Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixed power scopes

On Heaven's Range

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    I think the Weaver K-4 is a beautiful thing
    Absolute, 100% agreement here.

Other 'beauties" include the K3, K2.5 and K1.5.... all of which I have, and have used with perfect satisfaction in the field.... down to thirty (or more) degrees below zero, and on HEAVY-recoiling rifles like the .416 Rigby and .404 Jeffery.

These sights are often available "used" on websites, and prices are generally reasonable.
    Last edited by BruceB; 04-05-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I own no variablepower scopes, but admit that I am a dinosaur!

Of the US scopes the fixed power Leupold M8s are the best, rugged and well sealed, as good as the old Lyman All-Americans when they were made by B&L.

The fixed Weaver Classics are a good buy and the current Japanese ones they sell have better mechanics than the old El Paso tubes.

For my serious hunting rifles I have Zeiss Diatal-C in 4x32, 6x42 and 8x56. The latter two used only for open country shooting beyond 200 yards or metres.

Years ago I used Kollomorgen Bearcubs, Unertl Hawks, etc, but they were not as wel sealed as modern scopes.

Today the Leupold M8 is your best bang for the buck.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-08-2013 at 09:59 PM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The largest variable power scope I have is the one I used to use for benchrest . It's a six to eighteen power Redfield made a long time ago that worked pretty good . I have a few other variable but they for the most part stay set between four and six power . I got an old Weaver three power that came with a rimfire rifle and really enjoy that . The bulk of fixed power scopes I like is undoubtedly the four power but there is one lonely Kahles six power that gets some use .

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stanley; 10-20-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling

4X w/ a German #1 post! The Best! Also like the Weavers with the razor wire crosshair, w/or w/o the dot. Even my 3x9's are zeroed and set on 5x max for most all of my hunting...

I have three scoped rifles

Model 700: 10x fixed Mil dot, for when I wish to reach out & touch
    MN 91/30 PU: 3.5x fixed, Off a Soviet SVT, a simple post, for up close & personal
    Model 60 Marlin: 4x fixed mil dot

Git no use for variable, besides the mil dot systems only work at 10x any way
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I bought last year two Tasco 3 x 9 x 50mm Riflescopes for use on my Rem 700....30-06 & 7mm Rem mag...I only shoot cast bullets loads in both. Both hold zero well and that 50mm objective lens sure make things bright and clear... It is 56% brighter than with a 32mm scope and 25% brighter than a 40mm. I'd imagine someone will say that over time they will fail...so far so good. Perhaps they will not stand up to a lot of factory level loads...but I have no plans on using any.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Thanks for the correction. I looked at my scopes, and, of course, you are correct. I regret the error.

Senior moment. I corrected my earlier lost.

Thank you!

Boolit Master
    I live in sagebrush country and primarily hunt coyotes.

I rely on 6X the vast majority of the time.

I trust fixed powers more.

I own quite a few variables yet they spend 90% of the time ..... on ...... 6X

If I am in the woods looking for game ........ I use less power.

I have more time to crank a scope UP for a long shot than I do for turning one down for a close one.

If there is not time available for a long shot ..... I question whether that long shot is wise at that time.

I think of all my scopes .... my favorite over all is my Burris 6X. Done more work with it than all the many others put together .... it's been at it since 1980 and still tickin' along on.

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Does anyone still make a 2 1/2 X besides Leupold? I sure wish I had my Weaver K-3 back. I have a V-3 but it is kind of dark compared to the fixed powers.

In Remembrance
    I picked up a couple more old elpasos today. A K2.5 and a K3, both with post reticles. I don't know why but I like the post reticle for hunting.

Boolit Master

I hunt NY woods, and use a bushnell variable set at 2 1/2 power. Never had it higher in the woods when hunting. Got a couple of Weavers and use a K10 on my mossberg 144 target 22. I like the simplicity of a fixed power.

Boolit Grand Master

Leupold makes a couple of 12xs and a 16x and Valdada makes a 16x but that's about it. I think the Weaver K-4 is a beautiful thing
    I totaly agree with you about the Weaver K-4, my first scope, you allways remember your first,
    It is so old it was made in the USA and is blued steel, so good looking. The weaver scope rings on it are blued steel...absolutely drop dead georgeous combo... I guess I got a " thing " for blued steel and real leather. Sorry to see it's gone.
    Gary

For me the best all around scope in terms of quality/value/usefulness is the venerable Weaver K-4
    My brother passed along his K4 Weaver when he got a fancy scope. My 12 year old grand daughter loves it on her break action 223 Handy Rifle. Nails soda cans shot after shot across a small canyon... maybe 200 yards.

Dave
    smilin jack

Boolit Buddy

I use a Weaver 6X on my 308 Norma Mag. I have had Tasco's fixed power before and both of them lasted for years. Got rid of the first because it leaked and I still have the other, Japanese made, sitting as a spare.

Banned
    Another fan here of fixed power scopes. Simple is a good thing!

Boolit Master
    Me too, burris mini and Leo compact. Small light SIMPLE and does what it's supposed to do. Have friends who rezero constantly, I have had a Burris Mini on a Kimber for 10 years and no zero shift in that time.Same thing for a 6x mini on a R9 airgun. I believe it is the rigid mount and mimimum moving parts in the scope. Light weight is less stress on the mounting system during recoil ect.

Boolit Master

I just wish there were more fixed power scopes offered nowadays. I use straight 6x on several of my rifles, Leupold and Weaver K6.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    For a surprise check out the Walmart type Bushnell Sportview 2.5. It's big but clear, simple as heck, cheap, and so far the 2 I have had held up to 30-06 and .444 Marlin. My guess is such a basic scope is easier to make pretty solid. I do love my Loopy and Bushnell fixed power scopes.

Boolit Master
    I love, admire, lust over simple weaver and redfield or equivalent fixed power scopes. The guns I shoot cast for fun I have weaver take off mounts and I take off the hunting scope and put a put on a simmons 3-9, 4-12 or such like for the extra power to see the target. I did shoot a nice whitetail one day at about 30 feet with a 6 power redfield. I knew it would all be brown so I pulled ahead with hair in correct heighth and as he walked into scope I squeezed and hit him in his heart. That scope and so close helped add to the rush!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

unlike many im not a big fan or the old k series weavers. They were fine in there day but glass isn't great even on a perfect one and a lot of them are getting so old that orings ect are drying up and they loose there seal. ive seen a number of them with yellowed lenses for leaking. I wouldnt waste my money on an old one and risk a hunt on one of them. If I wanted a GOOD fixed powered scope id pick up a new leupold.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast