WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Nipple question: straight or cone shape?

Nipple question: straight or cone shape?

I'm sure this has been asked many times but.... should a nipple be slightly cone shaped or should the diameter be consistant along it's total lenght? Is the cap supposed to split for easy removal, is that why the are splined, or ribbed or are they supposed to stay on to prevent blowback or chain fire?

In all the years I've been shooting BP I never really gave it any thought.
    Oh Boy, the things old guys think about!!!
    Last edited by moptop; 02-28-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    Take care, Moptop

Boolit Mold
    I'm not sure if you are talking about just revolvers or all percussion guns, but in my limited experience (2 revolvers and 2 rifles) they have all had slightly cone shaped nipples. I would assume they are like that so it is easier to put them on even when they get a bit dirty. And I have always had them split (at-least i don't remember one that didn't, but haven't paid much attention to it). I also think hammer holds them down somewhat to prevent the blowback/chain fire, but probably no where near stopping it all. Also, you are going to have a hard time getting the chain fire to happen via the percussion cap nipple hole as you have to get the spark to go down it. Most of the chain fires are going to come from not having the chambers of the revolver having powder on the outside of the ball/patch/wad with a way for a spark to get around them.

I don't see my response as being hugely helpful based on my limited experience, but it is a start.
    BPT

BPT, well now that you mention it, I've never paid much attention to revolver & rifle nipples being slightly different. You made me go and look though and I'll darned if they're are. You are mostlikely correct about the hammer holding them down on the nipple. Never thought of that either.

I know these are some goofy questions to be asking after I've been shooting for so long, but you know what the commerical said...."a mind is a terrible thang"!
    Opps, I guess now I'm really showing my age!
    Take care, Moptop

Boolit Mold
    Nothing wrong with a goofy question on something you are trying to understand. The only reason I have noticed a difference is because I purchased a percussion rifle a few months after my friend Nick purchased 2 1851 confederate navy pistols. We had been having fun shooting them when I got the rifle, and as you know with black powder, you clean the guns well after each trip out. But after having done it a few times, cleaning is 1/2 of the fun of shooting it.
    BPT

Boolit Master
    My take on the reason for the cone shape and pleated skirts on the caps is to allow for two things. First, the caps need to wedge on to the nipple so they will stay in place while carrying the gun, don't want them to shake off. Secondly, to do that, its easy with a cone shape to get the correct amount of press fit. If the nipples were straight sided, they would have to be of a very exact diameter, and all the caps for the gun would have to be of a corresponding exact diameter to have a press fit on the nipples. Manufacturing exact diameters are hard and costly. The cone solves that. The cone doesn't have to be exact. Its very forgiving and allows for a range of cap diameters. Third, after some firing the nipples mushroom, and with a cone, you can have some room for mushrooming the top and still get a cap on it.

Not official word, just my thoughts.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I've been restoring antique guns for years. the old nipples were all cone shaped. wide at the top, narrow in the middle and wide at the bottom...and they work better than the 'easier to manufacture' modern one size hole throughout nipples. My new/old Springfield musket 1863, with the original nipple is the same...and shoots every time....no misfires... Ken