Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 4 Bore (M Layman)

My 4 Bore (M Layman)

Over the last year or so I've been applying the free time to this 4 bore project. When I say I "made this gun" I mean just that. The small screws, the nipple and butt pad and some of the lock components were purchased, the remainder I made from scratch. This included a 3 inch by 8 inch by 3ft maple board for the stock, a 2ft piece of 3-O.D 4140 for the barrel and a smaller piece of 4340 for the breech and tang. The trigger group was a combination of machined and forged components. To give you an idea of the time involved, the hammer took 4 days!

While I was at it I made a round ball mould throwing 1194 gr. balls and a nose pour conical mould throwing 1212 gr bullets. At the first range session I got up to 200gr of 2F behind one of those round balls before calling it quits. Bear in mind, I'm still standing in knee deep snow to shoot the thing! Once the weather moderates, we'll get after it in earnst. And by the way, it's not the monster I had it made out to be (in my mind).

At 15lb she's 2lb lighter than W.W Greener says it should be using the 96:1 theory but my intention is not to slay pacaderms so it will be fine. As most were, in the day, she's smooth bore but with a .0005 bore tolerance lapped to 4 micron, the thing will be quite accurate to 60 yards or so.
    My motive was simple, because I can. I would imagine the grandkids will be impressed when we knock a chunk off a glacier off the back of the boat this summer. Beyond that, one hapless Black Bear or Moose will feel the sting before being relegated to impressing folks at the range!

Theres way too much to recant in a quick post, look er over and let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg   014.jpg   019.jpg  
    Last edited by Alasgun; 02-26-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Master

All I can say is WOW.

If that is a part time effort, You need to be making them to sell.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

That's actually an attractive gun, the large bores are hard to make look right. Rifled or smooth....I'm assuming rifled since you bade a bullet mold. How much does it weigh?
    What will you use it for? I can't shoot the big bores anymore, not enough cartilage left in my neck bones.

Boolit Master

Good piece of work. It shows off your talent in a very respectful way. It is beyond amazing what talent lurks here on the CB forum. Thanks for sharing. I am sure you and your heirs will enjoy the 4 bore for a mighty long time.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    I like it ever so much!!! I want one please! I would like mine in 12 bore rifled with slow twist about 1/100".
    When can I pick it up?

Very nice.

I do like how you dealt with the lines and that big barrel. That is a very unusually shaped hammer and it works in this application. Very nice work! You may find you want some sort of cap fence though, flying cap fragments are going to be hard on your face.

-Nobade

I am impressed! That is first rate work for certain.

Bill

Boolit Master

Eye Candy!!!
    Well done.

Boolit Master

The only thing I see wrong here is we need more pictures!

Boolit Master
    I love it! That 4 Bore is quite impressive! The only thing I'd like more is information on Pyrodex loads used to turn this into a true elephant/rhinoceros/Alaskan brown piece.

Scott

Boolit Grand Master

Beautiful work.

Boolit Master
    Wow! Very cool.

Boolit Master

Beautiful work. Wish I had that kind of talent!

In Remembrance
    Impressive and shows a lot of talent, and skill. I can not imagine pulling the trigger with 200 grains of powder and a 1194 grain round ball, that just sounds scary, but it should make a dandy squirrel gun. Just shoot the tree and catch them on the way to the ground, no mess with a gun like that.

That's about 10 times as much powder in one shot as I like to shoot. Nice work.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I think its beautiful. Very nice. I would love to shoot one, one of these days. I can only imagine the discussions that would ensue at a range.

We need more pictures, including the projectiles.

Boolit Master
    I think it is just too neat of a project. AWSOME work you did there. You should be very proud!!!

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Good piece of work. It shows off your talent in a very respectful way. It is beyond amazing what talent lurks here on the CB forum. Thanks for sharing. I am sure you and your heirs will enjoy the 4 bore for a mighty long time.
    well said. amazing talent is only a thread away around here.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Man that is a great job I like it very much. Try to make a vidio of you firing it I woujd love to see that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast