RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When will you stop?

Boolit Buddy

When will you stop?

I was at the range and had a shooter ask me why I was shooting my 45 ACP so
    much? Two boxes, and what was I going to do if I could not get any more primmers?
    I told him that when I run out I'll stop! On the way home I thought about it and decided that I will stop at 100 rounds left. It's no good setting on the shelf!
    So what about you? At what point do you stop?

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Love Life
    When I can't anymore.

Boolit Bub
    The point at which I stop is when I know that there is no replacements coming. After that it will be locked down to just a test fire on occasion

In Remembrance
    This is one of them subjects I would rather not think about. lol
    I do not do a lot of shooting, just to be shooting anyway, so I would stop with enough to get me through the rest of my hunting days.(HOPEFULLY)

Boolit Master
    To people who worry over such things I have little pity. It's not like this is some startling revelation. We all knew hard times were coming. Everyone should have ferreted away a tidy stash by now. We've had mini scares several times. It should have been enough to wake you. If not, oh well.
    The truth of the ant and grasshopper fable has been neutered so as not to frighten children. The truth is the grasshopper was not welcomed in by the ants but killed and eaten as a supplement to the stores they already worked hard to put away. It's not palatable to some men's moral compass but it's the truth of life.

I'm really weary of hearing some shooters tales of woe about how they can't get ammunition. In the words of Augustus Gloop "Would you like some chocolate? Well then you should have brought some."

I have shootable ammunition and sealed stores. My rationing of my shootable inventory fluctuates with the availability of components. My sealed stores will be opened only when I know there's no going to the market to buy anymore....ever.

As far as current conditions, my shooting volume has not changed in the last ten years.

In Remembrance

Agree 100%.

I continue to buy supplies and components as I find them, and will continue to do so because I know at some point down the line, I will use them or the kids will use them--they will not go to waste.

I don't call this "hoarding," but rather "planning and preparing."

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post

.....I don't call this "hoarding," but rather "planning and preparing."

Exactly. I just ordered a K of .224 bullets because I know the cost will only go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    When I can't anymore.
    Same here. Until then I'll keep reloading, buying and shooting without losing sleep and if I have to pay a bit more to do so oh well.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    When I can't anymore.
    Bingo!

I have plenty to fool with right now. No plans on stoping any time soon. That said, the 8 +1 in my RR kit, the 240 loose, vacum packed in my BOB and various other "sundries" don't get touched unless on monthly inspection. Pretty much the same with my carry ammo for my 1911, those are just for when I get angry.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

I just started to shoot IDPA last year and each meet is good for 100-125 rounds! Thats if I dont practice or shot just for the heck of it! I only got 2k small and 2k large. So I'm crossing my fingers!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Buddy

I've slowed down on my shooting. I used to shoot average 4k round 9mm/year. I have cut down on the shooting at lot. For deer hunting, I did not even shoot one last year. Took aim on one and rifle went 'click'. bad primer. Didn't get a shot an anything else.

Boolit Grand Master
    When will I stop? When I have to due to death or running out of supplies.
    I don't foresee either happening soon.

If someone asked me why I was shooting so much I would ask why they don't reload or plan ahead.

Boolit Master

I will quit playing at 100 but if your patient that should never happen. I have been in the hand loading game since the mid sixties. today if you were to be buying your supplies you could never compete with Walmart for shotgun shells. However when I was in my early 20s there was a small reloading shop in a small town going out of business my dad and I purchased all the lead shot he had that was almost 35 years ago we bought that shot for 4 dollars a 25lb bag. When I catch a sale on primers I buy 5k same for powder etc. The only thing i wasn't industrious enough about was when the first round of craziness happened I almost didn't get to go Deer hunting because I wasn't prepared. That is why I got into swaging and more heavily into casting. Now I make sure that I have at least 5lbs of powder that I use and 2 to 3k of each type of primer I use. If I die before I use it all my kids will. I don't appreciate all the gouging going on interms of prices lots of shop owners are trying to justify it. as as I have said in other posts its their business and their inventory they have a right to do with it as they please. I however have not noticed that from other suppliers like Powder Valley, Natchez,Midway to name a few. Their prices haven't changed They are out of stock on a lot of items but they let me know when they get stuff in and if its stuff I need I order it. I suggest y'all do the same.

I had no choice but to stop shooting, I broke my gun It was in the case and I dropped it and some little pin came loose from under the slide.
    ~Andrea

Boolit Master

When I get down to my "emergency response" ammo. This is ammo for my carry guns, ammo for my hunting rifles, and my home defense packs. I will not touch that. But everything else is subject to use.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    Pretty much what km just said.

I'll shoot up my supplies, but going to school full time now has put a serious hurt on my loading and shooting time, so that moderates it quite a bit for me. I have at least one box for everything in the safe, that is my backup ammo and would last a long time if i couldn't get components because it would be strictly for hunting and protection. I would likely keep a good supply of components for the hunting rifles because that would be all i used for hunting, the pistols would be just for defense at that point, so how much i had would be a moot point as long as i had a couple reloads.
    So at this point, i will continue to shoot my stores, and buy supplies if i find them at REASONABLE prices and i ACUTALLY need them, not just gobbling them up from other shooters.
    And yes, at this point I am about sick of listening to people that can't find ammo right now, I probably have less money than most guys yet I managed to store up enough to last through this stuff, and kept from shooting it as fast as i got it.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I'm 69 years young. I seriously doubt its possible for me to live long enough to use op all my primers and powder. My lead supply is now in a way over a ton, so?

I did buy a couple of bricks of .22 blazers a month or so ago, the store had a whole shelf full as in a few hundred boxes, the price was right, way less than $29.00 a box. Not sure how good their stock now is tho.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

This shortage will pass like all others before it. A lot of us are actually constantly buying supplies. Any during the year you see powder/primers/brass etc at reasonable you pick up what you can at the time. It builds up faster than you think till you end up with enough to weather these storms. I think it's more spotty than anything this time....I do find supplies that haven't been boosted in price too much if at all and I pick them up for people that I know may be running low.

Boolit Master
    when they nail the lid shut on the box. that is the same time i stop riding my harley or driving my vette.

Hmm.... i keep an "iron ration" of sealed stores, and i cast for practice ammo.. soo... NEVER! He who has a gun can get anything else eventualy.
    Any man who seeks to live free should keep a Bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.