RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Longshot

Boolit Buddy

Longshot

I picked up a pound of this today. I wanna try it in my 475 Linebaughs and 500 JRH. Anybody have any experience with it? Good or bad!

Toby
    Life begins at 45 caliber!

Boolit Master
    Yes I have had experiance with Longshot that was bad for me but perhaps not pertinent to your application.
    I can say conclusively through repeated testing that when used in a small capacity case small bore longshot can shift positions on the burn rate chart to become significently faster burning.
    As I understand Longshot was developed for long range shot shell loading and may work well for that but that was not my application for it.
    In your case loading in much larger bore than I did it may well work as intended since you are using it far closer to its intended bore ratio than I did.
    I would however suggest that you aproach top end loads with extreme caution and watch closely for pressure spikes.

Boolit Master

I have and do use it in 45 a c p--40 S&W---and the 44 mag.It delivers good velocity with lower pressures. I respect Bull shops opinions, but for me they have been unfounded, I like it.
    However I don't use it in Min. loads.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

I duplicated results in Jerrick Linde's loads in this article. It works well at the levels he's using it.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=41

Boolit Master
    As I said my results were repeatable in my application which I also said was small capacity case small bore. To be more specific in the 22 Cooper Centerfire Magnum.
    In my repeated testing in this application Longshot powder moves from its listing on burn rate charts from a bure rate in the area between H-110 and H Littlegun. In this application it more closely matched the performance of Blue Dot and was prone to pressure spikes.
    In larger bores with greater expansion ratio it may not show this tendency since it was developed for the expansion ratio of a 12 gauge.
    You asked and I offered my results. They may not be applicable to your application but I think it prudent to at least be aware of them. You or anyone are free to disreguard my results but I felt I should offer them anhyway.
    I still have several pounds of it and I will use it but not in the application as described as it was for me most unpredictable in that application.

Neat powder. It is a high energy powder w/ burn retardant, so it packs a lot of punch without needing lots of powder to do so. It tends to be really loud. Seems to be at its best in small capacity cases, but it is probably pretty economical in the larger cases. Seems to meter ok as well. Report back on how it does, as it is pretty useful for pistol calibers, if it worked well in Mag cases it could replace an awful lot of powders.

Boolit Master
    I've played with it a little bit in .40S&W and WOW I was getting lower end 10mm ballistics.
    I just loaded some test ammo for my .44mag and .480R. I'll try and remember to report back when I'm done.

Banned

After experiences with Lil Gun and 4227's I am loath to fool around with powders I don't know.
    I am comfortable with 231, Unique, 2400 and 296 but there are too many new powders today made for applications out of the handgun realm.
    Being a big chicken after over 60 years of loading my own has kept me safe.
    The 4227's drove me nuts in the .44 with pressures and velocities climbing out of sight with a hot gun but in the .357 max I could get the gun blazing hot with supreme accuracy. It does not cross from one caliber to another.
    I just can't assume things by myself.

Haven't done much experimenting with it, but it's pretty interesting stuff. I ended up with a pound after it didn't quite deliver on a 5.7 project, so I ran some with my .40 and found the same thing as Lefty--performances in the lower 10mm area. LOTS of flash though. Just for kicks I also developed a load off-book for .32ACP with it that does really well. Drives that little 80gr. boolit out of my Ruby like a turpentined cat with no pressure signs what-so-ever.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

There is an article in the latest "Handloader" by Brian Pearce on 23,000 psi loads for the .45 Colt with the 270 grain RCBS SWC. The powder that he said gave the most consistent velocities regardless of position in the case was Longshot. He usually uses mostly newer powders in his articles. I mostly use older ones, but I was favorably impressed by his comments on Longshot. I will be interested to hear other members experience.

Boolit Master

10 grains longshot in my 44 mag. with a #429421 250 grain S W C is very accurate
    with no pressure indicators, easy extraction.
    I'm guessing about 1100 F P S hits harder than 9.3 of unique, recoil is a little less than a standard factory loaded 240 grain jacketed bullet. I have shot at least 500 rounds with this load.
    A small step down with the same bullet is 9.3 then 8.5 of unique. The best target load I have is 6 grains of tite group same bullet, can cover 6 shots with a nickle at 20 yards, and it's repeatable
    I posted the targets once and it's not a fluke, like I said it's repeatable.
    The 10 longshot load is next in accuracy, I have, and my friend has, broke clay birds over and over at 129 yards with a range finder. Open fiber optic sights.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    10 grains longshot in my 44 mag. with a #429421 250 grain S W C is very accurate
    with no pressure indicators, easy extraction.
    I'm guessing about 1100 F P S hits harder than 9.3 of unique, recoil is a little less than a standard factory loaded 240 grain jacketed bullet. I have shot at least 500 rounds with this load.
    A small step down with the same bullet is 9.3 then 8.5 of unique. The best target load I have is 6 grains of tite group same bullet, can cover 6 shots with a nickle at 20 yards, and it's repeatable
    I posted the targets once and it's not a fluke, like I said it's repeatable.
    The 10 longshot load is next in accuracy, I have, and my friend has, broke clay birds over and over at 129 yards with a range finder. Open fiber optic sights.
    Interesting and what we need. New powders are a mystery. Good post.