MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fixed power scopes

I am not a dinosoar, only 30, but I like simple things. I am getting a CZ550FS in 9.3X62, and want a fixed scope. I really like the 2-2.5X fixed pistol scopes. my question, if they can handle 454 casulls and 44 mags, the recoil from a 9.3 shouldn't mess it up should it?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    I am not a dinosoar, only 30, but I like simple things. I am getting a CZ550FS in 9.3X62, and want a fixed scope. I really like the 2-2.5X fixed pistol scopes. my question, if they can handle 454 casulls and 44 mags, the recoil from a 9.3 shouldn't mess it up should it?
    I have scouted single barrel shotguns with pistol scopes. My favorite is the Bushnell 21/2× Trophy. They don't make it but you can probably find one. The upcomlng Wannamakers gun show might be have one.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master

Will the eye relief of a handgun scope work for you on a rifle?

nope, didn't think of that.

the new leopold 2.5X's that go for 299.99 on places like natchez or midways, are they good? are they metal or plastic? and are they made in the usa ?

Vendor Sponsor
    Leupolds are always a good choice. The guarantee is bullet proof.

Boolit Master
    the new leopold 2.5X's that go for 299.99 on places like natchez or midways, are they good? are they metal or plastic? and are they made in the usa ?
    They are made for your rifle. It will not come apart. All Leupolds and the current Redfields, which is owned by Leupold, are made in the USA.

I have a Leupold Big Bore 3x20 from the custom shop on one of my .30-06's and it is perfect.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 10-22-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Bub
    I have a 4 power Weaver on a 10-22 and it is a real good set up.

Boolit Bub
    Excellent choice. I use fixed power Leupolds and the 2.5 to 4X are all that needed except for serious target work. I have some with many years of service.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps you might try out some of the Simmons 4×32. I have been putting them on 22's. The make 4×32 scopes for rimfire, shotguns, etc. They are simple and susposedly tough. Some are available with 50 yard paralax. I have mounted a couple of single power crossbow scopes to 22's. I had to learn how to use some of the **** in the reticles. I have used steel hose rings to mount pistol scopes as scout scopes. Such of a rig made with a break action 20 gage single shot can be a squirrel killing machine. I have not yet used duck tape but I have thought about it. With some duck tape and a butcher knife you can transform almost any long gun into an assualt rifle. Where there's a will there's a way.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

I have a 4 power Leupold on my Henry 45-70. It's a great combo. Gp

Boolit Master
    The Leupold 2.5x20 may be the toughest light hunting scope out there. There may be tougher, like Nightforce but their lightest is 20 oz. I have a a 2.5 Leopold on a Savage 99 358 Win and a Marlin 1895 45-70, one is over 20 years old. I have a couple Bushnell Sportsman 4x32's on a 32 Special and a 35 Rem that work well after 20 years. Mostly I have Vari-X 2's,II's and 3i's, a couple Burris Fullfield II's, and Nikon Monarch's, old and new. WE (wife and I) mostly set a scope on 3x and forget about it for most hunting. We do set things on 4x for antelope. High power scopes are why people believe they are long range marksman. A 4x scope makes an animal 400 yards away look like it is at 100, BUT wind and bullet drop are very different. You should NEVER shoot farther than any distance you have practiced at. I have an older Weaver 3x with a post, a couple others, 2.5x, 4x, 6x, 12x but the optics, non-centering crosshairs, and sometime fogging keep them off the hunt. The blued steel tube does look good on the older blued rifle. While I am happy withe duplex, my wife thinks the large Leupold dot is quicker for her. That little Leupold 2.5x20 is my first choice for tough hunting on ANY rifle. Isn't 2.5x what Jack O'Conner used to shoot much of his game?

Boolit Bub
    Can't go wrong with fixed power scopes. My favorite are Leupold 3X and 4X for hunting and 12X and 4X for target work. Great company to deal with if you have a problem.

Boolit Master

Some of my favorites are the M8 Leupolds in 2 3/4 & 3X! Then the early Redfield wide view 2 3/4 X POST scopes!!

I think I have five of these combined. I couldnt tell you a favorite between them. After I use each THAT one becomes a favorite overall.

I just mounted a ‘60’s Redfield 2 3/4x on a H&R SIDE kick Muzzle loader last week end!

CW

Edit; Another favorite I almost forgot is a Weaver Target 6x target dot reticule. Its a 1990’s scope but fine clear crisp optics!! (NOT a hunter very fine hair and dot make it a true paper target scope.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234