Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: sporting clays.

sporting clays.

Went to ACS with the SIL and GS. to try sporting clays for the first time, for me. It's a blast and I did figure out how it works. Managed to eek out a 26 on the blue and 16 (uugh) on the red. None of us hit the rabbit. They had been using 20 ga pumps but settled right in with the 12 ga 1187. GS wanted to go back for more Sunday, but the schedule was full, went to an Eagle Scout ceremony instead. I left the 1187 for them to play with. They get to buy the ammo this time, we used 300 shells. Might go back and try 5 stand next time.

Boolit Buddy
    agree sporting clays is very fun . the rabbit i could hit but the one they had coming directly over my head and dropping in front of me avoided all my lead. but id love to try again
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Boolit Master

Be very very careful, Sporting is a very addicting game. I "tried" it in the early 90's and have been going for treatment every weekend since.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

First let me say its always a great time when it is spent with family and friends, no matter what the score ends up being.

First you need to get your stance right. Pick where you are going to break the bird. If you are a right handed shooter bring a line back from the break point to your left big toe and back to your right heel.

Lets see if I can help a little with the fast/close targets. If the bird gets ahead of you it is very difficult to catch up and break it. Solution- don't let the bird get in front of you. Yeah, I know, easier said than done. When you are shooting you have 4 points with the bird. 1) Your pick up point (where you can first see the bird). 2) Your hold point (this is where you hold your gun while waiting for the target to approach. 3) your mounting point (this is where you mount the gun, match the speed and establish your lead) and 4) Your break point.

A couple things to try- Don't start with the gun so close to the trap. Start closer to the break point. You will be surprised how short of a distance you need to to match the speed of the target and establish lead. Another thing that I do with fast/close targets is I start moving the gun towards the mounting point before I call for the bird. You do not need to start moving fast just start moving the gun slowly. This has helped me ALOT. If the rabbit ever jumps into the air SHOOT IT! When the rabbit is bouncing on the ground you never know when it might jump straight up in the air (normally happens a nanosecond before you pull the trigger), when it is in the air you know it isn't gonna jump ya.

Watch all the targets before it is your turn. Are they dropping, rising? Are they going to the left or right? A little or alot? A quartering target is easier to break than one that is going straight across in front of you. Watch the targets and find the place that is the easiest place for you to break them. This may not be the same as the person that shot before you.

Try and go out on the course with some that has experience with sporting clays. The majority of them will be more than happy to give you some pointers. Don't be shy, just ask.

Awsar- Having not seen the target you are describing I can only guess what it was doing. Here it goes. Most of the time they do not drop straight down. They drift a little to the left or right. If the bird has a transition ( going up, stops then starts to fall) either shoot it on the way up or the way down. If you try and shoot it when it stops chances are you are going to shoot behind it. Problem is when you shoot at the bird when it appears to have stopped it has already started to move again. Don't be afraid to get bellow the bird. Depending on the speed and distance of the bird you may need to be 8' plus under the bird.

Many targets are lost because they were not ready thoroughly. Often something was missed such as the target was quartering from left to right but it was also dropping causing you to shoot over the bird.

Hope this is a little helpful and glad you guys are enjoying this great game. I got hooked about 15 years or so ago. Enjoy!

Jerry Jr.
    Last edited by southpaw; 02-25-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Thanks for the help guys. My SG skills aren't very good anyway so I'm not disappointed with my scores. The red course was much more difficult than the blue - there were only a few shooters on it. I have a lot to learn and room to get much better. I was surprised I got a lot of the quartering shots, most of my practice is just straight away in front, local range with manual throwers - and I pull for myself.

Boolit Master
    popper, My Grandson dragged me out on Wednesday evening for some Floodlight sporting Clays.Got the old Miroku out.He is new to shooting but beat me hollow with his brand new Berreta 686.First time for me to shoot under Floodlights, I found it to be challenging but enjoyable.He realy has the bug now and threatens to beat me this sunday in daylight.I used to shoot Clays a lot but mostly shoot BP Rifles now.He is 27 I am 76 so I have an excuse if he beats me.A nice sport for the individual or familly.Enjoy.