Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Reel under $50.00

Boolit Man

Best Reel under $50.00

Good Morning;

I'm looking at getting a new rod and reel to do some fishing this spring and summer (mainly panfish; I'm fishing to eat, not to find a trophy) and I'm looking for suggestions on a good reel under $50. I'm planning on paring it with a 5' one-piece Ugly Stick with an ultra-light action to fish some of the local rivers and lakes. I'll be using any of the following as bait: maggots, wax worms, night crawlers, jig heads with "mr. twister" tails, and things like that.

Thanks,
    D

*disclaimer* I've been fishing all my life, and even got fishing merit badge, but I'm not really a technical fisherman. Aside from "big gear for big fish, small gear for small fish", I'm not really that knowledgeable about the finer points of gear.
    Never trust a skinny chef, a fat personal trainer, or anyone who can't stand beer.

Blessed are those who are cracked, for they shall let in the light.

Boolit Grand Master

Zebco 33 is hard to beat. They work well and last a long time. If you want lightweight gear the little micro-11 is neat...like a mini-33.
    Gary

Boolit Man
    Good Afternoon;

Actually, my wife has a micro-11 that I got her a few years ago, and she really likes it. We both grew up using Zebco reels or rod and reel combos. I drifted toward the open reel spinning reels and kind of got stuck there. I suppose I should have mentioned that.

D
    Never trust a skinny chef, a fat personal trainer, or anyone who can't stand beer.

Blessed are those who are cracked, for they shall let in the light.

For pan fish I'd go with a fly rod - you can use live bait & bobbers with them. They work great with crickets & hoppers.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    If you rod is going to be set up for a spinning reel, I would suggest a Zebco UL4. Pretty hard to beat for panfishing.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on a zebco 33
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I have a Quantam XL00S3 on a Eagle claw 5' UL rod, and i love it. it's my go to set up for creek, and river fishing. bream's and small mouth's Yum!!

Boolit Master
    Anybody got a picture of a Zebco 33-I want to see what I'm missing! Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    You might want to look into a Okuma reel. They are nice and smooth. I have used several from light to medium and like them very much.

Boolit Master

Go to the rack at wally world or Academy or locally owned store.

Find a Shimano or Diawa for about 1/2 of what you stated you want to spend and it will fulfill your needs.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned
    wolfe28,

Imvho, it's really hard to beat one of the original Ambassedeurs by Garcia as an all-round casting reel. = I watch ebay.com for new or GREAT used ones & have paid as little 15.oo delivered for the old-school ones.

Fwiw, I have several 5500 & 5000 Garcias & they are all on 6.5-7 foot popping rods. - Good for catfish, sea trout & lots of other fish of various sizes.
    (I got a 22 pound Striper on one of mine off a party-boat on the Chesapeake Bay, which I caught on a LIVE Norfolk Spot, fished under a cork.)

just my OPINION, tex

I'm a fan of the Johnson Century reels. You can still find new in the box or excellent condition ones on ebay. You can still get parts for them should you or say your brother in law step on one. The last few batches were made in China and aren't as nice when compared to the USA models. I have both and the sideplates on the china version are soft so I personally wouldn't buy another one. I've got my Grandfathers that my mom used as a kid (she turns 77 this year) and my wife and kids all have them. So far none have had any issue except the one that was stepped on. New crank side plate and it was back in business.

Best Reel under $50.00

Okuma reels are hard to beat for the money. I have beat the **** out of my okuma avenger( white one) river fishing and it keeps going. Phlueger president reels are very good also. Actually between 30-50 bucks the you can't go wrong with any reel. The technological advancement with fishing reels is out of this world. I know if you go bass pro, cabelas, or gander mountain they have them all out to play around with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    wolfe28,

Fwiw, there are about a half-dozen Garcia 5000C casting reels (in good shape) that are for sale right now on ebay.com for about 25 bucks.

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Gander Mtn Vortex spinning reel.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...hbIaAvWe8P8HAQ

I think I paid $20.00 on sale for each. I also liked their Vortez rods, again $20.00 on sale.

*Keep in mind, I drown more worms than catch fish.....

I first learned about open face spinning reels when Grandpa brought 3 of the first Mitchell's back from Germany back in the 50's.

I have not had wonderful success with the zebco's I have tried.

Shakespear has been good for me, as has Diawa.

Go to your local pawn shop and ask about used spinning reels.

Me I prefer rear drag, I like to be able to adjust drag on the fly while I am fighting a fish without getting my hand caught in the works or burned by a fish screaming drag.

Most reels are a size bigger than they need to be. Look for medium size compact, light weight.
    Ugly stick rods are great, but I like mine in the 6.5 to 7 foot size.

Braided spectra/kevlar lines in the 10-20 lb range work very very well on spinning gear.

If the water is clear a 2-5 foot mono or flourocarbon leader is all you need.

The stuff is slick, good ones float on top of the water. Braid does not take a "set" and throw endless coils like mono does. It also has very low stretch for excellent feel.

20 lb braid is commonly the same diameter as 6 lb mono, so no problem getting a 100 yard spool on most reels.

Pay attention when spooling line onto your reel.

Put the reels anti reverse on, notice which way the reel turns. Line has to come off the spool over the end, take several smooth curls and lay down flat on the reel without adding twist. Do it right and open face is simple and easy to cast. Do it wrong and you have a mess.

Good luck fishing!

Boolit Buddy
    I agree open face spinning is the way to go, you will catch more fish on light line & open face spinning reels handle light line best. Also agree Okuma seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Boolit Master
    A UL Diawa reel paired with a Bass Pro shop one piece Microlite rod is what I've been using for 20 or so years. I tried a Mitchell 308 but kept breaking bail springs. 4 lb. Berkeley trilene line or 6 lb. Fireline does wonders....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Best deal for 50 dollars is the Pflueger President spinning real, in my opinion. I've used one, although I dont own one currently. Very smooth.

Boolit Master
    +1 Zebco, if you can find it (I found mine at a walmart) there was a special classic edition a few years ago with steel internals. Sometimes you can still spot one hanging out on a walmart rack if you are lucky. If not, the standard zebco will do. With an ugly stick you are pretty well set to fill a fish fryer.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast