WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rerun of MiHec 9mm 125 gr. four cavity HP or four cavity solid

Got mine in the mail yesterday.. Yet another work of art from Miha!

Now I've just got to clean it and heat up the pot!
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck

Boolit Master
    Sweet. Maybe mine was in the same lot as yours.... If so, should be tomorrow of the next day.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

4 weeks since I paid. No mold and I don't know if its even been shipped.

No mold yet, but got a pm from Mihec letting me know of some confusion with my mold shipping out. He is sending one with a set of handles & included tracking. Hope to see it within a couple more weeks.

Jdgabbard did yours arrive yet?

Boolit Master
    Email from him today... The mold was returned to him because of the address mix-up. He is reshipping.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Good glad you're not sol with the address mix up. I doubt PayPal would take care of you. Guess the wonder turns back into excitement for the two of us. I will be smiling from ear to ear when that golden beauty finally arrives.

My golden beauty arrived today. I will lose sleep tonight just to try it out. To compare this to my lee molds is a laughing matter, this is clearly the best mold I've ever owned. Thanks Miha

Boolit Master
    After being sent back to Mihec and him resending it to me, I finally received my mold today as well. All looks good. One thing I noticed is those pins sure are a tight fit! Once they wear in I bet this mold will be a good one!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I have this mould from a previous GB. It is an execelent mould.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    So does anyone have loads worked up that they'd be willing to share that use red dot or unique for the 9mm/38spl?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    So does anyone have loads worked up that they'd be willing to share that use red dot or unique for the 9mm/38spl?
    Not a 9mm or 38, but in .357 cases:

3.2 grains Red Dot in my Rossi 92 produces 830 fps and good accuracy at 100 yards. 6 grains Unique in the same gun didn't do so well. Velocity was at 1,235.

Same 3.2 Red Dot load didn't perform well in my 686 revolver. Velocity under 600 fps. But the 6 grain Unique load did under 6" at 50 yards.

5.2 grs Unique in the 686 was good for 730 fps and under 4.5 inches at 50 yards.

Same load in Rossi did 1,035 fps and around 4" at 100 yards.

All loads were tested with air-cooled 50/50 ww/soft alloy.

Boolit Master
    Nice. Sounds like that longer barrel in the Rossi makes all the difference in the world velocity wise. Need to get some of these cast up, and aging. I think I can get them to swell enough to size to .358, as I usually end up with mine dropping .001-.002 over mold size.

Boolit Bub
    I'm using 5 grains of Unique in the 9mm. 1050 fps out of a 3.5 in barrel. My starting load was 4.5 grains

Boolit Bub
    So my mold came in last week and not all of the hollow point pins fit in the holes. Also the mold will not close all of the way with the pins in that do fit. What am I doing wrong or is some machining off on the mold?

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem. I gently tapped the pins in with a rubber mallet, lubed them, and just started working them in and out, along with opening and closing the mold. I think it's just tight tolerances.

closed perfect without pins in. With pins installed it wouldn't close properly, & ya could see a gap in the Cavs when closed. I hand fitted the pins & reblued them to reduce break in time.

Boolit Master
    Loosen up the pin screws a little, this'll allow the blocks to close a little more readily when new. Once you've cast some with the mould, things will wear-in & you can snug the screws up a bit. (keep a minute bit of sprue plate lube on the screws as well)

This advise was garnered here on the forum & worked for me on this same mould. (This was my first Cramer type HP mould from Mihec)

I gotta say, I love Mihas' tolerances!
    Last edited by PbHurler; 07-03-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Bob

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all of the help guys. I knew it was tight tolerances and just needed some minor tweaking to make work. I will try the suggestions when I get home and let you know how it works

Boolit Bub
    I got my hp pins in and they slide much better. All I had to do was loosen the pin screws and work them back and forth. The mold is still a bit hard to close but I think it will come around with some use. Got the pot heating up!!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

The moulds are tight and require break in. I broke in a new 452-200 4-cavity a couple days ago. I use a wood hammer handle to lightly rap the mould handles with to close it until it starts to close easily by itself.

Lightly tap the HP pins screws until they are fully extended when you open the mould. Do this until you can push them open with a gloved thumb.

I cast a full 20 lb pot with the new mould the other day and the mould was just starting to break in. Be sure to use sprue plate lube often on the pin screws, sprue plate and alignment pins during break in. I use a Q-Tip with a little Sprue Plate lube on it. It does not take much, just do it often. The mould was just starting to drop boolits on opening without having to push the screw pins with my thumb at the end of my casting session.
    Last edited by Down South; 07-04-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast