliber(30/30).. if you prefer the 64,55,or 94 full Mag.rifles, you will likely be $ ahead to buy the right comm.rifle,and rework to your own taste,then chasing an orig. (Esp.if you are after 25/35. , 32 Sp. ,38/55,and can find one on the used market....ftw,Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

I was with you until I looked at the pic. Lever guns for me should be plain. Wood and blue and that's it. All those commemorative models look more Red Ryder'ish rather than Winchester or Marlin. I prefer Winchester. For whatever reason they shoulder better for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast